1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What case do you use for your tablet (meaning iPad, Fire, etc...)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Moshe ben David, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So it seems that I'm now in a major rebuilding of my personal computing infrastructure. As posted elsewhere in this forum, challenges with upgrading my MacBook Pro have lead me to ordering a replacement so I can stay current vis-a-vis operating systems and browsers.

Well, for MANY years I've been using an iPod Touch, 2nd Generation (do ya believe it?) as a mobile for checking email, checking weather, stocks, news.

Given that iPod Touch is now up to 6th generation and iOS is up to 10th generation, OBVIOUSLY my systems need upgrading!

Took a look at new iPod Touch. Hated it. Weak battery; overall form factor just not comfortable to hold and use; screen too jammed for my fingers to work.

So I'm getting an iPod Mini 2. No, its not pocket size. But truth be told I don't REALLY need pocket size.

The only thing I'm not doing is to move from my very antique, obsolete flip style phone to a smart phone. Why? Just don't want to pay extra $50 or so a month to handle the data side! Just don't need that.

All of the above is background... To the main question. How do you guys protect your tablet (or phone I guess) from being damaged in the normal course of living? What case(s) do y'all like? Most of the folks I know seem to really like Otterbox. I'm interested in how widely that POV is shared.

Thanks and L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

DIlan likes this.
  2. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

Otterbox Defender on phone and tablet because I play hard.

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I use a leather Snugg case for my mini iPad. For my iPhone, I have a Decal Skin, a Tech 21 case, and it goes in a green leather Nutshell belt case.

4. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have magic cover for my iPad mini but no other case. When travelling it is in side pocket of my laptop sleeve (an Incase), usually inside a briefcase, or loose in a backpack. It looks used but nothing terrible.

My phones are in all-around cases with a flip cover. Enough to keep them safe in a pocket with keys and from the occasional drop.

Last edited by T Shrapnel-Carruthers, Sep 29, 2016
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, to bring this up to date. I ended up getting a black Otterbox Symmetry Folio. I'll usually be carrying my mini iPad in a messenger or backpack; just wanted something to give a bit more protection. This case seems like it should do the trick; plus its not overly bulky. And by careful shopping between Amazon and Best Buy I got a reasonable deal on it!

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

fyi, my wife has an older iPad using a Smart Cover and a separately purchased case for the body. The cover is showing huge wear and tear; enough so I knew I wasn't going to that route!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Old Soul

Old Soul Loaded Pockets

Otterbox Defender on my iPad. Life proof on iPhone.

dml24 likes this.
  7. Vartz04
    • +1 Supporter

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Zagg keyboard case on iPad Air 2. Need to get a screen protector on it too.

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have the Invisible Shield/Zagg "glass" screen protector on my iPhone & on my Mini iPad. I absolutely love it!!

9. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Cannot go wrong with an Otterbox product!

10. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

Unicorn Beetle cases are awesome!!

11. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

Otterbox for my samsung tablet, and a body glove for my samsung because they do not make an otterbox for it.

12. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

I use Magpul cases on all of the devices I own that they make cases for. Have never had damage on anything since I started using them on my iPhone 3, whenever it was that it was released.

13. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Ise Otterbox Defenders for both my iPhone and iPad. My favorite phone case was Case-Mate Tough Extreme but they stopped making it.

14. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

I've been using the urban armour gear case for my surface. Military drop tested, which is nice, and has a unique look to it as well.

15. Badillac

Badillac Loaded Pockets

Life proof on the iPad mini. On my phone just use some cheap Amazon case, works well.

16. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

I strongly advise for getting a case with keyboard for heavy tablet use... I own some 8" Nextbok and whenever I need tablet for something more seriously than reading e-books I put it in this case.

17. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Same. Samsung tablet and iPhone.

18. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I'm using the Logitech keyboard case on my Samsung tablet.

19. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Does otterbox case seem bulky sometimes?

20. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

The Otterbox is bulky on my iPhone but the size is great especially when in use while firefighting, sports or any physical activity. However it is not mu h different in size if you have one of those folding flip cases to put your phone in.

The Otterbox for my Samsung tablet (Tab A 9.7 with s-pen) is very comfortable to use and hold especially as my tablet is very thin. The Otterbox also comes with a removeable hardcover which doubles as a stand. With the cover on it is quite thick but this is so it meets drop and fall protection standards. It also has a built in acces point for the s-pen.

I did not use my tablet for 7 days while waiting for delivery of my cover which is how important the cover is to me.