1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What can you remove from your EDC carry?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Mumbojumboo, Feb 6, 2016.

1. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I will break down my carry by item and what my alternatives would be if i didn't carry it.
    Knives - i work in an office so there isn't much call for one beyond opening stubborn snacks and the occasional paper-cutting or eating utensil use, so i suppose i could make do with scissors and the plasticware from the office cafeteria. I'd still rather have a real knife for my food, and it is easier/comfier to carry than scissors for office tasks. I could probably leave the main folder at home since there's a little blade on my keybar, but I don't wanna and you can't make me

Keybar - this holds my keys and one of my blades. there are definitely lighter/cheaper options out there, but i switched to a keybar after trying those because they were annoying and/or uncomfortable, so i don't want to switch back. plus it has a cool pocket clip that matches my prybar:
    [​IMG]

hank: yes, i could leave this at home. it mostly just wipes my phone and my glasses, and serves as a backdrop for instagram pics. disposable napkins are easy enough to get hold of, but not as nice looking. it is light/small/unobstrusive enough that carrying it is no hassle (folded up against wallet in my left front pocket), so It comes with me anyway.

prybar: mostly gets used at home to open beverages, occasional screwdriver use away from home if i need to tighten the screws on my keybar. I think my kitchen can-opener has a bottle opening bit on it, but given how hard it is to find that when i need it i'd rather have this separate tool for the task. definitely a thing i could leave behind, but leaving it out of my wallet would make it harder to find when i need it, so it stays in.

light: mine is little and easy to use, sits neatly in my caddy next to knife and keybar. i often find myself outdoors at night due to working night shift, so it comes in handy for lighting my way, being visible to others (there's a lot of distracted too-fast driving in my office parking lot after work), etc. no good alternatives, definitely keeping it on me.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've learned that I can get by with just a pen, my pocket notebook, a Microstream, a handkerchief, my watch and my wallet. But I don't like to scrape by with that little. I could comfortably cut the mini Bic, the p38 can opener and the redundant knives from my carry, but the mini Bic and the can opener are so small and useful that I wouldn't want to (even if I don't use them daily), and knives is my base hobby that started me in all of this madness so I won't be cutting down my traditional and tough 2 knife carry system anytime soon.

Really that describes my whole pocket carry... all of the extra stuff (except cell phone and keys) stays in my bag. I like keeping my pocket carry light.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

If we fall back to the idea that there are two types of items we carry, 1. things we use often, and 2. things we might need at some point, then the 2nd type could be eliminated. All the spares, duplicates, spare batteries, 1st aid, weapons, etc., rarely if ever get used. Most people, even non-EDCers, get through their daily lives carrying the stuff they need.

The point of being prepared, though, is to be prepared even for things that don't happen every day. My philosophy is that a good set of gear can be handy in any number of circumstances that don't present themselves to any one of us on a daily basis.
    I deliberately double up on gear I find important: 2 knives, 2 pens, 2 flashlights and spare batteries for both (not counting the fauxton and phone), cash in different places plus multiple cards, 2 multitools (Rebar and LM Style), spare house key and spare car key (kept separate), I only carry one lighter because I don't smoke and never need it - if I used it much I'd carry more.

You could remove everything except for the essentials and make it through the day without dying, most of the time. Most of us could get through a day, or a month, at the office without a knife/flashlight/multitool; look at your coworkers - they do.

You could remove so much from your EDC that you wouldn't even qualify as an EDCer, if you really wanted to, but that would suck, and be stupid, and then you'd be just like everyone else. And then if something weird did come up, you'd be as helpless and powerless and screwed as everyone else.

There is no benefit to minimalism. The very poor try to make a virtue out of minimalism, but that's just an afterthought on top of necessity. If you're not strong enough to carry some spare gear, then carry it twice as far to build up the muscle you need. Gear can be handy, and fun.

Most days you'd survive without a flashlight, but you know how useful it can be. Most common flashlighting tasks can be met with 20 lumens, but why limit yourself? Most people make it through most days without a Leatherman or SAK, but you know how much easier life is when you need to fix something and the tool is right there in your pocket.

My rebuttal question would be: If not to free up space for better EDC items, why would you want to remove useful items from your EDC carry?

4. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. IMO EDC or preparedness or whatever you wish to call it is equally -or more- a mindset than an inventory list. I feel that most of the folks posting here would not be "as helpless and powerless and screwed as everyone else" in case of an emergency.

Sure, tools are essential, but what I feel differs the average EDC'er from just an average person are the skills and knowledge of actually using said tools and applying the skills - and tools - to the situation. If one were empty handed I'd bet an average EDC'er would be more likely to MacGyver his/hers way to safety with makeshift tools and context-appropriate reasoning.

A pocket knife may be just a pocket knife, depending on whose pocket it's in. I may not carry a whole bunch of stuff on me always, but I'm fully aware of the capabilities and condition of my current gear. I know I can get a fire going in pouring rain, in a wet swamp, with nothing more than a Vic Classic and a firesteel, because I've done it often enough to get skillful at it. I also know people who couldn't get a fire going with a bucket of napalm.

Last edited by alces, Feb 29, 2016
  5. Koogan

Koogan Loaded Pockets

I could easily go without my folder and just add a small keychain blade to my edc (like I'm gonna do anyway when my Vic classic arrives), but then I remember the movie 127 hours and I think "would I prefer to cut my arm with my folder or with a keychain blade?". haha

Mumbojumboo and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I try cary as little crap as is needed. When I started reading this forum, I had to have all the little gadgets and stuff I saw. My key chain ended up looking like a janitors! but I work in an office and I'm active as a Chiropractor, so I can't have a lot of stuff in my pockets or on me all day. I think I've stripped down as low as I'm willing to or able to go:
    Key smart with house/office/truck key. no keyless entry for me anymore!
    Fenix EO5 or whatever. I always need a light
    Key Hanger. just got it and makes my keys fit in my pocket so much better. up and down rather than sideways!
    Folding knife. currently Kershaw Auto but also benchmades sometimes
    Phone with case that holds work ID and a couple bucks.
    Zebra steel pen. I sign like 400 things a day (literally) and a steel click pen works for that, or a glass breaker or a kubaton in a pinch

this is my set up so I could be anywhere in the office/on campus and just leave if need be. no worries about getting back to my office to get keys or whatever.
    I don't carry my wallet at work because if I need to buy something I can go get money.

in the course of this, I've gotten rid of glow fobs, lighters, useless little flashlights, pry bars, multi tools, even the keys to my mailbox (it's at home, why do I need it out in the world?) and keys to my wife's car. I add whatever I need for the day, but otherwise I'm trying to carry less but more useful stuff.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I find myself straddling the fence between two points of view.
    1. that edc includes the mindset of being prepared -- which includes equipped -- to handle reasonable albeit unexpected/rare events. And these by the way include someone saying 'has anyone got something I can cut this piece of *** with?' to being able to find a way during an emergency through an unlit space to handling 'some' range of First Aid (more later...)
    2. the second point of view that says well, the line has to be drawn somewhere on how much to carry! Even with first aid, just how much can reasonably be carried -- and needs to be balanced against one's own skills to properly use it.
    I'm pretty well satisfied with my on-person carry. Maybe I don't 'need' to carry two folding knives. But I just like to. So I will continue to do so. On the other hand, my edc bag I know needs to be reviewed and reconsidered as so many of the rest of you do with yours. There is an assortment of 'just in case' stuff; none of which is heavy nor bulky but in aggregate does add up. But the major chunk is a FAK I assembled last summer (that's when the bug REALLY bit me! ;) ) and which I really feel I probably went overboard. Especially since I STILL have not taken a First Aid course ! :( Much of it is a broad assortment of simple stuff (pads, tape, etc) as well as some small packs of OTC meds. I've just been loathe to thin it down. Yet on days when I don't have it with me I am perfectly comfortable just with an Altoids boo-boo kit... So something WILL give!
    I hope this thread continues as an ongoing vibrant conversation. If nothing else it stimulates thoughts!
    Moshe ben David

Water-Rat and Mumbojumboo like this.
  8. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

Funny how some items have become obsolete in a matter of a few years. I've dropped a digital camera and mp3 player, and next to go is USB stick. Simply mot needed anymore. Bottle openers are history but they still come with all multitools. Haven't opened a crown cap in years.

My wallet is getting thinner each year that passes. Still some 7-8 cards needed at least once a month, so they stay on. No coins needed for parking or phone. Hardly any use for cash at all (but I like it).

Unfortunately, phones are getting bigger and bigger, and battery life shorter. It's like back to the 90s when you had to carry a spare battery. So a power bank or charging cable is becoming an on-person necessity.

I carry nothing unnecessary. I'm down to bare bones. Anything can go, of course, but the last items will be keys, knife, light, credit card, ID.

bryan123, Water-Rat and Mumbojumboo like this.
  9. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

I really like gadgets and widgets and what nots. Always saying to myself "ohhhhh I should buy that " but then it dawns on me that I'll never use it. I carry what I use. My waller, knife, Gerber shard, pen, notepad and a flashlight. I use these almost daily. I only have 1 item that doesn't get used everyday and it's my gun. I'd love to have all kinds of fun edc things that look cool. But i always come back to the same question. Why?

Water-Rat, NelsonIII and Mumbojumboo like this.
  10. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

I do like toying with edc-able items, trying out new carry methods and putting together fantasy kits. Call it my Bat Belt obsession. But only stuff that gets used ever makes it into my edc. My favourite theme is an easy-on, easy-off belt pouch kit that holds everything. But when I put together a nice, comprehensive kit, I never use it. My stuff just goes nicely back to my pockets.

Mind you, if phones get any bigger, it's fanny pack time.

11. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

an EDCer may have a better sense of what tools they need and how/where to get it or improvise something close enough. having the specific tool for the job feels good to an EDCer, but so does getting the job done via off-label use of whatever tool is in their pocket at the time.

I love this rebuttal question. i only remove things from my carry because something newer/better has come along. I used Skinth pocket panels for ages and then i got a Hanksbyhank caddy, which is so much comfier for me. similar story with the Keybar as the tail end of much trial and error on the most comfortable and easy to use way to carry my keys (plus coolest looking and accomodating a Ramon Chaves friction folder).

12. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the thread. Keep asking myself this question. Keep thinking just because I haven't used it yet doesn't mean I won't need it to handle the unexpected. I already had enough to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  13. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

To reduce bulk, weight, and noise and increase comfort, of course! Also, to adapt to weather changes that necessitate wearing less clothes and therefore less pockets.

The only things I have removed from my on person carry for good and weren't replaced by better gear were duct tape and all my non-essential keys. The duct tape, I just didn't use it that much. Maybe once a month, if that, so my tape storage is now in my work bag. As for the keys, there's no need to carry a key to my friend's house, loyalty cards, a key to my Dad's travel trailer, or a key to a car I'm not driving all the time. When I need them, they get unclipped from a carabiner in a drawer and added onto my keys via gate clips or an exotac free key system.

I do drop various things from my edc when I know I'm less likely to need them. For example, if I have a FAK in my car and there's a FAK where I'm going, then there's no real reason to carry my pocket FAK (I still have bandaids in the wallet, of course). If I'm less likely to need a knife or light, then I just carry smaller ones on my keys instead of the larger, more capable ones that normally ride in my pockets.

victograph and Mumbojumboo like this.
  14. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Frankly...nothing.

I have traveled far and wide (the World) honestly, and I've spent a great deal of time contemplating what I carry and why. Over the years I have discarded many things out of my EDC (bags or whatever). Honestly, it's been an evolution which has taken a very long time, but I am very happy now grabbing a bag knowing I only have what I truly need, and no superfluous stuff I don't. Anymore, when I pick up my pack or bag, I am consciously happy about how light it is, how mobile it is, but always reassured it has everything I need. I am even more 'happy' when I need something and have just that...and nothing more.

I'm actually kind of proud of it all, actually. It's taken a while, but really...the very nature of "Every Day" requires a few 'days' to figure out what you REALLY need...and not just what's 'cool'.

Gary Gross, Water-Rat and c99camper like this.
  15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

All true..... international travel.. compared to domestic travel. I'll never have one go to system.

For example I don't take plug adaptors to Florida......I know Chile uses type c. Anywhere else... I might throw in a variety. Not necessarily everyday stuff though.

Moshe ben David and c99camper like this.
  16. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I have slowly removed things from my person over time. Right now, I keep on-person
    • Sunglasses (around my neck when not worn)
    • Phone (left pocket)
    • Wallet (right pocket)
    • Knife (right pocket, clipped)
    • Flashlight (right pocket)
    • Watch (left wrist)
    • BT headphones (around my neck)
    Notice I didn't even list my keys. 90% of the time, they are attached to my bag. The other 10%, they are on a belt loop. But even my keychain has grown small. Car key, house key, and a Beta QRv2 attached to a small Ti carabiner.
    Anything else goes in my bag, and the bag is always close by.
    If I absolutely had to get rid of something on my person, I guess it would be the flashlight; but no. I'm not going to not have a flashlight in my pocket. Right now it's a ZL SC63w, a tiny little powerhouse, and I love it.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I CAN remove everything.
    What I have removed are most of those stupid split rings and the expectation that need to carry more. And no, less is NOT more. Less is just LESS.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  18. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Nothing, my EDC is fairly simple & basic.

19. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Nothing, my EDC is fairly simple & basic. I carry a phone, knife, wallet, 2 knives and a light or 2.

20. Doc Steelgrave

Doc Steelgrave Uber Prepared

I am down to a reasonable pocket knife, watch, house key, office key, car of the day key, some band aids in my wallet and a lighter (I do not smoke but it comes in handy sometimes).
    I have tons of edc gear but just do not carry it anymore:)

Moshe ben David likes this.