1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys and gals train?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by M65, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mudra

mudra Empty Pockets

White Crane Silat, with previous training in Shotokan and Taekwondo. More for exercise purposes than anything else. I'm terrible at fighting. :rolleyes:

2. VVR41TH

VVR41TH Empty Pockets

I've been training Krav Maga for a while now... gotten up to about blue/brown belt equivalency (where I train, it's a 9 level system, not the usual 5). Still "train" in Tae Kwon Do--I teach it, and still do workouts in it for cardio/power, but the specific SD techniques in it are pretty worthless (jump spin crescent kick against a gun, go!).
    M65: Yeah, we have contract sparring here (grappling/MMA-style gloves, cup, boxing headgear, shin guards, shoes), but it's for the higher levels only, and there are two people other than myself that have the levels: one's got about 150 pounds and three inches on me, and the other fights amateur MMA bouts. I've gone a few rounds here and there, but no thanks for a every-class thing.

3. Mud

Mud Loaded Pockets

I train in KRAV MAGA i enjoy the simplicity of it.

and i like the fact that I go into my school Say hello the instructor then train for an hour + in real life situations. NO Kata no forms just realistic training..

Dont take this as a shot at traditional arts that are Kata based, just what works for me.

4. Explicit

Explicit Empty Pockets

Wow great info in everyone's post. Thought i would pop in and see what everyone trains in. Currently i do not train in anything but have been wanting to get into Kung Fu San Soo. Anyone here have any experience with this system?

Any likes dislikes? I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to hijack this thread just would like a little info.

5. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

Sounds a little like Inayan?

6. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Nope. Not Inayan. There is no name for this thing I learned. The mix is reminiscent of Inayan and some other eclectic systems, I suppose. Unlike some systems that seek to blend the different arts, my teachers taught me the various arts as their own distinct arts. In later years, they would show me how the different arts could connect, interact or counter each other.

7. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Hello. I've been taking karate, more specifically Shaolin Kempo, for almost 5 years. The company is called United Studios of Self Defense (USSD) if anyone is interested.

8. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Kenpo.

9. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

Glock-Fu.

If I get in a serious fight, I mean to win.

10. Bas Rutten

Bas Rutten Empty Pockets

I started wrestling when i was a kid and trained Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and kickbpxing shortly after, however for the past four years Ive been training and fighting in Mixed Martial Arts which is a combination of Western Boxing, Muay Thai,Brazilian Jits, and wreslting. I also have dabbled in filipino styles like escrima. Make no mistake if I can help it Ill never go to the ground in a fight but if i am tackled or knocked down and my attacker gets on top of me I will use Jiu-jitsu and my wrestling to get back up on my feet I'm what is called a sprawl n brawler I use my wrestling and BJJ background to keep the fight standing.

11. Bas Rutten

Bas Rutten Empty Pockets

IF YOU want to see the most hilarious bull crap style go to youtube and type modified native american fighting and click on the 1st link
    I PROMISE YOU WILL DIE FROM LAUGHING YOUR BUTT OFF!!! :laugh:

12. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

I've done shotokan karate and now I'm doing NDS.

13. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

I've been doing brazilian jiu jitsu for the past 2 years.

14. omcjf
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

omcjf Sponsor Manufacturer

I wrestled for 17 years through college. For the last year I've been training in judo under sensei Tom Crone ( 7th dan ). Just competed for the first time 2 weeks ago. I'm hooked!

15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Where did you Wrestle? I wrestled college in Oklahoma.

When I was in high school I beat national judo champion Tony Powell in a judo tournament in Cincinatti Ohio. I had to go against him three times in the same tournament. They were using the repecharge (spelling) system of elimination. I got him with a choke the first match early in the tournament. At the end we were the only ones left and he won the second one on judges decision. We both had wazari and some kokas but were tied up. The last match I got him with ipon.

16. omcjf
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

omcjf Sponsor Manufacturer

I wrestled for Northwestern College. It's a small school in Minnesota. There were some terrific wrestlers there but they were not Division 1 caliber. 2 of the coaches in my conference were former Olympians ( Jim Hazewinkel and Ben Peterson ). I had the privilage of being the captain of our team my senior year when we won a national championship.

Freestyle and Greco were more my forte. I won more than a dozen MN state championships, I was a 2-time national Greco champion and also was a national Freestyle champion.

I've got to say though, if I had started judo when I started wrestling I don't know if I ever would have wrestled. Judo is a sport that I really enjoy ( even though I've only been at it for a year ). The hard part is unlearning some of the techniques that were engrained in me from so many years of wrestling. 2 weeks ago I competed in my first shiai, The Land O' Lakes Invitational. I ended up 3-1 with second place so I was pretty happy with the results considering it was my first ever.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

One of the teams I was on included Kenny Monday, John John Smith, and Mike Sheets as the standouts.

18. carlo$

carlo$ Loaded Pockets

i hit a 100 lbs. boxing heavy bag about three times a week. pics to follow.

19. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

IWFA.....Island Warrior Fighting Arts....Filipino style empty hand, stick, knife, knife and stick, stick and stick, etc.

20. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

Ive been training for MANY years in the newer "Countryboy Judo" :lolhammer: :lolhammer: I wont kick your $%@ Ill just shoot you easier that way LOL!!!!!!! naw but wish I did have the time to do SOMETHING :shrug: