1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you NOT carry, and why?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Stutz, Jan 27, 2015.

?

What items do you NOT carry?

1. blade

6.7%
  2. MT or SAK

17.8%
  3. light

6.1%
  4. watch

19.9%
  5. pen and/or notepad

13.8%
  6. fire source

43.1%
  7. keychain accessories

24.9%
  8. one of the basics: phone, keys, wallet

3.7%
  9. pry bar or Atwood-style tool

64.3%
  10. other

15.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

A whistle, 'cause it's stupid. :p

A compass, I know which way is north.

A multi-tool. Never saw one that is just right or would be actually as durable as a real dedicated tool.

A SAK, only thing I've ever used on mine is the cork screw. Many, many times mind you, but now my favorite wines all have threaded caps (kind of a bummer).

Sly, ManVsLawn, Stutz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

^threaded caps.... right there with man. hahahahahahaha

ManVsLawn and Nighted like this.
  3. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

Oh, just an afterthought. Anyone who voted for "blade" should get a temporary ban. :)

4. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a lighter on me unless out camping. Day to day, no need at all :)

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Yup, no fire source for me. That's going to be the number one not carried item I think. Unless you live in the woods or smoke, there's not much reason to carry a fire source all the time.

For other, I don't carry anything for self-defense other than a robust pen and a tactical flashlight. Most portable impact weapons are illegal in my state and mostly due to my family and the local culture I never got into carrying pepper spray or into anything having to do with firearms.

ManVsLawn and Stutz like this.
  6. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Defective sampling because it won't allow me to leave everything off the "NOT" carry list! ;)

ManVsLawn and Stutz like this.
  7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

No grappling hook, no fire piston either. Just a lighter(s) because I do smoke. No compass, and no doubling up on gear, except an extra flashlight. I had a mini pry bar, but then realized I've never used it so it stays in the vehicle. No firekit (so no altoid tin)because I already have a lighter and I don't go out in the woods. No tactical pen.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I do carry a traditional assortment of tools, but I carry the smallest ones I can find: LM Micra, Ladybug Folder, micro prybar, tiny keychain light, pocket notebook/pen, ect. Being a woman, I do carry a purse, but I like to try and keep the purse as light as I can. About the only thing that I don't carry is a firesource. I did for a year, but I discovered that I never used it. I decided that I could do without the additional weight in my bag.

Having tools is useful enough to take on the burden of the additional items. Having that folder, torch, or MT in my purse has saved me a great many hassles out on the go.

Sly, Dubbs, Water-Rat and 2 others like this.
  9. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

No fire source or prybar for me. I don't need them on a routine basis. If there is a special need (like going to burn trash or light a hibachi), I'll bring a lighter then. Same thing with prybars.

kikaida and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. Ben Rubinstein

I don't carry most of this stuff on my body, the majority is in my EDC bag. Does that count?

CSM-101 likes this.
  11. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a pry bar, but I do have a Keychain tool with screwdriver that could be used. Don't carry fire starter on my person, but I do have matches and ferro rods in edc bag and car, and I'm usually near someone who smokes. And I don't wear a watch anymore, since I'm not allowed to wear one at work, and I'm usually within 10 feet of a clock, but I do have my eye on a G-SHOCK. Someone mentioned not carrying a whistle. I actually have 3; one on my credit card tool, one on my Maxpedition bag, and one in a mini survival kit. Didn't buy them for the whistles, they're just there, so I don't know if I'd carry one otherwise.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Firearms.... highly illegal here, knives are illegal too but not as much.

Fiddle Factors - begleri and such, i dont need that - i have a smartphone or a "comeandgetmeI┬┤mhere"-device.

Waterbottle - There┬┤s no point since the water here is drinkable, to a certain degree.... Cold wells all over the place and Tap water is clean and drinkable too.

Lighter - Don't smoke

Prybar/Atwood - Nice to look at though.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I do carry a lot of stuff, but fiddling stuff isn't one of them. Everything I have has a function, so no beads, no atwood (although they can be used, I wouldn't), no whistle and from time to time, no folding knife because it's a grey area here. So no jewelry, ever :)

kikaida and ManVsLawn like this.
  14. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Don't carry a firearm as unfortunately I'm a California resident. I shall be looking into getting my CCW upon moving to a less restrictive state. Also, like many others, I don't carry anything to fiddle with. That's what my SAK super tinker is for.

This thread did make me realize how much stuff I do carry 24/7, though. :cool:

Stutz, ManVsLawn and cheeser like this.
  15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't carry a firearm, yet.... permit is incoming.

I never carry a watch nor a compass - My phone is close enough, and can do both.

My wallet and phone are NOT carried at work. Locked in the truck, due to weight.

I only rarely carry a MT - too heavy most of the time (sidekick/wingman is a nice midsized one, the small ones are useless to me)

My keys are always on me at work with a tiny pry source, tweezers, whistle, safety pin and flashlight.

I commonly carry fire (I grill a lot at home, and it just usually stays in my EDC), Pry Bar(s), multiple knives, and least 2 flashlights...

My neck rig at work has a knife, fire, whistle, flashlight.... Things I would consider essential if separated from truck.

My notebook/pen usually stays in truck. I added a pen to the caddy Brt gave me... It has come in handy, but is not really 'necessary'. Just nice, and fits well.

Hey! I carry two whistles at work, because I can't whistle and I work alone. Emergency Alert System!

16. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

In your case I could make an exception...for one whistle. But two? You're killing me here! lol

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

What if I forget my keys in the truck?! What 2 is 1!

They're both Ti and so lightweight....They stop overly aggressive dogs before I have to hit them with a line trimmer, too!

Ben Rubinstein, Water-Rat and Nighted like this.
  18. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

ManVsLawn

Oh, titanium...well that is different. [​IMG]

REDDEVIL, Stutz and ManVsLawn like this.
  19. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Basics(by your definition);
    No keys, usually. Its either always in the truck, or the house. Unless I lock the truck going someplace, but thats not EDC, thats incidental carry. ;) :happy:

And Other;

No Bag.
    Going hiking/hunting, maybe a backpack, but thats not EDC, thats special occasions/incidental carry... For my work I do have tool bags, but I don't physically cart them everywhere all day. Don't know how I could need enough stuff all the time everyday to need more than my pockets than my pockets can carry everywhere I go... Have tried it, and bags are cumbersome, heavy, and a P!TA to keep secure and keep track of... Its just not for me. :)

No Firearm.
    I've 90% given up CCW carry. Too heavy, bulky and uncomfortable most of the time, and a big hassle with random days where I'm not knowing where I will be at or be going, and a lot of those places turn out to be No Carry zones, and I'm stuck with no place to safely store a firearm... So I skip it most of the time.

I do carry one or more forms of just about everything else on the list in the poll, but not a lot else... I carry a Light or two, a Knife or two, MT, lighter(not because I smoke-I do occasionally-just hardly ever away from home. I just find it handy at times, and its a good safety to have in my climate, outdoors/woods time or not) Watch, Phone, Notepad/Pen, and thats about it on average...

I'm not big on redundancy-- I think the 2 is 1, 1 is none concept is dumb, nor do I go for the whole emergency prepared "on my person at all times, what if I need it someday" type stuff anymore.

Aha!
    There is another common one that I never carry; a FAK.
    If its serrious enough I need a FAK, then its probably serious enough to call 911 and pray, and any FAK I could carry would be useless. Its either gonna be livable for a while till I can get help, or be BAD. Very little middle ground IMO worth bothering with carting a kit around all the bloody(no pun intended!) time, just in case for a "What IF".

:cool:

Last edited by AK Adventurer, Jan 31, 2015
    kikaida, Stutz and ManVsLawn like this.
  20. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I have to ask: where do you work that wouldn't allow a watch, and what's the reasoning? I'm thinking maybe it is a hazard if it gets caught in machinery, or something? Other than that, I can't really imagine...

ManVsLawn likes this.