1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What could I do better with my EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by bleh, Aug 6, 2012.

1. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,
    I'm normally a watch guy. I've had upwards of 10-15 watches at any given time for the past few years, but recently, I've found myself only wearing one or two of them. I've decided to cash out on most of my collection and spread the wealth elsewhere in my carry. I think I'm pretty well equipped right now, but what could I upgrade?

Here's my carry:

Keychain:
    -Keys: 3 most used keys were ground down and are held together with a #8 bolt. I put a plastic cable clamp in there to attach it to a ring.Overall dimension on all 3 keys are 0.5"x0.75"x3".
    -Stainless steel peanut lighter
    -Lumentop Worm Stainless steel flashlight
    -they hang suspended from a Niteize e-clipse with a hole drilled in it for the ring, which is attached to a fishing swivel.

Wallet:
    Pretty minimal here, I carry a small front pocket wallet. One side is loaded with my cards, the other side is loaded with trimmed down Molskine, There's a money clip in the center. I keep a small microfiber cloth inside. Packed out, the wallet is roughly 0.5-0.75" thick.

Knives/tools:
    -Leatherman Wave: I ALWAYS carry this. If I'm wearing cargo pants, this goes in the left cargo, if not back pocket (I have the optional clip on mine). If I'm not wearing cargo pants, this is my only blade; If I am wearing cargos, the I also carry one of these...
    -Benchmade minigrip: I don't know why, but I've been unimpressed by this knife. I just haven't been able to get it as sharp as my...
    -Spyderco Tenacious: My favorite carry knife, but I don't carry it often because of the size. It scares the normals.

Pen:
    -Rotring 600: Love the pen, but the cap retention leaves something to be desired. It started to wear out on me so I moved on to a...
    -County Comm Stainless steel embassy pen: Great feel, HEAVY. I can't stand the fisher refill though (blasphemy!), so I just ordered a...
    -Render K: Love the machined look, and I'm really a fan of needle point/technical pens (I am an engineer, after all). Still waiting on this one, but it should arrive this afternoon.

Phone:
    Motorol Droid Razr MAXX in a Ditztronic TPU case. Great phone, highly recommended.

Watch:
    Typically either a Seiko BFK, a Casio Riseman, or an Orient Mako. If there are no significant investments needed in my carry, I'll probably pickup another watch.

I also keep a Keen bag in my car with backup pen, knife, a small FAK, and sewing kit. It's also my other EDC (Everyday Daddy Carry) with a diaper changing kit, burp cloth, etc.

So give me some recommendations of where I can improve my gear or carry. What am I missing? What can I upgrade? I'm a fan of PRACTICAL, useful, and rugged gear. I'd rather spend a little more on something that's going to last, but at the same time, I try to stay aware of the point of diminishing returns. I don't need a $300 flashlight or knife. I don't need a $300 watch either, but I have a few. Watches are different though, those are an irrational attraction, while EDC stuff is practical.

Last edited by bleh, Aug 6, 2012
  2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Can't really think of anything. I'm not familiar with the flashlight you mention, but you know how it is: there's always a better one out there.

If you are serious about needlepoint pens and the Render K takes a Parker-style refill, you could put an OHTO PS-205NP refill into it. I have one in a Rotring Rapid Pro and it works very well.

3. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip. I looked everywhere for a needlepoint I could be satisfied with in my Rotring, but I never came across that one. Right now I'm digging the Hi-tec-c, but when I run out of those, I'll give this one a try for sure!

Here's a link to a review (not mine) of the light I have: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?321587-Lumintop-Worm-(1xAAA-XP-E-R2)-SS-amp-Aluminum-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

It's a pretty sweet little stainless light. 2 mode (60 or 10 lumen) twist on light powered by a single AAA

4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

You'll probably get a different opinion from just about everyone who answers this thread. Probably, some of the advice will not only be wildly different, but also directly contradictory. As somewhat of a minimalist, my advice would be the following:

1. I really like your key ring set up. I am not a great fan of having a lot of stuff on my actual key ring, but they way you have hooked it all up with the Nite-Ize, it is probably rather easy to separate the keys from the other tools. I would love to see a photo of this, but judging from your description, it is a neat solution.

Still, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to carry tools and keys separately. Many on this forum have an actual keyring and a tool keychain. Maybe you should try this option and see if it fits you.

2. Do you usually carry both the Wave and one of your dedicated folders? If so, you should take the time to log your knife use during a week or so. Do you really use the knife so much that it is worth carrying that extra bulk and weight? The Wave has a rather nice knife (at least for a multitool). Do you really need another one on person all the time?

As I wrote in the intro to this post, others will have totally different opinions. This is just my two cents. (Relative) Minimalism works for me, it might work for you. Or not. Anyway, I firmly believe that it is a good idea to take the time every now and then to really think about what you carry VS. what you actually use and need.

EDIT: A multitool.

5. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Here's a pic of my keychain setup as requested

[​IMG]

It is pretty slim and it doesn't get in the way size wise. I think, personally, it would actually be MORE cumbersome to have a separate keychain for tools. The light has a removable clip, and the lighter screws off should I ever need to use it. One other thing I've been wanting to add to the keychain is a small storage fob for a $20 and a few pills. I've got access to a machine shop here and I've been considering making my own, but haven't had the time. All the off the shelf ones seem about the size of the peanut lighter, and I fear having 2 of those on my keychain would become too much bulk to sit comfortably in my front pocket.

Regarding multiple knives, I probably don't use the secondary knife often enough to really justify it, but I prefer the feel of a dedicated blade when actually using it as a knife. I agree, the blades on my wave are more than capable of pretty much anything I need them to do, but it's nice to have the ergonomics of a dedicated blade. The dedicated blade is more about feel than added utility. And as I said in the original post, I only carry the dedicated blade if my outfit that day allows me to. I don't double up if I'm not wearing cargo pants, and I also typically don't double up on the weekends. If I've only got one blade, it's the leatherman.

Right now, the knife is where I'm thinking my upgrade will come since I've not really been satisfied with the mini-grip and the tenacious is too large to use at work.

Thank you for the reply. It's definitely something to consider. And as a member of other enthusiast forums, I've become pretty adept at weeding through all the contradictory posts, as well as the ones who completely ignore the original post and post things that are completely ridiculous. For example, after saying the tenacious is too scary for the normals at work, I fully expect to get a suggestion of a 5" blade that looks like it belongs on the hip of a special forces marine. We're all that way sometimes. :-P

EDIT: lots of stuff added after the pic was posted from my mobile.

Last edited by bleh, Aug 6, 2012
  6. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks Loaded Pockets

I like all of your stuff.I'm a huge fan of your modded clip.
    My only advise is to ask yourself (honestly :)) how many items are truly useful to you. For example: I don't smoke and live in the city, ergo...I never carry fire on my person. I do have fire in my work bag (I'm a chef) and at home. If I was going hiking, I would take more than one way to make fire with me...but those trips are few and far between. So a EDC lighter is totally useless for me, but it may be very important to you! (shrug shoulders)

7. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

That's a very valid point. Of all the things I carry, that probably gets used the least. I like the idea of it, but I don't smoke either. I live in a VERY small city, but a city nonetheless, and the odds of me needing to make an emergency fire outside of my house (which is only 6 miles from work) are slim. Perhaps I should take the lighter guts out and use that as my pill/cash fob. I've considered doing that before, but I do occasionally use the lighter for melting the ends of rope and other random tasks where heat is required, but I could probably be just as prepared by throwing a Bic lighter in my desk at work and in my car.

hmm...... :unsure:

8. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

I would go with a new knife as well. Maybe one of Spyderco's smaller folders? I carry a zdp dragonfly often at the office. My Sage is too large to use here around nkp .

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

9. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks Loaded Pockets

You've got me thinking about this as well...I'm also weird about the potential of an EDC item causing me some kind of dis-comfort. I tried putting a SAK classic on my keychain the other day, and after one day, I had to take it off because it made my keys feel too big in my hand. I can't carry my torch in my FLP for the same reason...it just feels "off" to me. Maybe I'm just super anal....I dunno. Anyway, I'm glad you brought this up and good luck in your quest for the definitive set-up :).

10. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about it. Any suggestions on which model? I've seen good things about the dragonfly, but what else is there in the 2"<x<3" category? Any other brands to consider? I want something comfortable to hold and use, but not too long as to seem intimidating or too bulky to sit on in my Back Right pocket where I keep my blade. Also, I don't need/want tactical/ fighting capabilities or looks. I need a decent folder, with a good solid lock and a nice sharp blade. I love the look of the Bradley Alisa and CRK Sebenza, but I don't think I could spend more than $100 on a knife without feeling like an idiot. They're just not that important to me. Watches? Sure. Knives? not-so-much.

I'm with you on the keychian thing... I used to have a friggin HUGE keychain, but after cutting it down, now I'm really particular. I can't even feel my keys in my pocket anymore, and I'd like to keep it that way. Any more items and I think I'd start to feel it.

Right now, I actually have an EMPTY pocket (gasp!). That's right, I don't keep anything in my back left pocket, mainly because I haven't found anything that I could comfortably draw and use from there. I thought about replacing the lumintop worm with a larger AA clicky light with a pocket clip, but I really don't use it enough to need it, and the 60 lumens from the worm is more than enough to get me safely to the mailbox and back and find my dropped potato chip under the couch. :p

I considered adding a handkerchief to my carry, but I really don't see the utility. Same with the little keychain tools like the Shard, Atwoods, etc. I see the utility there, but they seem more like a novelty than an actual usable piece, and they seem redundant with [and far less capable than] the tools I already carry. Not that they're not appealing, and I'd love to have a few just because OOH SHINY, but I'm trying to have some self control here.

I must be pretty well equipped if I'm getting suggestions to cut back on stuff from you lot :p. I thought I'd have a hundred suggestions by now....

EveryDayBeer likes this.
  11. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I like your setup! If you want something that carries nice and small you might like the Spyderco Delica, which has 3 inch blade and comes in a wide variety of colors and steels. I personally would go for a more substantial light, but if yours is enough for you, keep it. Don't fix what ain't broken!

12. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the compliment. I like my setup as well! I'm jsut looking to upgrade. It's serving its purpose mighty fine, but I've got some cash in hand at the moment, so I'm wondering what's out there that I may not be aware of since I primarily keep my head in the sand on watch forums.

Please, and this goes for anyone who feels like responding, tell me what you would do differently, specifically what products you might use instead of what I currently have. For instance, you say you'd go with a more substantial light, which one? I'm a relative noob when it comes to lights. Same with knives really, I picked up the mini grip and the Spyderco because I'd read good things about them, but I haven't delved too deeply into the boutique brands. I know there are a lot of REALLY good watchmakers that are largely unknown outside of the watch forums (Helson, for instance), I'm wondering if the same is true of knife/light/EDC items.

I appreciate all the feedback! But shopping is half the fun! Tell me what to shop for!

13. Idaho Gunslinger

Well, if you wanted a good "more substantial" light that is a nice taste of higher end, the Jetbeam BC10 is hard to beat. Uses CR123 batteries, costs $40, and puts out 270 lumens on high. I love mine. You would almost certainly love the Delica in your hand if its the feel your after.

14. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

15. Idaho Gunslinger

Medusa,
    I agree, but keep in mind that not everyone can even own a gun legally. AND, it can be offensive to some. I just did this same thing recently and now regret my rashness.
    Idaho

16. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I could carry a gun legally here, but I don't see the point really. I live in a really small rural town. I'd be more likely to need to shoot a coyote than a person (thank god), and I don't see the practicality. I have a Springfield XD9 Ccompact, but I haven't bothered to get my permit to carry yet. It's definitely something I've considered, but it's not something I need, so it hasn't been high up on the list. I don't get out shooting as often as I'd like, so collecting a mass of guns would be wasted on me. I still want to get my permit for when I travel back to my home city, but it's really not necessary here.

And before you throw it back at me, I know, you don't need it til you need it, and then you'll be sorry... I'd personally rather part with my belongings (the expensive ones are insured) than get into a gunfight with someone who's a lot more desperate than I am. I don't carry that much expensive stuff on me to risk my life over. Come into my house, different story. 12Ga comes out. I got my XD9 when I was living in a seedy part of town going to college. I was ready to get my permit and start carrying, but then I graduated and got a job out here in the COUNTRY and it's not an issue any more.

Good point here. I made a point to say that my rather tame 3.39" bladed tenacious scares the normals here at work. Think a GUN might raise a few red flags? :banghead:

sungame likes this.
  17. Idaho Gunslinger

Well, its your choice, but I'd always rather be ready. Glad to hear you live somewhere free though. Just remember, not every criminal just wants your stuff, some want your blood.

ChrisJ likes this.
  18. k.o.milo

k.o.milo Loaded Pockets

Squirt PS4, Kershaw Cryo and Piranha is some nice and "cheap" items, if you haven't seen them :)

Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
  19. Idaho Gunslinger

+1 on the CRYO. Can't wait for the II.

k.o.milo likes this.
  20. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section. :oops: Any way a Mod can move it to "General Discussion"?

And I dig the Cryo, that's a sweet looking knife. I always like the Hinderer look, but would never spend that kind of dough on one. The pirhanas don't really do anything for me though. Idaho, you mention "the II", is that a Cryo II? Any links to it? What's different?

Right now, I'm still leaning toward a smaller, but nicer, Spyderco. Something in the $50-$100 range, but that's mainly because I haven't found anything I like better in that price range. What's the cheapest Titanium scaled knife out there?