1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what constitutes EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by gcbailey, Dec 22, 2010.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

I just had this conversation with a co-worker yesterday, just one of those lunch time kill some time sessions... I say it's been brought up here before but I didn't find it on a quick search.

Is your definition of EDC something you have with you daily (you take it with you, but you may not always have access to it, like leave in a vehicle) or something you keep on you (physically) daily?

I have work bags that I carry in my vehicle daily along with my CCW. 90% of the places I go do not allow firearms so the CCW remains locked. There are a few items that go with me EVERYWHERE and then there are those that go with me, but not always on me. So would that be considered a strict or loose definition of EDC?

2. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

My definition of EDC is just that... Every Day Carry... if it is "accessible", it counts. Now, having to travel to "go get" your EDC is not acceptable. If it is in your vehicle in the parking lot where you work, fine... On your person, fine... under your desk at work, fine... at home 14 miles away, NOPE! Example: Some one at work cuts her finger the other day and asks for a bandaid. I say, yes i have some.. let me go out to my vehicle (as i left my bag in the truck).. fine. Brought the whole bag in with me so I wouldnt have to go back to the truck later. Firearms of course are a different subject... if they are allowed, bring them. if not, leave them. We who follow the laws are always at a disadvantage.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We do drift outside of what the words say out here which is ok I think as long as we remember it is straying a bit. :)

4. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

I agree with all the above. As mentioned I carry multiple bags for work, each is good for specific tasks and it would be impractical and pretty much stupid for me to lug them around at all times. However, it wouldn't take as much as a trip back out to the parking lot/building/whatever to get what I needed.

Trunkmonkey - I know exactly what you mean by obeying the laws. For my 9-5 I deal with a lot of clients who strictly forbid firearms outside of law enforcement, so...

My friend is one of these "literal" types if you say EDC then it has to be on you/by your side from the time you leave your house till the time you return back. Anyways, I thought it would be nice to get some others point of view on how strict or loose of a definition they consider EDC.. :)

5. bxstylez

bxstylez Empty Pockets

...something you keep on you physically every day

6. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

I think edc is just that. Stuff you carry with you every day, whether it be on your person or in the car. It is also the stuff that you can use everyday when the need arises.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. rlocock

rlocock Empty Pockets

I think edc is just that.Stuff you carry with you every day, in a pocket or in a bag,etc.

8. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Some people use the word literally and some use it looslely. I am from the second camp because I have several kits and maybe too lazy to give a different name for each and every type of kit. I have a sub-kit within the work bag, one tiny kit that stays on me even at home, there is another one that is also home based but I wear on when everything is not normal ... then there is one that can be labeled GHB .. etc.

Maybe the one that sits in the work bag can be called EDC literally, but I am not that rigid in naming things. Anything that I carry anytime (daily or not), and it helps for "just in case" like a SAK or folding knife, I call EDC.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Do you carry a comb in your pocket? Are you one that always has chewing gum? Do you wear a watch? How about your wallet? Some very mundane things are part of it.

10. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

My interpretation is if you carry it on your person or in your car everywhere you go then it's EDC, as long as your car in within a short distance of you ( parked outside of where you are). Some things are just too impractical to carrying on person all the time.

11. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

One of the things I enjoy the most in this forum (and it is only one of two forums I participate in, the other being The High Road) is the fact that a certain percentage of the people on this board put an excessive amount of thought into those mundane things. In some cases, I think it gets a little goofy, but for the most part I find it very entertaining and interesting and fun.

Anyway, for me, EDC means every day. I might not carry the same knife everyday, but I carry a knife every single day. Same with my keys, wallet, a can of chew and more modernly, my cell phone. With rare and special exceptions, I have carried those five things with me every day for the last 25 or so years (phase in the cell phone around the time the motorola flip phones first came out in the mid 90's). I very literally feel naked without any one of those items. Sure, I occasionally wear a watch, and I occasionally carry other things, but at the end of the day, my EDC boils down to those five simple things.

12. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

My Every Day Carry is my Every Day Carry (on my person, that is).

13. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

This has to be the most loosely used term I have come across. There are people who list stuff in their car, bag, garage, etc. as their EDC. For me, EDC is stuff I can carry on my person only, not in my bag or in my car. What good is the stuff in the car if you are trapped in a high rise elevator? You can't say to a heart attack victim, "I have portable defibrillator in my car. Just hold on for five minutes. I will go get it and be right back." Stuff I can't get to the moment I need them are absolutely useless and don't count as my EDC.