1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What constitutes a man purse?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by kmdesigns, Feb 6, 2010.

1. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

It's only a purse if you LET someone say it is :bounce:

Mike

2. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I used to watch David Carradine's (rest in peace) character Kwai Chang Caine in the TV series "Kung Fu" carry a bag and never once thought of it as a purse. It just seemed like something that I had seen folks carry in some westerns as well. Unless it has embroidered flowers and puppies on it, I don't think I would call it a man purse.

3. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

its a satchel! satchel! satchel! satchel! satchel! satchel!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
    its not a purse

4. TempestV

TempestV Loaded Pockets

Back when muskets were the preferred weapon, men carried "possibles bags" to hold knives, bullets, powder, primers, tools, flint, food, ect.
    I mean, who's going to argue with Jeremiah Johnson:
    image link

5. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

:D I was going to say that darnit! Well, great minds and all that. I was also going to point out how Men carried pouches and satchels during and before the Renaissance period. And if Men carried them first, then women started to and it somehow became their domain to do so. Then I guess Men have to stop wearing jeans, tennis shoes and riding Motorcycles because I've seen women do all that too.

Get over it, carry your bags, satchels, pouches and carry all's with head held high and remember, YOU ARE PREPARED! O0

6. RobertPCS

RobertPCS Empty Pockets

Those on this site seem to be infatuated with coming up with new and innovative ways to make themselves feel better about carrying what "most" of the world sees as a purse. Dont get me wrong I have a Jumbo and always have a bag with me but I have also came to the realization that its not universally acceptable and while hardly a huge deal others are going to call it a purse or at best a murse.

While we can pat each other with a big manly hand on this site it changes nothing. Anyone on here that has seen Hangover laughed at the goofy character when he had a "satchel"....because the mainstream American citizen sees it as a purse. Period. Thats why its funny.

I dont care what you keep in it. I can take one of my wifes purses and put a glock, three knives, a first aid kit, a tactical flashlight and a picture album of those who I have beaten to a pulp....well....it will still be a friggin purse!

The fact that its brought up so often should be a clear indication about our insecurities about carrying a "whatever", or it would never be brought up.

Thats cool, no shame in that. If you were not a manly man you wouldn't care. But many if not most of us do care if everyone looks at us a little weird and our family and friends jokingly give us crap. I am about as secure in my manhood as anyone could be and at 6'5" and 240lbs I dont come across as the slightest bit feminine but I would be lying if I said the purse thing did not impact my daily carry method substantially.

Carry a man bag if you want but embrace the fact that its going to bring unwanted thoughts from 99% of the world. I still carry mine often if not daily, and often carry a larger bag that I need simply to make it look more mainstream. I would love to have a little man bag that only had my camera, flashlight, multi tool, and a few pens with me when I walk jobsites. I am in construction, in management, so I often need to have those things with me when I do a "walkthrough" which is several times a week. But, alas, I don't. Man I want to because it would "work" for me but its really looks a little off to have a little bag slung over your shoulder I don't care whats in it.

Embrace the suck, or dont. I just don't think anyone should fool themselves into thinking that its "normal" to have a 3 day tactical backpack walking into their cubical, or a thigh rig walking the mall, or a man bag/murse/purse while doing their daily activities. Its not.

We as a society constantly forgo function and utility for looks and acceptance. If not suits would be non existent, single colors would be the theme of all wardrobes, everything would be quasi tactical in the sense that what we need would be on a "rig" on our person and not in nice flat pockets. but thats not the real world, only a VERY small fraction of the population says they don't care and go all out for function over society acceptance. Sure we want to be there, but if so threads like this wouldn't exist.

The good news is that things are a changin. Its getting better. When I was in highschool a bag of any kind was uncool i carried a 10" high stack of books under my arm. Now backpacks rule on any campus. Anything on your belt 15 years ago was a major dork move, now its not at all uncommon to see at least a phone on your belt even for the fashion conscious. Small computers, and especially now the iPad type devises, are becoming more common and relied upon so you wlll see more men carrying smaller and smaller bags around with them.

Live with carrying a purse, or wait. I will do a bit of both, but thats just me. Just another opinion...since that was the point of this thread. You may disagree completely, and you may be right and I am sure you look great with your satchel :) I think I do ;)

7. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

I don't understad why it's okay for the women to carry all that stuff around but as soon as we throw all our junk in a bag it's like instant "gaydom" (apologies to any alternative-oriented bag-carrying guys out there). I've always carried a fannypack/Maxped/backpack and can't imagine trying to load all that crap in my pockets.

Don't make me hit you with my purse......

Nate

8. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Oh man oh man I never thought of that! What an impact weapon! (Note to self: REMOVE LAPTOP FIRST before engaging...Naaw! I'd have to be an Olympic hammer thrower before pulling that off. :lolhammer: )

9. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

I'm a guy and I use profanity and fire back:

"What's that?" "A bag with my ____ inside." "What kinda _____ you need a purse for?" "headphones [produce], empties [pull out a crushed Pabst Blue Ribbon can], _____ like that." "What else you got in there?" "This is getting too fatal attraction for me [insert name of assailant], I don't think I'm gonna be comfortable with this conversation until I can check your iPod for Clay Aiken tracks. I mean seriously, why the ____ are you so interested in another guy's ____? You wanna go shopping together or something? :censored:!"

"Got any tampons in there?" "No, but I've got your mom's [sister or girlfriend could possibly be substituted] IUD if you wanna give it back to her."

"It's a murse!" "Is that metrosexual slang or do you have to be a full-on [complicated description of alternative lifestyle behavior] to use a word like that?"

None of the above should be taken as disrespect toward mothers, sisters or practitioners of alternative lifestyles. Owning Clay Aiken tracks, on the other hand, should earn all the ridicule one can muster, shouldn't it?

10. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Barry Manilow anyone? :lolhammer:

11. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Eh mostly I dont care what people think of my bag.

12. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

We've had similar threads in the past, but somehow I didn't realize before how sensitive this issue was for you poor Americans. What you need is a paradigm shift. Or, failing that, defeat awkwardness with maximum ridiculosity!

(Very amusing thread, btw, thanks for the laughs everyone! :laugh:)

13. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

It's not a purse its a MAN SACK!

14. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Um...no, that's something else entirely. LOL :D

15. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

I guess you can really work out quality of public transportation from this thread.

When you are commuting by public transport, a bag is a must. I really fail to see how one can consistently commute for any substantial distance without any holding implement, hence the amount of murse comments is bound to be pretty low since everyone has a bag anyway.

On contrary, when personal transportation is solely depending on one's own transport, I can see whole rainbow of 'murse' comments about anyone with a bag.

16. zombizon

zombizon Loaded Pockets

QC reference! Nice. :)

17. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

You know what, it's time for me to fire back a little bit. :mad:

I do not carry a bag with me unless it is necessary. Necessary is usually when I have my kids with me, or when I know I'm gonna be away from home for more then a few hours with the possibility of it becoming an overnight stay. I carry what is "necessary;" a change of skivvies, clean socks, some trial size toiletries, a jacket or sweater, etc. If you wanna call it a murse, man-purse, convenience carrier, or whatever else you can come up then so be it. It's not gonna hurt my feelings. But just because I don't carry one doesn't mean that I'm gonna bash anyone that does. People have different needs; a diabetic needs his glucometer, a person allergic to bee stings needs his epi-pen, etc. Pants pockets do not readily accommodate those items so a bag is the solution. For all you manly men out there that want to talk your smack about the guys that carry their gear around with them go right ahead, but keep this in mind; one of these days you might find yourself up the creek with no paddle, and the only guy willing to help you might be the guy with the murse.

18. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

19. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

Right! That's my purse!

20. ricci5

ricci5 Loaded Pockets

I carry a tool belt at work and everyone calls it my man purse, should I be offended?