1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What caliber do you carry?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Riptide, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Brian S. Jones

Brian S. Jones Loaded Pockets

Get a 43...you'll love it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Great community with great moderators (and administrators).

We love our mods.
    [​IMG]

3. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Only thing I miss from this community is getting free guns ... :cool::D

madlag likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yes, me. However, that was many, many moons ago. Trained in the Israeli carry method in conjunction with the Mozambique drill with the same 60s-era Belgian-made Browning P-35 Hi-Power that I still carry.

Draw the P-35 and hold the weapon so that the grip is parallel to the horizon while aiming it at the target. Torso & arms should be in the "isosceles" stance. Grip the slide serrations with index finger and thumb of the opposite hand and hold VERY firmly. Push the frame as far forward as possible while keeping the slide stationary. Release slide while simultaneously rotating the weapon so that the grip is now perpendicular to the horizon and the sights are now on center mass. Place support hand over the shooting hand and pull while the shooting hand pushes on the grip. Rotate torso to the Weaver stance. Quickly place two rounds on center mass then then carefully place one round on head of target.

Complicated? Indeed!

I practiced the movement over 5000 times first without ammo. Then practiced with dummy rounds. We didn't have those fancy "snap caps" in the 60s. Then I practiced another 5000 times with a stationary target. Then I practiced another 5000 times with the target moving (just a metallic target swinging back and forth). Then practiced with me moving AND the target moving.

The net result is being able to place three rounds at the target in less than 1.5 seconds.

Still felt complicated after all this practice? Not a bit. It was all muscle memory after all that practice.

twin63 likes this.
  5. FireCapt

FireCapt Loaded Pockets

Taurus PT22Ply .22lr with 36 grain HP for the summer.....I have a Taurus PT 111 G2 9mm that I may carry for the winter....also looking to get a .380......really like carring that little .22 in my back pocket and I could carry a .380 the same way. The 9mm would be in the waist band and have trouble getting comfortable with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That sounds impressive to me, but not for 15,000 repetitions.

I haven't done anywhere near that many reps of one live fire drill, and I break 1.7s on Mozambique with slow splits of like .3 for the 2nd chest shot and .5 for the transition.

This is why I think Israeli carry is dumb.

Dorian likes this.
  7. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Shield 9mm in an M-Tac holster, 7 round magazine with one in the pipe.

Dorian and MTFatboy like this.
  8. madlag

madlag Banned

I always carry with one in the pipe, hammer at half :censored:. If I'm in the city or somewhere I feel threatened I fully :censored: the hammer and carry in condition one until I fee otherwise. This is one of the advantages of 1911 and other similar makes.

Sent from my [one size too big] iPhone

MTFatboy likes this.
  9. madlag

madlag Banned

Wow that profanity filter really hit me hard....By "cocked", I of course mean hammer at half and hammer at ready positions heheh lol

Sent from my [one size too big] iPhone

Rusty412 likes this.
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The 1.5 seconds was ONLY a goal. All of my fellow students met and surpassed that. At my peak, I managed just under .8 seconds at 30 feet with me and the target moving (as measured with the rudimentary timers of the late 60s). Last timed session, I managed .866 seconds with a modern, more-precise digital timer. I know that my motor skills have deteriorated so that means that I was significantly under .8 seconds when younger.

It is "dumb" when one fails to hit the target. I won't state how many actual combat encounters that I have had with that method; only that I survived but didn't stick around to find out who didn't.

What's your experience been in actual deployment of that method?

11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That everyone I've seen is slower that way than C1 with a 1911, C0 with a striker, or decocked with da/sa.

12. jmbriggs

jmbriggs Loaded Pockets

I admit to for a 6 month stretch I carried without a round chambered. I knew while on vacation I would be carrying a borrowed Colt Lightweight Commander and not having a 1911 at that time or even one I could borrow near home I couldn't train myself to draw and disengage the safety. I began carrying my Sig P226 with an empty chamber draw, rack, and fire trying for 6 months before vacation and while using the borrowed Commander I carried it in a similar fashion so if needed I wouldn't trip over the manual safety but still carry in a safe manner.

13. Texasshipagent

Texasshipagent Loaded Pockets

.45, 9mm, or .38+p depending on the attire of the day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Because there is more movement with that method, the overall time is going to be greater for most users. If sheer measured time is what is more important, then the Israeli method becomes the lesser option. If empty chamber is the required mode of carry, I'll always choose my custom P-35 with the 5.25-inch barrel with Federal 9BP 950fps 115-grain 9mm over any other combination because I know my hit rate will be high. For me, the end-end result has always been the more important choice.

moostapha likes this.
  15. jpeaslee

jpeaslee Loaded Pockets

Usually a 9mm in my XDs, but occasionally .45acp when the 1911 is tagging along.

16. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying .45 acp. Speer Gold Dots. 200 grain hollow points.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  17. OldRakkasans187

OldRakkasans187 Loaded Pockets

.380 for pocket carry - always

Others available in colder weather:

.40 Shield IWB
    .357 Sig - H&K USP Compact IWB

18. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

19. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

Either .45 ACP, 9x19mm Parabellum, or .357 Magnum. The snubnose revolver (5 shot with 2 speed strips) is my typical summer carry, comfortable and unobtrusive. The .45 (8+1 and 10 round spare mag) is even more comfortable, but only with a good undershirt. It's my winter carry. The 9mm is a subcompact, double stack, Sig P250 (12+1 or 15+1) that hasn't quite settled into my carry rotation yet. I intended for it to replace the revolver, but the revolvers is still a lot easier for me to conceal.

MTFatboy and madlag like this.
  20. GreatBlueWhale

GreatBlueWhale Loaded Pockets

10mm for me. I like the little bit of extra velocity. Got hooked on it when the FBI changed, but I never gave it up.

MTFatboy likes this.