1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do I do with this paracord stuff?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by cosine, Apr 15, 2006.

1. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Where can I find instruction for making a cobra twist. couldn't find it on boobdoggle, thought someone said it was there.
    Storm, when you gonna make a para-bull whip? :whip:

2. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Nice work! I sure wish you sold some of your stuff... O0

GG

3. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

The cobra twist is almost just like the cobra stitch. Instead of alternating the knots, keep tying each knot the same. Left side under the core strands, right side under the left, over the core, and thru the left loop. Keep doing that over and over. Push up to tighten every few knots and make sure the core strands don't get twisted.

If you do a search for paracord whip, you'll find a few folks that make and sell 'em. Some of them look fairly fancy.

4. Stormdrane

Thanks. I do occasionally make some things to sell, I just don't advertise very often. I've found that most folks seem to want something made to their specifications instead of what I had made and ready to go. So most of the time I just do a few things by request. I try to make enough to maintain my hobby, but considering the time and effort involved, it's a losing battle, and I don't want to get burned out making the same thing all the time.

5. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Anytime you make something that you want to sell, please let me know. I will take it as is, as your work is awesome! I also really appreicate how you help us with paracord and stuff... :highfive:

GG

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

Here’s some I worked on last weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here’s a Double Twist in black reflective and neon green.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After seeing the light:
    [​IMG]

7. Stormdrane

Keychain fob in a spiral braid finished with a square sinnet.

[​IMG]

8. Stormdrane

9. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

Here’s my latest.
    [​IMG]

I personally think the Cobra Stitch/Soloman Bar is underrated.

10. rawhide_clyde

rawhide_clyde Empty Pockets

Dang my thumbs are sore! I've been eyeing all the cool stuf you gentlefolk have been turning out so I tried my hand at a few pieces. Started Friday pm and by Sunday pm had gone through the beter part of a 100ft hank of acid maroon, a goodly bit of black, a few yards of orange and all the hardware I could find at Hobby Lobby. Thanks for all the helpful info and resources!
    Stay Safe,
    Clyde

11. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

Any Pics?

We like pics! ;D

It can be quite the obsessive hobby.

12. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Tell me about it. I sat down Saturday afternoon with some bits of cord, and "somehow" I now have a little over half-dozen lanyards (and hurting fingers, the last cord I used is not "gentle" on the hands). :p

13. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

I think the worst so far that I've experienced is the Soloman Bar/Cobra Stitch (in all it's variations), esppicially when the inner strands are taken out.

14. rawhide_clyde

rawhide_clyde Empty Pockets

Okay, here's a good example of my meager photog skills. In addition to my first lanyard attempts you see here, I was able to give my first-born her first set of carkeys with a Dad-crafted lanyard, she turns 16 in less than two weeks :help:
    Stay Safe,
    Clyde

Attached Files:

15. Stormdrane

Nice work Clyde.

I had some shorter lengths of olive drab and maroon paracord left over after finishing another neck lanyard and started braiding it. I wasn't sure where I was going with it, so I hung it over the door knob. All it needed was a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on it. Ha, definately something I could EDC. :p

[​IMG]

16. gp_frk

gp_frk Guest

Heya SD,

Can you give me some insight on how you did the wrap on that Clone?

17. Stormdrane

It's a cobra twist done with type I paracord. I used a bit of super glue on the ends to hold it in place.

18. Stormdrane

Here's a paracord belt I just started working on. I was going to try a 'Slatts Rescue Belt' but haven't figured it out yet, so I went with this easier variation on the cobra stitch. Eight strands, do two outer cobra stitches, then one center, two outer, one center, so on and so on. I didn't alternate the center ones, as you can see they all have the knot to one side. I'm not sure how I'll finish it yet either. This would also make a nice wide paracord bracelet, a guitar strap, shoulder strap for a bag, wide collar for big dawgs, etc..... I'm sure you guys will think of uses for it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kept going until the inner olive drab strands ran out. All eight strands were 10 feet long when I started. The four center olive drab strands ended when the belt hit 32 inches. The outer black strands still have about 1 foot left and the inner black strands, which go straight thru, still had 7 feet of cord left. This is the headache part of figuring out how long each cord needs to be for a specific length belt. Argh!

19. jeffm

jeffm Empty Pockets

What kind of buckle are you using there?

I'm working on a black Slatts belt for EDC, but it might be a little thick for my tastes. Anyway, it's a good way to store a long continous piece of cord that can be unraveled without tangling. I'm going to try to see how long 100 feet will turn into. I did one a year ago in Olive Drab, I think it was somewhere about 85-90 feet (didn't really keep track of what I used) and the belt's about 36-37 inches long (two inches wide).

Neither of mine have buckles yet. I've been thinking about scouring the thriftstores and canablizing a second-hand belt for the hardware.

20. Stormdrane

It's an open face military web belt buckle. I used about 64 feet of cord to the point where the center strands ran out at 32 inches on the belt. It's definately not quick release useable like the Slatts belt but could still be used. I couldn't figure out how to tighten up the weave on the Slatts so I tried something else.