1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do we think of Amazon Prime these days?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Blackheart, May 15, 2017.

1. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I have never ordered anything that was prime eligible that didn't arrive in 2 days.

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Amazon has package pickup storage lockers in the local 7-11 stores. Scan the QR code on your mobile device and the door opens. I am sure Whole Foods will have the same lockers after the acquisition has been completed.

I have used the Amazon lockers when I did not want someone to know I had ordered something from Amazon. :)

3. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

Recently I have had way too many Prime eligible items arrive late... all due to shipping errors with Amazon shipping, never had an issue with ups or usps but if it says it will be delivered by Amazon there is a 50 / 50 chance it's gonna be late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and never heard of Amazon delivery? My 60" TV was delivered by their contracted local setup guy but otherwise always USPS or UPS. Last purchase wife wanted sandpaper pads for her little palm sander. Found them for $8.99 ordered Thursday morning arrived Sat free 2 day shipping. Which meant I saved gasoline and time (I live in bfe)

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Here in NoVA these lockers are to be found at a lot of supermarkets. For the moment. Who knows after the Whole Foods deal is finalized? LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller and ballistic like this.
  6. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

I've been using prime since it was just for 2-day shipping, so all this other stuff, video, kindle, music, etc. is all just gravy, AFAIC.

I will say that the one-day shipping option is never worth it, even when you qualify for free. They use a courier for that, and I find that more often than not, the courier can't get into my building so there are several delivery attempts and it ends up taking 3+ days to actually get the item. Much better to just rely on 2-day shipping. YMMV.

We started using Prime when we realized how much we were spending on expedited shipping for the last minute xmas shopping. So worth it.
    Now that I have a kid, it's just a god-send to be able to get things quickly.

My only complaint is with Amazon, and not Prime. The whole site is now flooded with cheap Chinese crap. There are literally hundereds of sellers selling the exact same item with different branding AND a lot of counterfeits as well. Really annoying/disappointing for a company that has succeeded in great part due to their customer service.

7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I really like Prime, it has saved me a fortune I can promise you.

As far as them intentionally delaying shipments, I'm not buying that. They may have expedited it through Amazon or paid a vendor more for shipping or something.

I don't use their other services through Prime but I have seen the difference in speed and money. I do paracord goods for money and when someone orders something they expect it soon, two days shipping keeps my customers happy, keeps my prices lower, and increases my bottom line.

These days were spoiled anyway because twenty years ago almost nobody would guarantee less than six weeks. Two days or two weeks is great, and I don't mind paying what I would anyway (and so much more if not for having it) for the service.

8. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Prime Member for a couple of years, was on BIL's membership before they changed the policy. Super convenient and I also comparison shop prices when out and about. If it's close I'll buy from brick & mortar store, but otherwise I'll buy from Amazon.

I use a number of Dash buttons to quickly order certain things around the house (Larabars, paper towels, TP, laundry detergent, dishwasher pods, protein powder) instead of buying at grocery store. When I"m about to run out I hit the button and 2 days later it's here. Because I live so close to the Post Office, mail isn't delivered to the house so I'm at the PO regularly but they will deliver to the house on Sundays if I use my street address. I think Amazon is partially subsidizing the USPO and has agreements to have workers handle packages specifically including bringing workers in on special shifts just for Amazon on holidays.

Also have a couple of Echo Dots for home automation, listening to streaming audio (Prime Music, Spotify, Audible audio books, podcasts, local NPR station) setting timers, adding items to shopping list. Use Amazon Prime Music in the car and Amazon Prime Video on 2 Rokus and LG smart TV, Amazon photos to backup photos from my iPhone (also use iCloud) so I'm really part of their whole ecosystem.

Interested in seeing what comes out of their Whole Foods acquisition when it's complete. They've disrupted brick & mortar retail as well as several other markets, and I'm a firm believer of market disruption through technology, automation, and efficiency/efficiencies of scale.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The delays are true. I've placed orders that were not Prime; watched how the order status remained as 'Preparing for Shipment' for a week, and then shipped literally Just In Time so that actual shipping time to me was 48 hours. I have a background in Supply Chain. It is evident that the Picking instructions are not even being issued to the warehouse until the last day or so to ensure that the item will reach me within 48 hours of being shipped -- but NOT being picked from the shelves until that last minute.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David