1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Do LEO Think About Citizen Multiple Knife Carry?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by WoodenChicken, Aug 4, 2008.

1. WoodenChicken

WoodenChicken Loaded Pockets

After reading the Multiple Knife Carry thread (awesome to read the how many/where/why's), I'd like to pose a question. Has anyone here been stopped (for whatever reason, I'm assuming we are all law-abiding) by LEO? And has anyone been questioned or hassled for multiple knife carry? What are your experiences? Does it make us look like suspicious characters, gang bangers, or just plain nuts in the eyes of LEO?

2. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Well, given the fact that I am a fan of this site, I may be the wrong cop to ask as it would prob result in an hour long gear chat, but here is what I think. There are a lot of factors.

1. Time & Place

There is a big difference between getting stopped at 3pm on Main street, verse 3am in a high crime area.

2. Types of knives

For example, if you have a spyderco and a couple of other small knives you may get questioned on the need for multiple knives, but as long as they are legal there isn't much they can do other then think your a gear nut. If you have 4 "death ninja stealth killing knives" I am going to think you are crazy and dangerous and treat you accordingly

3. YOUR ATTITUDE!!!!!!!

In most situations your attitude will have a lot to do with my actions. If you're being a tool, I may start to be one tool.

4. Your honesty

If I ask you if you have any weapons on you and you say no, then I find a knife or four, your going to have a problem.

If you say, I don't have any weapons, but I do have a pocket knife, or four, in my pocket. We will be just fine.

Long story short, most cops will not even contact you unless you did something to attract there attention. In most cases, what ever that was should be more of a concern then have multiple knives, as long as that is not against the law where you are.

3. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

I'm curious to hear from more LEOs on this subject. I have started to get paranoid regarding this subject. I can't even remember the last time I got pulled over... but I don't want to have any of my knives confiscated, or wind up in court. I have no reason too, but ... I don't want just carrying a knife to be a reason.

This reminds me of one of my all time FAVORITE Steven Wright jokes:

"I got stopped at US Customs driving back from Canada. The Officer asked me," Do you have any illegal weapons or drugs?" I said,"What do you need?"

Mark

4. WoodenChicken

WoodenChicken Loaded Pockets

Excellent response, Salt--makes a lot of sense. Honesty, respectful attitude and stay out of the bad areas--I can handle those pretty well. And I don't have any "death ninja stealth" knives, so that's no problem :laugh:

5. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider a "death ninja stealth" knife? :p

6. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

I am guessing something along the lines of the CRKT Hissatsu. I think the scariest knife I own is the SOG Seal, and I would NEVER carry that...it just raises to many questions outside of camping/diving.

7. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Its the "totality of circumstances " and CYA (can you articulate ) and the officers gut read on you. What is also an issue , is the type of items involved,a multi tool and a Victoriox Classic won't trip many alarms unless you are being a Doofus.

Chris

8. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I am at work so I can't post a pic, but I am sure you have scene the "fantasy fighing" folding knives with crazy blade shapes and deep serrations. That what came to my mind because those are the knives I seem to find on the not so good intentioned.

9. flip

flip Empty Pockets

Salt has it nailed. If you have 14 knives on you and you are a combination of any 2 of these...drunk/ stoned/ exceptionally stupid, it's the middle of the night and you are somewhere you probably shouldn't be, we will get to know each other a little better.

If you are just a knife nut and we cross paths, after a VERY brief conversation, we may talk knives a few minutes if you aren't in a hurry.

10. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I agree wiht Salt and Flip. If you just ran from a shoplift at a Wal-Mart and have a knife in your hand (as has happened to me) then you will be staring down the barrel of a gun. I think the main points are:
    1. The situation.
    2. Honesty (always tell if you have a knife on you when asked)
    3. Attitude, attitude, attitude!!!

As long as they are legal then you shouldn't have a problem. That's not to say some rookie may not still give you crap. I have let cool/decent people go with illegal knives before.

11. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

When I was younger, I knew a guy in New York who once stabbed someone in the street after they got into an argument of sorts. He was a pretty nice guy (to me, anyway), but I didn't agree with what he had done. He did carry one of those fantasy-type knives, but it was a fixed blade. Maybe there is something to that theory! :)

12. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

These are some examples of what I was talking about. Hope I got the photo thing right. Mods please delete if I mest it up.

[​IMG]

13. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Being that I alway carry a knife, and have a sports car (not that I would ever speed...it just looks fast)... I can say with much experience that the local PD around here couldn't give a crap about carrying knives (I assume, short of waving it around). Even when I was carrying this:
    [​IMG]

Of course I was very quick to let them know that I *WAS* carrying, and why.

14. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I'll take hour long gear chat over getting tasered. ;D (okay you probably won't get that unless you've heard about the taser spree by cops in canada, like when they tasered a delusional 80 year old guy in hospital bed).

I think most of us here are safe, we wouldn't want to be caught dead with one of those.

15. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

I know another good one:
    "Why are you carrying a swiss army knife?"
    "There's a toothpick"

I've never actually been stopped by a LEO, but I'm not a guy that acts stupid in public.

16. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

I can say that back in November 2007 when I was pulled over in Ohio for "Slightly" violating the speed limit for Commercial Motor vehicles I had to step in the cruiser to recieve and sign my citation. The Highway patrolman inquired if I had any dangerous items on my person that he should be made aware of. I replied"A couple of SwissArmy Knives" with a smile he then inquired if any of them had a corkscrew,
    I replied "Nope these have a Phillips head screwdriver instead" He chuckled and told me"Well as long as there's no corkscrews your Ok".
    I laughed as well until I discovered that my 70MPH infraction cost me 104 dollars, but it seems to me if you are not bieng a threat or pardon my language an :censored: most LEO types unless they have some issues will treat you fairly. That night I had my Rescue,Swisstool, and a Camper in my pocket.

Dtrain

17. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

I would be more interested in hearing opinions on how carrying a knife over the length requirements would make an LEO feel? I would like to carry a Spyderco Civilian or a fixed blade knife for a secondary knife. State law says that's fine but city law is more restrictive - not supposed to carry anything over 3.5" or any fixed blades unless you have a good reason for doing so (as defined in the Seattle Municipal Code). It seems strange to me that I can carry a pistol but not a large knife.
    Carried in a responsible manner with good attitude, would carrying such a knife really be likely to get me in trouble or would LEO likely be understanding about such a thing?

I should add that it is legal for me to own/carry this knife where I live and in my state as a whole, just not exactly legal in the city I work in. And no, I am not going to threaten or whatever people with the knife, I just like having it there, tucked away in case of emergency.

http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~public/toc/12A-14.htm

18. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of knives you could carry that would not violate the law. Are there LEOs that would look the other way, sure. But there are plenty that would charge you without thinking about it. I wouldn't gamble. The law is the law in most cases.

19. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I know cops pretty well; my Dad has been a cop for over 30 years, on the mean streets of Baltimore, and I have a few other cops in the family, too. I like cops and get along well with them, but sometimes their jobs, dealing with the SOTE (Scum of the Earth) makes them a little jaded or even a little paranoid when it comes to anyone carrying a knife of any kind.

I carry both a folder (it's changed over the years, but it's usually about a 2.5"-3" blade) and a multitool (a Bucktool 360 for the last 8 years or so). I've always been worried that a cop would ask me "Are you carrying any weapons?" because to me, neither a 2.5" knife nor a multitool is a "weapon." But getting into a semantic argument with a cop is stooooopid, so if asked I will have to say yes and tell the cop about my knife and multitool. Then, I'll probably get some attitude from the cop about carrying weapons.

I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. Deny that these common tools are weapons, and the cop will assume you're lying and up to no good. Admit that you're carrying weapons, and the cop will assume that you're armed because you're up to no good.

According to my Dad, the best way out of it to take Salt's advice - be up front, polite, and cooperative with the cop - even if the cop is abrupt or short with you - and you'll usually be fine.

20. Jeff

Jeff Empty Pockets

Since I carry a concealed weapon, I've given this subject considerable thought. How you phrase your answer is key. For, um, Pavlovian reasons, I'd never say "I've got a gun" to a cop. I would say, instead "I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and I have a pistol inside my waistband, on the right rear." In the same vein, I would say "well, I always carry a little penknife in my pocket, and I've got a multitool in a pouch on my belt." That will, hopefully put the cop out of thinking "weapon" and into thinking "honest answer - regular guy - no threat."

Jeff