1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What can YOU fit into an Altoids tin???

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by bdbart, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bdbart

bdbart Loaded Pockets

I started this thread to show how much I can put into an altoids tin and see what other people thought was good to put into a little case

as far as the cyanide pill...... I don't carry a cyanide pill.... With all that stuff in the tin, there was only one little space big enough for a large pill-sized object... I thought that these items would fill that space....Tylenol/Breath mint/Iodine tablet/Cyanide pill....I cannot put all of these into the tin.... just one of them

as far as justification for the cyanide pill..... I think a cyanide pill is a great little object for EDC... as you never know when the world is gonna end :ufo:

Sharpdogs - great little kit... love the little saw... I need to add $20 emergency cash to mine... but I can't spare the $20 right now:doh:

Lumber Jack - i essentially have the same thing for a car med kit in the glove box... +eye drops

mzil - I have never seen releasable zip-ties before....thnx

someoneyooudontknow - for an actual EDC i leave some stuff out.. although it is still pretty full..... it is a pain in the ars to get to the smaller items on the bottom.. as you have to remove all the bigger items first... but i rather have them with me and be a pain to get to, then not have them at all... and an altoids tin is about as big a case that I want in my pocket... and it can be used as a small little plate or water dish if you empty it

if fact, all this started in the metal case that the iTP EOS flashlight came in...then a friend mentioned and altoids tin...and I felt stupid for not thinking of it first

I have actually modified the set-up slightly.... I added a velcro patch to the back so I can put the flat items in that space... this allows some of the smaller items to be better accessible

just add some 2 inch velcro to the back of the altoids tin and the other side to the back of an old credit card or gift card

see....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

odg likes this.
  2. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Unlike a lot of people I use the Altoid Smalls tin for my mini FAK. It's about 2.5"x1.5". I prefer this size because I can fit it in my front pocket next to my phone, the regular sized one takes up most of a pocket.

[​IMG]

Contents:
    2x Shortened UCO Storm matches
    1x Match strike strip
    2x Band-Aid
    Various Safety Pins
    4x Tylenol
    2x DayQuil
    Needle and Thread
    Salt and Pepper
    P-38 Can Opener
    $20 emergency money

[​IMG]

I had an anti-septic wipe in there, but it's too bulky now since I added more stuff. I'm also looking into adding a small metal nail file, like what's found in a SAK, or maybe cutting down a standard emery board. I got those neat 1"x1" ziplock bags off ebay. They are handy for holding small things.

odg, TheFactotum and FACE like this.
  3. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

Slightly OT but has anyone ever glued/riveted a small peice of elastic to the inside of a altoid's tin lid to store large items in the cover? Might help keep some of the smaller large items out of the way as long as it doesn't interfer with the closing of the tin.

4. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

^I've seen people polish the inside lid to make a signaling mirror and other people store duct tape on the top inner lid area. Maybe a little acordian file (like a coupon holder) glued to the lid with some sort of clasp would be good to store the little items like safety pins and paper clips?

A great thing I saw also was to wrap the circumference with black, electrical (vinyl/ rubbery) tape when done to make the whole thing water proof, plus you have a quantity of that tape on you! You peel it off to open. If you open and close the thing often then you will eventually compromise the integrity of the tape but still well worth it. You simply reapply fresh new tape when that happens. [like trying to reuse a bandaid (plasters), it only works few times before you need to start fresh.]

5. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

FAK? I'd advise against putting salt and pepper in a wound....Just kidding! Nice kit. Those baby zip lock bags are so cute; where do you get them?

6. Otis

Otis Loaded Pockets

Seriously- Am I the only one who will comment on the condom from India:)?

7. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

odg likes this.
  8. bdbart

bdbart Loaded Pockets

In my set-up...with the duct-tape on the underside of the lid...you could store small, flat items under the duct-tape...i.e.- toothpicks, floss, band-aids.....just pull it away and retrieve the items, then just return the duct-tape

Tom A Hawk likes this.
  9. bdbart

bdbart Loaded Pockets

go to any "head" shop and you will find those "1 gram baggies"....some even have cool designs

HeavyHauler and odg like this.
  10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I currently have cinnamon altoids in mine, a nice alternative to the mint ones, though sadly I can't find them over here as these came from a friend on holiday (liquorice looks rather good too...)

Of the couple of empty ones I have kicking about, one currently stores an mp3 and headphones for chucking in a bag when I head out, and another is full of guitar picks.

I did try making one into a first aid kit, but found it just a bit too limited, so went for a small camera case instead for the FAK

11. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

This is a good idea, but the duct tape wears out and needs to be replaced. That is the kind of thing I would think it would be preferable to avoid.

Also, a toothpick that taste like duct tape does not sound appetizing

12. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

For the back pocket of my edc pocket organizer I plan on using a clear vinyl, credit card wallet insert, maybe two, one above the other on a stiff card, which will hold things like what we are talking about, as well as small documents, fresnel lens, microfiber cleaning cloth, money, pocket survival guide, etc. I don't see why one couldn't be affixed to the top inside lid of a Altoids kit. Voila, toothpicks don't taste like duct tape!

Note: when unloaded they are quite thin, so the overall added bulk is more tied to how much you want to stuff them with and not so much the product itself.

edit to add: also holds small piece of aluminum foil to boil water/signal mirror (or carry a small cut down school locker mirror), a fresh single edged razor blade, and I found a good way to fold a standard supermarket shopping bag. [details upon request]

odg likes this.
  13. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Um, I just pulled the one from my wallet to see if it fits. DOH! its too big! Time to find a slightly larger box of mints!

14. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

You know, I've carried an Altoids FAK for a while now. Just recently, I found the miniature Altoids tins, and they work PERFECTLY for storing 10-15 pills in. The tin also fits perfectly into a "coin" pocket on a pair of jeans, and if it doesn't fit, it's small enough to just throw in your pocket. Oh yeah, and cyanide? Ummmm *coughs*. I guess you could put that in there too?

15. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I kinda converted my tin, i found some plastic, (the edge of a plastic putty knife) and i cut it to fit inside of the tin, divided it into three sections, glued it, let it sit for a few days, then used spray on truck bed liner to seal it. and this is what it came out to..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] one for my gum, Altoids, and soon to be fishermans friends,, JR

odg and BarksAtCats like this.
  16. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Cool stuff like this is what keeps me coming back to this forum!
    Nice work!

17. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

That converted tin is some very nice work!

I am a big fan of keeping things in these "free" tins that some with mints inside and I got some good little ideas in this thread.

18. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Nice work, themadplumbarian! Ingenious ...

Although I'd be cautious about subjecting things like barren foodstuff or pills/capsules exposed to that plastic and residual sealing-spray. The plastic ain't BPA-free and the chemicals in the spray may bleed into the pills.

Your wrapped gum pieces should be okay due to the wrapper acting as a barrier. I realize I may be preaching a little over cautious, but I've seen a large number of chemical-taint problems with food and medicine over the years.

odg and wildborego like this.
  19. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

^Good points. Better safe than sorry.

Apparently even some plastics that have been promoted as "food safe" for years are now coming in to question under some circumstances (like microwave heat from acid/tomato based foods and oily ones).

20. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Very true, i have a couple of those very mini bags, that i was going to put them in, but you wouldn't be able to see anything if i did when taking the pic's, thus why i only did one side, ;) JR