1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What cell phone are you using now?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Myth90045, Aug 28, 2012.

1. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I love my Note 5 but hate the pathetically crappy Verizon 1G signal at my house!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I'm still using my good old note 3. Purchased on release day back in 2013 and has never skipped a beat. One of my longest lasting phones yet.

3. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

Beat the tar out of my optimus v phone now have lg stylo 2 dig it so far.

4. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Iphone 5s since forever, no case. It's getting less and less reliable.
    Might upgrade to a slimmer model if the prices drop a little or this one bites the dust permanently. Or just dig out an old dumb-phone from the bits box and stick to my tablet for fancy surfing and stuff.

Tried a Samsung J5 for two weeks after accidentally marinating the 5s and the android platform almost made me cry from frustration. Literally.
    Ios to android was a complete shock and it didnt stick, the J5 was a giveaway with renewing my mobile plan and i gave it to my friend who needed a new phone for free just to get rid of it.
    The sheer amount of faff and hassle that came with finding and setting up a to do list app, calendar and email. I dont know if it's just me but figuring out the UI was staggering.

*rant rant whine whine*

5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Samsung Gear S3 Frontier

kikaida likes this.
  6. dolli_llama

dolli_llama Empty Pockets

Running a Samsung Galaxy 7 with my old Nexus as a back-up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

7. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

it may just have been the phone. My wife tried the J3 because it was cheap, and it barely qualified as a smartphone. It was sluggish, laggy, crappy 5mp camera. Its like the first phone for a 8 year old, the way you dont let your 17 year old drive a new Lexus.

kikaida and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I will have to admit I can't remember if I noted this at the time I got it, but my Motorola E2 is still going strong after a year and a half or so's worth of use.

Pretty basic and lacking in some of the bells and whistles of the higher end phones, but it does the job (bar running out of space to store apps) and still works after this time... As an additional bonus, with my (relatively light, and mainly web browsing) use, I can quite happily get two days out of a charge, and being a cheaper phone I am not so bothered about sticking it in a pocket or bag as I might with some high end version.

I do have the occasional debate on whether it might be worth an upgrade, then mainly figure a newer model won't actually offer me that much more for the money, and in any case they seem to be ever marching towards the world of tablets - to me ti phone is already bigger than I would like (with a 4.5" screen), I can't imagine I am the only one out there wanting a reasonable quality, inexpensive phone that actually fits in a pocket?

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Nice, I was looking at the Gear S3 to pair with my S8+. How do you like yours so far?

10. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Yes it's awesome. I don't take my phone out much unless I have to type something really long or search the internet. Although the watch can browse the web, it's not exactly enjoyable.[​IMG][​IMG]

kikaida likes this.
  11. DFW_Jose

DFW_Jose Loaded Pockets

Google Pixel since last November mated to a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. Love the plain jane Android on it so much, I have no need to root it. I use the Fenix 3 HR less as a smart watch and more of a fitness tracker although it can alert me to things like emails, text messages, Facebook, etc.

12. isoarska

isoarska Loaded Pockets

I am sporting OnePlus One which I still find very capable device. Age is starting to show and battery is not what it used to be but I still don't feel like giving it up...

garza likes this.
  13. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

I hadn't considered that actually, good thinking. My main issue was setting it up and figuring out the interface and all the endless amount of new accounts required to use what i consider to be the most basic organization apps. Accounts didnt take, i had to log in every time i wanted to check my lists, unsmooth all the way.

Reasons 1 through 5 for my using a smartphone is my edc is reduced in weight and mass since i get a phone, calendar, alarms and to do lists with multiple date and time sensitive reminders all synced together but with different apps to keep every important screen uncluttered.
    I got ADD so if keeping organized (meaning keeping jobs, appointments, friends and the appearance of being a together type of person) is way too much work i stress out and start to rely on my poor short time meory and handle everything on the fly. Instant trainwreck :D

Android didn't make it easy to understand wether that was even possible and how to do it. All the regular commands and buttons were the exact inversion of ios and it felt like being punished for not being the smartphone equivalent of a hardcore unix-hacker :)

Seeing as things are going with apple phones i'm one new purchase-dissappointment away from digging out my nokia brick and buying a calendar notebook or a palm pilot, even if it means i have to carry a bag at all times...
    If the tech and gear i carry complicates my life instead of helping me be functional, prepared and self-reliant i might as well look for a different kit and approach right?

(Sorry for the rant, i cant help myself it seems... )

Omega Man likes this.
  14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have the OnePlus which I still use with a local sim when traveling in Europe.

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Good luck on finding a palm pilot! Only thing I've found that fills that void is the iPod Touch. Or an iPhone LOL. I use an iPod Touch.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  16. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Noooo! But ok, i really needed to know that. Ok, plan b is making my ipad part of my edc, perhaps with a surf plan but no telephoning ability because no, never, nay and go with a main dumbphone with less hassle and a decent lifespan...
    Since smartphones never turned out to be quite as functional as a Pip-Boy i might as well just give up hope and surrender. We're stuck with the tech we have.

17. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Ministry, i use a Samsung Rugby 2 aka dumbphone with a bullhorn on the front, and a pocket calendar in my back pocket. Couldnt be happier!
    [​IMG]

18. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

I wish I could go back to to a flip phone. They are so much simpler. Unfortunately, my job pretty much requires me to have a smart phone.

19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I still use my Palm Pilot to play chess. No attempts for remote server connection or prompts to login when playing the Palm Pilot in a chess game.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I have a iPhone 7 plus. I like it but I would have an android phone if my work phone wasn't apple. I can't switch back and forth.