1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do I do with this paracord stuff?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by cosine, Apr 15, 2006.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I've started a buisness thanks to you guys! albeit a very small one. I'm selling paracord bracelets to collage mates and fellow scouts, to raise money for a trip to peru next year. seems to be going farily well.

2. FullContactGEEK

FullContactGEEK Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. Yeah, I keep improving with each one. I'm sure most people wouldn't have the fortitude to keep slogging at 21+ whips in the same time frame. My hands do feel a bit arthritic well before their time. However, there are still a bunch of things I need to learn so I will probably post other pics in the future.

Hah....I sure wish the local market for whips was a little bigger. ;)

3. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

you'r local market can't be much smaller than mine so far. I've sold 2. although I may sell a few more this evening.

4. FullContactGEEK

I just completed this one today. 12" handle, 16 gauge wire core, 8 plait belly, 12 plait yellow/burgundy overlay. It's the sister to the yellow/black one. The cores and bellies were made to be identical and other than the colours, the overlay is pretty much the same. Some minor differences in the fall knot and the fall itself. I will likely attempt to sell this one.
    [img width=640 height=427]http://fullcontactgeek.com/FCG/Images/Misc/Whip%2022-small.JPG[/img]
    [img width=640 height=329]http://fullcontactgeek.com/FCG/Images/Misc/Whip%2022b-compressed.jpg[/img]

5. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

now that's sharp I bet it took a while to braid

6. FullContactGEEK

Thanks! Surprisingly, not as long as you'd think. The plaiting is simple and straightforward. Nothing fancy to slow things down. I find preparing and setting up the braid takes the longest. And I'm not a big fan of doing those knob knots. They take me a while also. But plaiting the overlay itself is probably only a couple hours work on a 6'. If it is just the basic braid like this, I do it while watching tv. :)

Turns out that these two whips are also the best functionally that I've ever made too. They go where you point them and if you want loud, they can both go LOUD.

7. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

O0

Those whips are very cool.

8. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

Very cool whips there. I was wonder if any of you guys could show me a tutorial on how to do a braid stitch thats like the ones used in a dog leash? Ive tried all the ones on the boondoggle mans website and I cannot figure them out. thanks guys.

9. FullContactGEEK

It's actually really easy. You have 4 strands, you group them into 2 strands per side. You take the top strand on one side, you fold it behind all the strands and bring it to the other side and have it come through between the two strands on that side. Once it is all the way through, fold it over around the front back to the original side it came from. It should finish as the strand on the bottom. Then you do the same thing with the top strand on t he other side.

Think of it as each strand spirals itself down a pole. It starts on one side, wraps around back then over the front and back to the same side, but in a lower position than when it started. It might help to keep this in mind when you look at the boondoggle pages. You also have to hold each set of strands in either hand in such a way that they stay in order and learn to pinch the last strand in place as you wrap and weave the next strand.

10. FullContactGEEK

Actually, looking back through this thread, your posts from last year were also part of what motivated me to go ahead and try making whips!

Are you still working on any?

11. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I'm glad I was part of your motivation. I began a new one a while ago but I still have to finish it (I just have prepared the paracord lengths, nail, and loaded the inside paracord strands with ball chain, I still have to begin the braiding)

12. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

Great work by the way.

Anyone wanting to start whips, check out this site:
    dallasdogsled.com
    Lots of pic's.
    Dig deep to fine lots of info. :)

13. FullContactGEEK

Well, get on it, man! Lets see what new tricks you got! ;D

I'm preparing the cores for 4 more 6' bulls right now myself. 2 light and fast ones and 2 beefier ones. I want to build up some stock first before putting them up for sale.

14. FullContactGEEK

Thanks.

Yeah, DallasDogSled is a bit hard to figure out for the beginner I think. I've had that site bookmarked for years but never could figure it out because I think there is a bit of a presumption that you already know a few things about whip construction. Once I had made a few, I looked back on DallasDogSled and things made way more sense. He uses a slightly non standard braiding pattern, but I think that it actually helps for beginners because there is less to think about as the pattern stays the same longer. It does make the front and back of the braiding look different, though.

Maybe we should have a separate thread for whips and whip making? ;)

15. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

I would not mind another thread to look though. ;D
    I wonder how many whip makers there are.
    Not too many, but maybe enough.
    I my self, have only 10+ under my belt.
    Mostly neck whips four feet and under.
    Last one I did was three years ago.
    Looks like another reason to order more cordage.

16. FullContactGEEK

Neck whips? I really want to hear more about these! Lets start a new thread and start with that. If you got pics, I'd love to see them. :)

17. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

They are mostly for defense. I still have one, the first one. Wait come to think of it I my have two left. I’ll see if I can find them. The handle has a loop at its end. Most are three feet long and made snake style. One takes the whip around the neck and the fall end goes through the loop. When needed one just grabs the handle and pulls. Almost the same motion as pulling a tie off after it is untied. Scott Homschek is accredited as its inventor. The forum that had tons of info. has faded away. I may still have a lot of saved files on this subject.
    I'll see what I can find after a meeting this morning.

alliance martialarts
    This is the only web site I have found today.

18. FullContactGEEK

Hmm...I recall buying a couple items a few years back off the RealFighting site that were called neck whips. They were first mentioned after one of James Keatings' Riddle of Steel events. What I got I did not find to be all that whip like so they are kinda gathering dust someplace. Maybe I should dig them up and look at them again, but from my recollection they did not have any real taper in them to speak of. Are yours different?

19. b@man

b@man Loaded Pockets

Anyone use Ti ponytail beads? I think I've seen one post with some on zipper pulls. I just made a batch and looking for new ideas. Did some shiny and some in matte finish I think I'll dull them all down I just like it better.

20. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

Yes that was the type of whip I was talking about. I was sad not to had gotten one, but now I don’t feel so bad. No taper, oh no.
    Now back to the ones I made. Yes, they have a standard three step taper. (Or a one third taper.) I brought them with me for a photo, but left the camera cord at home. (no card reader here either.) Turns out I had the first three prototypes in a box at the house. One like what you have with no taper, one with a two step taper, and the best three step. ;D
    It will be next week before I can get any pics. :mad:What do you use as a core? I use bead chain myself.
    I also found a paracord bullwhip pdf file with great pics and tips. But no place to host it right now.
    Where do you get your cord from? I was going to try cheeper than dirt, they have it in a 1000' roll.