1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What can YOU fit into an Altoids tin???

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by bdbart, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mraif

mraif Loaded Pockets

Is that knife one of those mini eagle eyes from Cutlery Corner?

2. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

That's not who makes this one (mine is a cheap one), but it's the exact same design.

3. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

I've added an exploded view shot to my TIN 2 post. Conservatively my tin has over 50 items, but if (for instance) one counts a 4-in-1 screwdriver as four items, not one, it holds quite a bit more. I'm not sure how people feel about this. Is it cheating to count it as four?

4. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Dude. How..?

5. southpier

southpier Loaded Pockets

I use a strip of teflon plumber tape. not better, just another way of doing it. and no sticky residue left on the battery (or any of the other things I wrap with it).

6. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

I dunno. I never know if people think of things like one piece multi-tools as one item or many.

7. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Pics! :)

8. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

There is a Schrade SCTPT one piece multi-tool, for example, shown in my TIN 2 exploded view shot. Some would consider one item, others "a bunch". [It's certainly not my favorite OPMT, but I already had it and it fit the tin nicely.]

9. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I'm just talking generally about how much you fit in there, based on the picture. Look at yours, compared to mine. I have no idea how you fit all that in an Altoid tin.

10. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Oh, I see. I misunderstood.

There's lots of trial and error, trying new alternative packing schemes, and constantly being on the lookout for new refinements, including smaller yet functionally equivalent tools. Every time I think I'm done and "It's time to make the video", I then think up some new addition, like, "Hey, why not carry a micro cyalume glow-stick for emergency reading light?" and BAM, it gets added to my tin! [Since I posted my original video on that, I now see some other peoples' kits on YouTube sporting them! I feel flattered.:D]

I wonder if anyone has noticed that the bottom of my Altoids tins are glued down as I unpack them? This was done quite intentionally so that when I show the super accelerated, time-lapse, reverse video it will be stable, and the tin wont be sliding around. [This silent, fast video also serves as a crash course in examining my packing order, starting with the flat items being layered on the bottom]:

Last edited by mzil, Jul 8, 2013
    Dr. Bahn likes this.
  11. benjisimon

benjisimon Loaded Pockets

Just made a Wedding-Day version of the Altoids Survival Kit. Here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contents:
    • Altoids Tin
    • 2ft of Gorilla Tape
    • (1) cough drop with the handy message "You've survived worse" printed on it
    • (1) sewing kit with multiple colors of threads, needles, a button and a small safety pin
    • (2) bobby pins
    • (1) large safety pin
    • (1) penny
    • (1) sharpie
    • (4) ibuprofen tablets
    • (2) Pepto-Bismol tablets
    • (1) hair rubber band
    • (1) multi-tool with small blade, scissors, file and most importantly bottle opener
    • (8) quotes/jokes about marriage for use in off-the-cuff speeches
    • (2) band-aids (not pictured)
    It's nothing too crazy, but it may give folks other ideas. There's definitely a bit of room left to cram in other goodies.

More details can be found here.

12. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

13. benjisimon

Oooh, awesome idea. I'll have to see how I can fit that in.

14. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Looks good.

On the picture for "comfort" I saw the glue and the first thought I had was it was for sniffing. ha-ha!

BTW, a coffee filter is multi-functional, and can also act as tinder, paper towel, bathroom wipe (TP), and also if held over one's nose and mouth as a face mask, say if stuck in a dusty building collapse, swarm of insects, sand storm, etc. They are a good first step in water filtration, however they can't filter out very small (microscopic) bacteria and viruses, hence bleaching or boiling as the next step is usually recommended, if at all possible. [Just a heads up if you or anyone else reading this thread might not know.]

Last edited by mzil, Jul 16, 2013
    odg, Dr. Bahn, nightowl and 1 other person like this.
  15. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Wow! Very impressive. Nice video as well. Thanks for sharing this here. I'm in the process of trying to plan out a kit for an Altoids tin and i think you just simplified the process for me by 90%... :smile_coffee:

nightowl likes this.
  16. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Good info, mzil. Thanks!

nightowl likes this.
  17. benjisimon

18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't have an Altoid version of SOS survival tin, 'cos i realized -time ago- that dimensions of that kind of tin were too little to hold and carry the least necessary to give it the name "SOS survival tin". So, my today's "tin" is larger as two Altoids aligned from the long side (what a terrible way to explane, my "poor little" english language...), or probably are a bit something more. If someone interested i could show it with its inner contents db, and probably an "explosion pic" (if requested, i spent a couple of hours to find the right way to store all my stuff in it !).
    But this is another story ... my first intent was to claim what i said in the inner phrase: i believe that dimensions of that kind of "kit" are not sufficient to worth a carry (IMO, of course).
    BTW, i really love Altoids mints !

19. budgetbugout

budgetbugout Loaded Pockets

Haha!

Good info for the coffee filter. It's primary purpose in my tin is for filtration and secondary is tinder [for anyone who can't tell, my coffee filter is the brown folded up paper] but that's a good point about a face mask, I never thought of that!

Awesome! I'm glad to help, I learned a lot from research and experimentation so I'm happy to share!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun!

scbubba likes this.