1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What can you remove from your EDC carry?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Mumbojumboo, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

We've all learned a lot about what people carry and why? I've learned about things that I had no idea existed. Different situations require different tools. I am curious. What can you remove from your EDC carry?

[​IMG]mumbo remove by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

wallet tool...Flatbaby. I used it once to change out a brake light but it was a bit of a stretch. I had to find a1/4 inch driver and a bit. Yes, it is light but adds very little long term benefit.

Fire... don't need it much unless I'm starting a fire. I could easily not have it on my person.

Extra batteries.... if you need a light. Change the batteries before you go. Handy but do I really need extras... and how many?

Edit: The above pic is a weekend dump... I guess that might lead to another question.... How does your week vs weekend dump differ?

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Feb 6, 2016
  2. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

Blasphemy!!!! Just kidding. My carry is always evolving and dependent on my plans for the day.

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I can remove anything and everything from my EDC, i'm just not going to ;)

4. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I have a lot I can remove, and as far as on person carry goes... In pretty much whittled it down to bare essentials. But in my bag, oh my bag! I have a bunch of wrenches and tools that i have never used. I know I will need them as soon as I do remove. His this the EDC version of FOMO?

Replete and Mumbojumboo like this.
  5. barrett50

barrett50 Loaded Pockets

I recently changed my edc up a little (who doesn't?) and purchased a slimmer wallet and dropped the thrunite ti3 from my keychain as I wasn't using it.
    Everyone has something that they can remove.. but will they? :D

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  6. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

Honestly? I'm gonna get flamed here, but I could easily go without a dedicated folder. I'm always carrying a Leatherman rebar and a alox victorinox. I just can't bring myself to leave my ZT0560BW behind

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

7. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Yup. The only reason I carry a pocket knife (SAK) is because I'm used to having one. There's always a multitool close by for anything serious and a keychain tool in my pocket for small tasks so the pocket knife doesn't really see much use. I only carry a single blade folder when I want to go really light, for fast hikes etc. and not have anything loose in my pocket.

I could drop the knife from my EDC. Everything else is essential.

8. marcclarke

marcclarke Loaded Pockets

My rule-of-thumb for on-body carry (pockets, belt pouches, etc.) is that if I don't use it within a week I move it to my shoulder bag.

Same general idea for my shoulder bag: if I don't use something for a month I move it to my in-car backpack. The exception is first aid kit items, as they are for emergency use rather than routine use.

The reverse rules also apply: if I have to pull something out of my in-car backpack I strongly consider moving that item to my shoulder bag. If I use something from my shoulder bag I strongly consider moving it to my pockets.

Some movements are seasonal. Right now my sun-burn lotion is in my in-car backpack, as this is deep winter in Colorado, USA. But come spring my little tin of sunburn lotion will move into my shoulder bag and maybe into my pockets, as the sun and I don't get along well (I sunburn very easily).

9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

marcclarke Yeah, that should go in the EDC rule book. Nicely said.

sungame and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  10. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

Have been rethinking my edc. I'm thinking about dropping beads, doodads, paracord knots, tritium fobs etc

11. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

My knife. Sadly. Everything now days is made so you don't need one, packaging, etc. I don't cut much rope, or zip ties, the list goes on. If I'm prepping food, well, I'm usually in a kitchen, not in the middle of a forest. If I hike, I have a folder. For EDC, its on the verge of needless for me. I have to make excuses or reasons to use it. I do feel naked without one though.

GatorMedic, Mumbojumboo and Replete like this.
  12. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

Prybar , two knives, one Fenix flashlight, wallet, a bit of cash, Leatherman wave, and memory of allot of McGyver episodes. LOL
    I do have my edc bag not too far away, it's usually in my truck
    I can survive quite awhile if I get separated from the pack
    I don't want to remove anything
    However I do believe I can refine my carry..

Sent from my iPhone
    Ghostprepper

13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

This is a struggle for me....

On one hand I want to kick down the door, blast high lumens, and be the god of Instagram.

[​IMG]mumbo show off by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

On the other hand I am a practical person and realize that less might be much more. I won't get as many likes but what do I really want? or need?

[​IMG]mumbo practical by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

I sure don't have it all figured out.

14. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I feel the same

I don't need a third of the stuff I carry, but still feel incomplete without them

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My actual EDC is already pretty minimalistic, and doesn't really change much from weekdays to weekends.

There isn't really all that much to drop.

I do use my SAK almost everyday, but from time to time, I venture into places where it is not wise (or legal) to carry a knife. That means removing the knife, if not on a permanent basis.

I guess I could also remove the wristwatch, as I normally have my phone close by. However, it is slower and less convenient to pull out the phone and push a button than just glancing at my wrist.

To conclude this post, I guess I could also stop carrying my wallet. It's not as if there is anything in it these days anyway...

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  16. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I think marcclarke nailed it for me.

I add items to my EDC if they seems like a good idea at the time. If they haven't proved useful in a quarter or so then they get dropped. The only exceptions are the few things, mainly first aid items, that I sincerely hope I never use.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  17. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Recently I removed from my EDC my folding eyeglasses, and spare cellphone and flashlight batteries.

Reasons - I kept breaking the eyeglasses while in my pocket. I have a folding pocket magnifier that I carry to use in a pinch. If I plan to do any serious reading, I'll plan to have eyeglasses. The batteries, I will carry in my work bag (I also have a set of reading glasses in there) so they'll be around if I need them while at work. I've got the car charger if I need to top off my cell phone battery in route to someplace, and if I need a AA battery for my EDC flashlight, I an pick one up easily enough just about anywhere. I carried the batteries in a Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer, and I was really tired of having the thing flop around, and having to reposition it in my pocket when I sat down. I like that it kept everything together, and there are times when I definitely prefer to have a number of items in one easy to carry pouch, but more often I like the much smaller form factor and comfort o allowing the items to be loose in my pocket instead of concentrating the weight into a bulky, bouncy pouch.

Result, my pockets feel much more comfortable.

So far this has been working out.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Feb 11, 2016
    Water-Rat and Mumbojumboo like this.
  18. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I only carry what I use consistently, so I've already removed and/or continue to remove things that do not warrant carry on a regular basis. I feel like that scrutiny is an inherent responsibility of EDC... your load-out should enable you, not burden you.

19. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

I could probably remove about 3 knives from my edc, for some reason I always have one clipped to each pocket or stashed away some where I forgot. I most likely won't do this though :)

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  20. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I like this thread....I don't often say that. When I discovered EDC, which is to say I discovered this forum, and started reading about what other like minded individuals thought and carried, my personal EDC exploded in size. I had gear for any number of conceivable scenarios. I had so much stuff I though I was gonna give myself scoliosis from carrying it all around. One day I laid it all out and started through everything I had never used in the months I had been hauling it around into a box to be sold at a later date. I spent far more money than I recouped to say the least.

Today I have a much different approach. Somethings are a necessity, e.g. wallet, keys, mobile phone. My luxury items are a pocket knife and a small light. I was able to reduce the burden of most of these items as well. For example, I now carry a front pocket wallet that only contains licenses, medical cards, and my debit card, which leaves me with five items in the wallet. I removed any keys from my key ring not used on a daily basis. That leave me with a house key, truck key, remote, and a bottle opener. I carry a small titanium Fenix light, which doesn't weigh down my pockets. My only real weakness is pocket knives. That changes fairly often, but I only carry one at a time. The only thing I could get rid of and function is the light. Only because I have one built into the mobile phone.

On a side note, I do carry my laptop to and from work as I must, but I carry the minimum amount of work related items with it, and I only carry it on days I work. That's probably for another thread.