1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys do for a living?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Anyday Carry, May 20, 2014.

1. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

You'll never come out of a gunfight saying, "Dang, I wish I didn't have all this ammo."

2. Ben Rubinstein

Thanks for the explanation. Here there is usually an M4 per patrol car due to a very real and present terrorist threat. :(

madlag and chaosmagnet like this.
  3. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

worked as a tech-journalist for 20 years
    now, i´m a psychotherapist :cool:

sungame, microbe, madlag and 2 others like this.
  4. madlag

madlag Banned

Reminds me of an old saying: In a fight, my pistol is just to get to my rifle. Very true statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. eng1nerd

eng1nerd Loaded Pockets

I'll lead of with in an engineer, and I don't take any offense to your post/opinion. I have worked with several engineers like you described. There are two types in my experience, book smart (like you mentioned) and real world smart ( like you wish we all were). I keep a red pen close by at work since I bleed on others prints fairly often too.

Outbound likes this.
  6. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

It's not a fun profession at all. It's honestly the worst trade anyone could ever enter. There's a reason they pay us well. It's because we have to be able to do our job to ridiculous standards, then turn around and do the job of everyone else for them. As a welder not only do I weld and have my welds put under xray (literally), pressure tests and other intense scrutiny but I can also pipefit, run cranes, rig for lifts, run heavy equipment, draft drawings/prints, engineer and re-engineer designs, reverse engineer stuff, fix mechanical and electrical problems and on and on.

The joke goes "Why do shops hire welders? Because engineers, pipefitters, operators, mechanics and electricians need heroes too."

Welding is a useful skill to have as a home hobbyist, so if you can take a couple night courses at a local college or something and then use those skills to tinker on your own projects at home it's not bad. As a full time job...forget about it. I'm at the point where I'll likely never own my own welding machine. When I quit welding, if I need something welded I'll pay someone else to do it.

Yes, I'm bitter. LOL

7. jfoster

jfoster Loaded Pockets

I am a Veteran of US Army,12 proud years,wheeled vehicle mechanic and wrecker operator, spent the last six years working in local school as a Special Education Parapro, while driving a SPED bus route,recently moved into a service technician at the bus garage, keep up 53 buses on the regular,but I don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

sent from the Peanut Gallery

8. StubbornWheat

StubbornWheat Loaded Pockets

Engineer for a small acoustics company specializing in commercial applications. Working on a masters degree in Plastics Engineering at night.

9. Texag0842

Texag0842 Empty Pockets

Chem Engineer

smokingfish, kertap75 and QuodErat like this.
  10. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Recently Retired Policeman. Don't feel old enough to be retired, but I am. And glad to be too.

Sent from a device.

Ben Rubinstein, Krieger, J_C and 5 others like this.
  11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Congratulations to you, A4VC! Been 15 years since I last pinned on a badge ... and I'm enjoying the heck out of it!

12. Elathan

Elathan Loaded Pockets

Now that's a interesting looking set, what shoulder surgery is this intended for?

13. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

That's funny, been 15 days for me. 364/1. Can't shake the feeling that I could do more but just don't have the energy to deal with people in crisis anymore, if that makes sense. Does it go away?

Sent from a device.

14. dwain

dwain Empty Pockets

I am a gas and electric serviceman for the local utility company. I connect and disconnect peoples gas and electric services when they move, or don't pay their bills. Locate buried power lines and gas lines. Investigate gas leaks. Work edc is a tool belt, with screw drivers, Kleins, disconnect sleeves, and gas lock seals.

SBO and kertap75 like this.
  15. GEARHEAD_ENG

GEARHEAD_ENG Loaded Pockets

It's essentially a universal shoulder retractor set. The final production trays are blue anodized and laser etched markings.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

kertap75 and Elathan like this.
  16. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Yep, A4VC, the only time that feeling returns is when I go to lunch with my former colleagues: when the radios start squawking I suddenly realize I don't have one ... and, then I realize that I like that.

17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I am still a tech (and science) journalist and writer, although with a little more focus on the latter part these days.

I have also recently ventured into the strange and scary world of literary translation. It is interesting (and oddly addictive) to work with the results of someone else's imagination for a change, instead of having to employ my own.

mole, kertap75 and QuodErat like this.
  18. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Loaded Pockets

No, welding is great if you're self employed or at a small private operation, welding for a big comp sucks mostly. #familywithexperience

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

eng1nerd and kertap75 like this.
  19. TheMechanic

If you're not careful you'll redesign something right into a "what do you mean the welder changed the plans" I agree all engineers (like myself) need some trade experience but that sounds excessive and kinda condescending. Water under pressure does flow up hill, if you can't do the calculations properly you don't pass. Do you by any chance know the yeild strength, fatigue life, thermal expansion coefficient, and ultimate shear stress of structural off the top of your head? If so, be a consultant and put down the gloves, you might be happier.

20. TheMechanic

I currently work as an engineer for a custom metal products company.
    It pays the bills, it's not very challenging right now. I'm also slowly going into business as an independent designer/inventor.

eng1nerd and kertap75 like this.