1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What constitutes a "beater knife"

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JOE68, Mar 18, 2014.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

You always see in various posts that someone has what they term as a "beater knife".

For me I see it as capable of performing cutting chores, light prying, good dollar value (not expensive), easily replaced (within a week tops) if stolen/wrecked/lost, and if it gets slightly damaged/soiled but can still function that's OK.
    Right now the Utilitac 2 that I recently got fits the bill nicely.

What do you believe constitutes the criteria of a "beater knife"?

What would be your pick for a "beater knife"?

2. Prometheus_9

Prometheus_9 Loaded Pockets

"Beater knife"? To me it means use without any regrets, my ZT 0200 is what I would call my "beater". :)

3. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

For me, it has to have a decent steel, low price (<$30), and good design.
    For me the RAT Zancudo works. The Spyderco Tenacious, Ambitious are great for the price.

docer likes this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Its a knife :p

R_W, sungame and RoadWizard like this.
  5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Anything you use as a tool rather than a piece of jewelry. That could be a Sebbie or a Tenacious.

The definition of "beat" can vary quite a bit though. From breaking down cardboard to pounding it into things with a mallet. I would think the tool and manufacturer would see a clear line between use and abuse though. :)

RoadWizard likes this.
  6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Growing up it was a knife that had been sharpened so many times over the decades that it no longer had the original blade shape so was no longer suitable for it's original purpose.

TDS, Benja510, FenixArcher and 5 others like this.
  7. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

A knife is a knife is a knife in most cases for me, though I tend to use cheaper (~$30) blades for tasks where I'd be more likely to damage or break anything. Also, people who borrow a blade get the "beater"

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

sungame and LivingUpNorth like this.
  8. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

It is a knife that you don't have to worry about.

In my case I have 2 Spyderco Delica's... One is well used, and not so pretty anymore, while the other is in almost new condition.

One is my beater while the other is one of my favourite EDC's.

The beater gets used while at the cottage, or when I know I am gonna use it hard, and don't need to worry about it.

9. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

For me it's a poorly made knife with bad blade geometry. Something good for nothing more than tasks like batoning or prying. I have no real use for these knives outside of toying around or beating on. Knives with overly thick blade stock, shallow grid depth, and too much steel left behind the edge bevel. Knives with these issues are not suited for any real work and so end up in my garage gathering dust for the most part. I think most people around here call them "hard use" knives.

KOKUSHI MUSOU likes this.
  10. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

If you use the right tool for the job then you don't need a beater knife. If I have a knife that is no longer suitable to use properly then I get rid of it. Just MHO.

Ippon and sungame like this.
  11. Squarebox
    • In Omnia Paratus

Squarebox Loaded Pockets

A beater knife would be a knife which you have no attachment to and abuse the hell of out of it.

Last edited by Squarebox, Mar 18, 2014
  12. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I used to have beater knives. Then I realized, "Why did I pay $200 for a knife I only use to cut boxes and the occasional package?" So now every knife I have I use to its full extent. My ZT0350 still looks great and I beat the crap out of it.

Sachmo and FenixArcher like this.
  13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

They were still suitable for cutting baling cord, rope for the block and tackle and an assortment of other duties. Many were reprofiled for other tasks. This was a common practice on farms and ranches up till the 80's at least. I have not done that type of work since then so I don't know when this practice vanished, I know that some of the these knives were pre-ww1. These people had a better grasp of blade geometry than many people do today.

14. captain howdy

captain howdy Loaded Pockets

This is my definition.....saw this a while back and someone brought it back to my attention.

Joost Heijnen likes this.
  15. clutchjunkie

clutchjunkie Loaded Pockets

If you see some weeds in a crack in the sidewalk, and you pull out a knife and dig them out, that is a beater knife. If you need to pry some staples out of a piece of wood and you grab a particular knife without a second thought, beater.

I have one knife that is a true beater. It has permanent grass stains. There are splotches of caulking and expanding foam all over it. The blade looks like someone skated down the street on it. If there was a correct tool for the job, that knife certainly tried. It's a $10 big5 knife, so i don't care if it gets broken or damaged, which makes it my go to knife for any real abuse.

My other knives just look pretty and cut things. Woe is the day when that one does finally break, because kershaw cryo, as my second cheapest knife, you're next in line.

JonSidneyB and walkthedog like this.
  16. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

A beater is a tool. The rest are trophies.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

walkthedog likes this.
  17. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

For me it means a knife I can count on to do whatever I ask it to without having to worry what it looks like.My go to "beater" is my old Benchmade 720 with a ATS34 blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bud760, Benja510, Syy and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

If I'm not willing to use it then I don't own it.
    I guess I don't see the use in trophies.
    So maybe all my knives are beaters

19. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

COLD STEEL!!!!!!
    seriously though, for the money and strength you really cant go wrong. thats from my experience with the Recon 1.

But like everyone else said, a "beater" knife is what you know can handle the trouble, and if now, its easy and cheap to replace. for me its the Recon 1. just yesterday in fact, i was taking a load of junk to the dump and i decided to put that knife in my pocket because i have lost stuff at that dump before. that to me is a beater

20. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Isn't it strange that the "beater" knife is considered the "tool" that will be used for most jobs that may cause damage/abuse to the knife, but it is the "trophy" knives that seem to get the lions share of the glory.
    Be it price point, availability, brand, country of origin, or what have you, it is a curiosity that no one ever really lists their "beater" knives for discussion, and yet they may actually be the ones that perofrm the jobs and "hard use".
    I guess for me the price point is probably the greatest "standard" for a "beater knife". Anything over $85 is not going to be purposely "put through the ringer"
    $50 and under knives are fair game for mild abuse when called for.
    For instance, I picked up a Milwaukee knife the other day at home depot for $16CDN and am more likely to treat it harsher than my Spyderco PM 2 that ran me over $100 CDN.
    But at the end of the day, I would expect the PM 2 to perform if it was the only one I had at the time.
    The cheaper knife is also the one I would give to those who ask for a knife, because most people don't get the line between use and abuse when it comes to folders.