1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you carry EDC that other people go "Wow" at?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by WhatMACHI, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Usually fauxtons here, too. The ones that cost about £2.50 for 10 on Dealextreme.com (Ive given out about 20 of the blummin things already!)
    People often go wow at my SAK Handyman, too, as it has a fauxton, spycapsule of vaseline/cotton & a firestarting flint on it. I demonstrated how easy it is to start a fire by sraping some sparks into one of the "dust bunnies" swept up at work the other day.

Oh yeah, I took my Hockler MP5K (sadly only an Airsoft!) into work once & my boss didnt say wow, he was sorta speechless! ;D

2. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Haha, I never show people what I carry, if there's a building fire, you'd be the first one cops look for.

3. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

Probably either my Waved Delica or my Fenix P2d. I try to avoid pulling out the knife in front of people, though, and when I do it's not with the wave. No sense in scaring people, and it can. :shrug:

4. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

My coworkers are pretty immune to my EDC stuff... The one thing that did impress them though was this...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Since they all fish, they were familiar with the LED beacon used to make this wallet carry flashlight. I learned how to make one from fellow member sed6 HERE.

Dan

5. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Manlaw. Got some pics?

6. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

S&W 9mm with 16 rounds........... ;D

Jim

7. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

One of my titanium toothpicks...I work with other tech heads, and when I pulled it out today to probe something, they were like "you have a titanium toothpick...that you made? Who does that?" ;D

MrOG likes this.
  8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I hate to be dull here, but most of my EDC items get a reaction when I use them. If someone needs a flashlight and I have one they can't believe it. Someone needs something cut, twisted, bent, tightened/loosened etc and I pull out my multitool they're shocked. The other day I used the small roll of duct tape in my PSK to tape a mic cord to the floor and people were amazed! I guess I'm some sort of Super Hero! :rolleyes:

Honestly though, do we live in such times that being prepared is something special? Many of our fathers and grandfathers thought nothing of carrying a pocket knife, some matches and a hanky or bandana - all very useful items for EDC. Today my kids won't leave the house without thier cell phones and iPods but rarely if ever carry any kind of sharp item.

I don't get it :(

9. racer944

racer944 Empty Pockets

I get the "wow (he's a dork)" factor anytime the bag comes out. From a spork, FAK, multitool, duct tape, you name it, it's in there. I don't carry nice enough tools where they get comments, but the murse from hell gets a lot of attention.

10. Hank0331

Hank0331 Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with several comments here. Why is it that carrying something useful generates such amazement?

I carry a Leatherman, a couple of knives (okay, four), a lighter (though I don't smoke), a Surefire, more than one pen (Fisher space pens), a pencil, a notepad, a metal pick and 2 flash drives. This my no :censored: daily carry (You'll notice there is no firearm mentioned here. This is due to the fact that I am overseas right now. As soon as I'm stateside again, you can guarantee there will be at least a Glock 27 w/ spare mag added.) Some days I add some 550 cord, another knife, and/or a larger notepad. This is all in pockets. Whenever any of these are produced, it not only elicits a reaction from those around me but tells me that when the :censored: hits the fan, I'll likely be the one walking out of the fray. That is the way I would like to keep it, and that is why I keep very close tabs on my gear. If someone is wowed by your EDC, that means you have the edge when it all goes down. I know it sounds vicious, but in the end, we're all competing for something, whether you acknowledge it or not.

11. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I see two sources of "wow" discussed in this thread:

(1) Surprise about the performance/size/features of the (flashlight/tool/gadget) I have. For instance, when most people think of flashlights, they think of the 2D or 2C cell dim variety commonly found in stores. LED flashlights are relatively new to the mass market. Most of the higher end gadgets we carry must be ordered over the Internet or at a specialty store and the lay person does not know about them (yet).

(2) Surprise that I would carry a (flashlight/tool/gadget). Frankly, I have rarely seen someone react with disgust or derision at what I carry. I don't flash my EDC gear around. When I use an item to help someone, e.g., a magnifying glass, bandage, knife, or pen, they are usually appreciative and may remark "What a good idea!"

12. Kataklysmic

Kataklysmic Empty Pockets

My Byrd Cara Cara has elicit responses such as

"WOW"

"THATS A COOL KNIFE"

"I'LL BUY IT FROM YOU"

My now dead Fenix L2T has elicited responses such as

"IS THAT A POLICE FLASHLIGHT?"

The Vic Spirit elicited

"THATS A HANDY LITTLE TOOL YOU GOT THERE"

13. ZeissMan

ZeissMan Empty Pockets

:p
    My bead blasted titanium GasBaby was a hit last Friday evening as I opened beers for the many as we made burritos and tacos over the stove.
    ~ZM

14. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

The first was a Surefire L4. People just couldn't believe how bright it was.

The second was the sharpness of the blade on a Leatherman Charge Ti.

15. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

Any time any one wants to use my knife I always get a "Wow that thing is SHARP" Or a "Wow what the hell are you going to do with a blade that big" And my Olight T10 always gets a "Wow that little light sure is bright"
    -Eric

16. AcydFlames

AcydFlames Empty Pockets

Heheh, I got the same sort of response from an old boss a few years back. He noticed the clip on my pocket and asked to see what I had (and I though I was going to get in trouble). He immediate comment was something like "well, I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley!"; and he gave it back, and went on his way. It was a larger blade I guess, a CRKT Ryan 7, not the most people friendly.

17. qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop Empty Pockets

I dropped something under my desk, so I pulled out the L2D to look for it. While I was down there I heard a snicker:

"Hah, what kinda crappy light is that? You need one of these!"

Snickering guy pulls out a 2AA MagLED and promptly blinds me with it. Rather angry at this photon assault, I turn the L2D on him and twist the bezel, turning it onto Turbo, and blast him with it.

"It was a crappy light set to low."

<hr>
    Edited for language by administrator.
    :pt:

18. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Ha! Great answer!!!

19. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

I get the "dark alley" comment as well.

20. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets