1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you intentionally not carry on your keychain?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by zenlunatic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

What do you guys deliberately not put on your keychain. For me I dont edc a keychain blade because, even though knives are legal in MD (not concealed fixed), I cant take one on my college campus.

2. aegri_mentis

aegri_mentis Loaded Pockets

You can't take a keychain knife onto your campus?
    Wow.
    I only put keys on my functional keyring, and I have one of those ones that splits in two, in case I need to drop off the car keys for service, they don't get my house key.
    Having too much crap on your keyring can damage the lock cylinder on your ignition.

3. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Interesting question - I look forward to seeing what answers you get here. For me I suppose its edc tools (with minor exceptions) as I carry them on a seperate ring

I have 4 keyrings:
    HOME - relevant keys plus a swisstool utilikey
    CAR - keys, remote and spyderco bug
    BOAT/BOATYARD - relevant keys and waterbuoy
    TOOLS - dedicated tool ring with all the diminutive goodies on (light, pen, compass, whistle, p38, fire starter, capsule, tweezers - a Gerber artifact and squirt P4 are also frequent guests on this cluster but not dedicated companions)

This means when loading the pockets I can distribute the load amongst all the other accoutrements and am not wrestling with everything in order to use a particular key or tool.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

Why are you supporting an institution that doesn't want you to be prepared for real life?

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

In general I try to avoid redundancy. Initially I liked the idea of a layered approach; having my keys and wallet and being prepared, taking it up a step and having items in my pockets, and then having tiers for the items in my pockets. The reality is that everywhere I went I had my keychain, wallet, and other stuff. I never found small, key chain items to prevent me from loading my pockets. Currently on my keychain, aside from keys, is a ResQMe seatbelt cutter/glass breaker, a mini sharpie, and a wind-up dynamo light. The light is redundant as I typically carry a Fenix L0D Q4, but there have been enough times to justify having it on the keychain.

6. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Ditto for me... I carry A LM Micra, but I do avoid pointy/clunky metal key chains.

7. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I read that here, so I also try to keep heavy stuff off it, like larger keychain
    flashlights. I do have a Boker KeyCom though.

But I keep my car keys separate from my housekeys, which have a small prybar
    and other items.

I also intentionally do not carry an elephant on either of my keyrings.

Yeah, you get an extra trunk, but they're not toilet trained.

:lolhammer:

8. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

I don't carry my minivan remote. The key works, so that's enough for me. And I absolutely hate the extra bulk. It takes away room for more useful things: flashlight, P38, whistle, etc.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's like asking why kids go to public schools that won't allow knives. There probably isn't a competing institution next door that does allow you to carry knives. In the grand scheme of things, choosing a college that will allow him to geet the training to pursue the career of his choice is much more important than which one will allow him to carry a pocketknife.

10. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Three things I will never add to my keychain are a can opener, a flashdrive and a countycomm widgy bar. I open cans only at home and rarely, and have the leatherman in the bag anyway. Flashdrive is better in my organizer, will not be damaged by other stuff. It is more secure too. Widgy bar... am too afraid to hurt myself with it (sharp !) or to damage my pockets.

Things I got on keychain : Resq-me, SOG Micron, Photon clone, spy capsule filled with 20 euros (I am thinking to remove spy capsule or find a lighter one. Too bulky and heavy).

11. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I carry a Leatheman Micra in my pocket but not on my keychain. If I'm using it I don't want my keys, etc, getting in the way of using it.

12. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

@sbillard, I agree. Ive destroyed three usb drives residing on my keys. I've yet to find one that I trust.

@deusexaethera, Don't really want to get into that here...

13. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

:D

I took the XD off because it was starting to get out of hand LOL In reality though, I truly do hate the car remote but I've had one successful break-in on my truck and a one other attempted break-in.  The viper remote alerts me if someone is messing with my truck.  While I would love to get rid of it, I'd rather know the status of my truck

I had a LM Micra in the past but I also edc a SAK and ended up using that more than the Micra

14. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer:

CLASSIC!!!!

15. RobertPCS

RobertPCS Empty Pockets

For over a year I carried a Sandisk Titanium Cruzer 8GB flash drive. Bombproof, you just cant hurt it. It was so valuable, I always found uses for it including bringing home work and moving files back and forth.

Over a few years due to the relatively large size I had thousands of files on it. Pictures of my family (including my wife in a bikini), my personal financial statement that I was working on for a bank, tons of templates for work, job costing spreadsheets.....basically the little things I added one at a time due to need yet didn't bother to take them off "just in case" i needed it later.

Well all was well until I lost my dang keys. I have no idea where they went. Hopefully I left them somewhere nobody found them...on the other hand it could have been a thief.

i dont know, but now don't carry a thumb drive on my keys. I don't trust myself not to get complacent and keep something on it that I don't encrypt. Think about what you have on your laptop or thumb drive and how you would feel if it was broadcasted to the world.

Not good.

16. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Only keys on a TEC P7 clip and keychain carry items on separate P7 clip. I really don't like keys interfering with tools and vice versa.

17. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

I go for the lightest carry ever. everything else stays at home.

Work EDC Chain
    • Home made titanium credit card thin key sized pry/screwdrive
    *Nothing else but keys

Home EDC Chain

• Atwood Bermuda Triangle
    • Swiss Tech TiNi Utilikey
    • Photon Freedom Covert White LED
    • Home made titanium credit card thin key sized pry/screwdrive

18. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

I have a mathematical approach to edc: minimize size, cost, weight while maximizing utility and reliability. Keychain knives have a low utility/size ratio compared to a normal pocket knife, so I dont use them.

19. Putty

Putty Loaded Pockets

Used to carry but never used so now removed.
    Flashdrive
    Peanut lighter

Will never carry
    Can opener as stated they are on SAKs and multitools and I usally open cans at home.
    Gerber Artifact the most horrible thing I have ever brought I really wanted one, got it and hate it.

20. jasong911

jasong911 Loaded Pockets

The Piranha is too large for my ring. I may start clipping it to my titanium pocket hanger.