1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what do you drive? (pics prefered)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Nex~gen, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Duramax diesel AT4
    Replaced my 2008 F250. Very happy with it.

2. Arjosy

Arjosy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick4305, usk15 and Stormdrane like this.
  3. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

In '04, bought my wife an '01 A6 with the twin turbo V6. Loved that car, absolute blast to drive, especially in the mountains, should have bought it for myself though, she hit every curb with it. The downside to Audi's, once out of warranty, its $2,500 to $3,500 in repairs annually. Sadly, it gave its life for her, wife had a seizure while driving it, went off the road and hit a telephone pole, destroyed the right front, since it was 13 yrs old, the insurance totaled it.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

4. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

5. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

egp, microbe and Stormdrane like this.
  6. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

The wife's ride has a set of Michelin LTX all-seasons that have been great in the snow. This year however, they reached a wear level that makes driving in the snow a little too sporty for her taste. Picked her up a set of barely used Nokian Hakkapeliittas and wheels for dirt cheap from FB Marketplace. All I can say is, wow. They are almost dangerous. The grip they have on snowy roads make you feel like you're driving on dry pavement. I had a set of them 15-20 years ago and didn't think it was possible for a winter tire to be any better. I was wrong. Now I want a set for my Audi...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captdave13 likes this.
  7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Pics? Gotta' have PICS!! Okay...

[​IMG]

Stormdrane and ghuns like this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not mine sadly!

[​IMG]

variable likes this.
  10. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Put a set of Hakka 9 studded on my wife's Buick sedan for the winter, like driving on rails

11. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

How are they on wet/dry pavement? How noisy are they?

There's a guy near me with a set of them for sale that would fit my Audi. Only used a few thousand miles and he only wants $325 for them.

I know they'd be incredible on snow or ice, but I make a lot of 600+ mile road trips from Indiana to Virginia. Even in a worst case scenario, the vast majority of the roads I drive on would be clear or just wet.

If they weren't studded, I'd have snatched them up in a heartbeat.

12. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

They are noisy on dry, and it’s noticeable, on wet they worked just fine, the one issue would be how long they would last. I know they are speed rated, but being a snow tire they are softer compound, so depending on miles driven, you might only get a couple years out of them.

ghuns likes this.
  13. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Over several years I was driving different all-season tires, as we had company pool cars (before I finally got my own company car). The two brands that worked well have been Michelin and Vredestein. Everything else was dangerous or annoying in their own way. On my wife’s car (only 70 hp) we always used the Michelin and they worked fine for around town plus a little outside.

Guess depending on dimension (as well call it in German) you should be able to pick them up online for about $400 or so? So maybe the Hakka are not worth the $325? Well at least they wouldn’t be for me.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

14. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Picked up a set of Blizzak DM-V2 tires for the A6 a couple days before our first serious snowstorm in couple years. I was gonna order some Nokians, but they are on backorder. And I got the set of Blizzaks with 10/32 tread depth for $250. Less than the price of one Hakka.

The DM-V2s are technically made for SUVs and light trucks but since the A6 weighs more than most of those, I figured why not?...

[​IMG]

It's hard to compare them to my wife's set of Hakkas since the vehicles handle so differently. They are both incredible in deep snow. I came home the other day to 2' drifts in my driveway and my A6 is LOW to the ground. It happily plowed snow with the front bumper while never breaking traction...

[​IMG]

The Hakkas are quieter, but the Blizzaks aren't really noisy. Just a barely noticeable hum I don't have from my all season tires. Off the line on hardpacked snow I think the Blizzaks might be slightly better. My A6 is much more powerful than the wife's Lexus, but it's easier to engage the traction control in the Lexus with the Hakkas. The only place the Hakkas are significantly better is when changing lanes or crossing through ruts on a snowy road. You hardly even notice you're doing it. When you do it with the Blizzaks, you feel the car being pulled around a bit.

This might just be more of a car related thing than a fault with the tires. The A6 AWD is 40% front, 60% rear by default, but based on input from the traction control system, it can go anywhere from 15/85 to 70/30. My old A4 had a similar system and a similar feeling even on snow tires. The Lexus is front wheel drive under normal conditions and only engages the rear wheels when slipping is detected by the traction control. While that feeling of getting pulled around can be a little unsettling, it's easily overcome by giving it just a little throttle and pointing the wheels where you'd like it to go.

echo victor likes this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Last spring I put Michelin Cross Climate 2 on my wife’s Buick, really unique tread pattern, we just had a significant snowstorm, almost a foot, they did really good. During the heaviest snowfall in the morning , the car stayed home, it’s too low, but I drove it in the afternoon and the next two days, and the grip very good, talked to a friend who has them on his Mazda suv and has b en impressed with them too

17. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Those are great tires. Have a friend with a set. They have the three-peak mountain snowflake logo just like dedicated snow tires.

I'd love to see a test with those against the Nokian WR G4s, the only other all season tire I know of with the three-peak mountain snowflake logo.

18. Swan

Swan Loaded Pockets

Here’s mine, the wife says I’m trying to relive my youth! :bounce:

[​IMG]

usk15 and Stormdrane like this.
  19. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

Lately, I've been driving our twenty year old Excursion.

[​IMG]

Nick4305, nolaradio and Stormdrane like this.
  20. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Tell her it’s better to relive your youth with that, than someone 20 yrs younger than her