1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you intentionally not carry on your keychain?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by zenlunatic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Oooh, cool! Can I see?

2. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Agree about can-opener. Was curious about Gerber Artifact. Still considering it. Would like to hear objections to help decision.

3. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a prytool. I carried one around for a couple of years and just never used it.

4. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Prytool. I second that. Tried it with my first Widgy but it kept poking me. In time I believe it would have torn or frayed the pockets.

5. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

I agree with the last two posts.
    I never understood the obsession with prytools.
    I mean, they look cool/:censored: and I LOVE me some Atwood stuff, but even when I carried multiple versions of Peter's tools, I never used the pry function once.
    Each to their own of course, but do other people really end up prying stuff that much?

6. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I currently use the widgy all the time instead of a folder at work to open/flatten shipping boxes. Mostly cardboard. Especially efficient if they're the glued and stapled boxes. Zips through packing tape.
    We no longer use boxcutters or blades anymore due to damaging the carton's contents on a regular basis. My coworkers stick to screwdrivers being the cheap slobs they are. ;)

7. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I actually only carry keys on my keychain, go figure :D I already carry enough keys, don't want other pesky stuff getting in the way when I try to unlock a door. And I'm against the whole keychain knife idea. If you have a knife in your pocket, aka pocketknife, what do you need the little thingy on your keychain for? And don't get me started on the pry-bars ;)

8. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

You're gonna start hearing people count backward any second now... :laugh:

9. italophil

italophil Empty Pockets

I had a small USB drive on my keychain, but after the third time I stood in front of my apartment and realized that my keys are still dangling from the PC in the office I gave up on it again.
    I would like a small multitool with my keys, but as a forgetful frequent flyer it would end up in a bin sooner than later and it would be the first time for me either.

10. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Since no one has said it I will...Two is one and one is none. Things get lost, misplaced all the time so many folks believe in carrying backups.

11. aegri_mentis

aegri_mentis Loaded Pockets

But here, the concern seems to be WHERE you carry the backup.

12. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Carry your backup your way, your preference. Different people just prefer different methods. I've gone from minimal to overload and back. All my backup stuff resides in my pack. I've read of others who use their keychain as main OR backup EDC. On me myself I have a CR123 light, Zippo, medium folder or skeletool, subcompact 9mm, wallet with Valiant Concepts pen, cash, keyring (just keys). If I want to lighten up I have a P7 pocketclip with AAA light, peanut lighter, Benchmite folder and Valiant Concepts pen. The P7clip with the 'smaller/lighter' EDC usually stays in my pack and the larger lights, lighter, folder distributed on and about me. That's just for now. It will keep evolving.

13. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Agreed, I two believe in the "two is one, one is none" rule. Carry two blades, a SAK and a skeletool (don't need anything bigger for urban carry), a bic and a peanut or eternal match, ... But i don't like carrying them on a keychain that you use for keys, maybe on a separate one in my bag. But that's just my personal carry method and I don't want to empose it on anyone. If someone likes to have a one pound keychain in his or her pocket, fine by me. :D

14. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

One day I'm going to figure out what all the hoopla is about those little SAK knives... The LM Micra seems like the better knife, but to each his/her own :shrug:

15. aegri_mentis

aegri_mentis Loaded Pockets

Agreed.
    Not to derail this thread, but I have never found a Spyderco knife that I thought was worth half of the retail price...but some seem to like them...

16. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I don't put anything on my keychain, except my keys. Okay, and a little light to find the heyhole in the dark.

[​IMG]
    [enlarge]

I never understood the obsession with connecting stuff to your keys. Admittedly, it makes your keys harder to loose, but meh.

17. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

My keychain has exactly two things on it: 1. house key, 2. car key. So, my answer to the original question is, "everything but 2 keys". I like to keep my keychain small and light, so I can carry it comfortably in a front pocket if I have to. All my other gadgets, I find other ways to carry. Flashlight hangs off one of those Munroe-type hooks, other various and sundry keychain-style preparedness items I put in a little case that I move from jacket to jacket.

18. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

For me that would be a prytool, too. I canĀ“t remember a situation where I would really have needed a one. :shrug:

19. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Already have at least one thread on that... http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=17226.0
    I like mine, but wouldn't carry it on a keychain. The lanyard hole on it isn't very convenient, in my opinion. I have a loop of mini-paracord through mine, hooked into a tool-ring (aircraft cable -- easy to pop things off, but still very secure). But a rigid ring perpendicular to the rest of the tool is rather unwieldy when you're trying to use the the thing. the loop of cord can get out of the way rather conveniently, but I still don't use it frequently enough to warrant carrying it on my keyblob.

And in that vein, I won't carry a multitool on my keyblob. Too hard to use with the keys attached. Heck, I have a Leatherman Juice (the biggest one, can't remember the designation) with a Photon-sized led light attached to its lanyard ring, and THAT's a big enough pain when trying to use the phillips screwdriver at the same end. No thanks, I'll keep my tools as unencumbered as possible, either (or more likely both) tucked in a pocked or in my bag.

20. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Amen. And this is one of the reasons I have a can opener on my keychain. For something so thin, light, and inexpensive, it's impressively useful. It beats the crap outta my Leatherman's can opener, and can serve as a perfectly serviceable flathead screwdriver, package-opener, and light-duty prybar. If you're careful with the corner, it can even function as a phillips screwdriver. I've accidentally left my primary multitool at home before, and been happy I had the can opener on my keychain. But what I won't add to my keychain is BULK. I want my backups to be as inconspicuous as possible.