1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What caliber do you carry?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Riptide, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

The LCP .380 gets more miles than the others. I agree that it's the low end but better than none when wardrobe prohibits something bigger. There's always room for a .380 in a Smartcarry even if my wife may complain about my "codpiece". Then 9mm. Then .45, .38, .357, or others as the mood may strike.

2. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

95% of the time I carry a .32 auto on my ankle---mag prepped with Glazer Safety Slugs----

NelsonIII and charlie fox like this.
  3. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

The more I think about it and with having a lot of choices at my disposal, I'm kinda thinking of adding a Glock 42 as a main carry gun. And I have a .380 already (Sig P238).

Why did I choose a .380? First I'm not in a high threat environment/business/location.

Second a .45 is bulky and heavy (yes I have a Scandium frame S&W commander). My G26 is bulky (thick) A G43 is not yet available here, and if needed I can carry my G26 or G19.

Third, I can carry it (G42) IWB, pocket, and ankle.

Forth after having my CCW for the past XX years (don't want to give away my age ;)) I've developed my own observations about risk. And for ME, I think that fills the bill.

As to the comments about having an empty chamber? Well, as I say to my girlfriend when we watch TV and I see a person cambering a round before say entering a house, I joke I chambered a round a few weeks ago...

4. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I do not know if any of this is still current, and just as a reference that there are many, many techniques out there-----
    including systems based around the concept of chamber empty carry----

Years ago the IDF--utilized a system that required carrying a pistol with the chamber empty--and developed an entire training process surrounding that concept where the draw stroke, included an operator physical chamber charge as the weapon was presented toward the target....I had been told that the reasoning behind chamber empty was based on the IDF's constant use of crowded Public transport--and being armed in very crowded public locations----I have no idea if that is true or not------
    Individuals could become extremely quick with this draw and chamber system--to the point that they would often draw, chamber, and fire as fast as an individual with a pre-charged chamber. I have seen this technique in use and it can appear very very fast......and no handicap---in the properly trained hands.
    You could always tell that the IDF had been there training the locals prior to your arrival when you would see this technique being used.....
    Like I say I'm a geezer so this was awhile ago-----and as the feral kid said at the end of Mad Max--"the memory fades, the vision dims."----
    The Soviets also developed a holster for chamber empty carry--which by the operator pressing downward, first, then up for the draw mechanically chambered a round in the pistol--
    I have seen these holsters only for the Makarov pistol however.....

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  5. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

My understanding is that it is still current, they are highly trained to do this.

That said, if I go to Israel and need to (cough-cough) "appropriate" a weapon. I will instantly rack it. Worst case, I loose a live round. Best case, instantly ready to rock.

After doing a lot of pistol matches. If I hear a click (or nothing) I instinctively rack.

Froley likes this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I don't care if A doing it is faster than B not doing it. I care if A is faster doing it. And I haven't seen it.

If it were possible to be faster racking the slide then just presenting, someone would be shooting this way in USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, or something similar. No one is unless the state demands it.

nosnerosen, Stinson12 and Dorian like this.
  7. nosnerosen

nosnerosen Loaded Pockets

I carried a double stack 45 everyday for over 3 years and never thought I'd change. A couple years ago I traded one of my 45's for a Bodyguard for a backup and strapped it to my ankle if we were heading to the big city. This summer I started carrying it in my pocket and hardly carry the 45 anymore. I am on the lookout for a compact 9mm but also thinking about my first 1911 so I can more easily carry a 45 again. So many decisions

8. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

Either 9mm or .45, never a .40 S&W to much muzzle flip and to hard to get back on target. The same reason that many PD's and now the FBI are dropping .40 S&W.

9. randylahey

randylahey Loaded Pockets

I carry 45 ACP in a Glock 21 or 30 gen 4. They both shoot amazingly and i shoot them faster and more accurately than anything else. I feel pretty strongly all semi auto guns should be either 45 or 9 mm,and find it hard to believe someone can shoot a 40, 357 sig, or 10 mm faster and more accurately than 45 or 9 with training being equal

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

The few times I've shot it, I prefer 40 to 45, all other things being equal. Whether the timer agrees or not, 45 feels slower.

40 is also cheaper to shoot, at least with factory ammo...not sure about reloading.

I still think that 9mm beats it for most normal uses. For competition...a couple .40s are in my future.

11. notlimah

notlimah Loaded Pockets

Either 9mm or .45acp just depends on what gun I'm carrying. Either way Federal HST is the only self defense round I use :cool:

On Edge likes this.
  12. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

9mm's for carry. .40 for nightstand.

jrad likes this.
  13. slave2theaxe

slave2theaxe Loaded Pockets

Not that I can carry anymore because New Jersey is stupid, but when I was stationed in AZ and when I'm in my home state of PA, I carry a Glock 23, compact .40 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.
    [​IMG]

I have been recently entertaining the idea of switching to 9mm for EDC and leaving the .40 for the nightstand.

MTFatboy and Dorian like this.
  14. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

suggestion for those that carry both a 9 and 40 in the same platform... might want to add some high visibility paint to distinguish between magazines...a piece of 9mm brass that head spaced on the extractor looks funny when it comes out of a 40 ... funny sound too

[​IMG]

15. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

9mm or 40, depending on mood and need.

I have a Springfield XDM in .40 and it's a wonderful pistol. Does everything I want, when I want it and has never failed. Last year I picked up a Sig P320, in 9mm and with the proper rounds does the same job. Both are great striker fired pistols. Both fit my hand well. The Sig is a touch lighter so if I'm going concealed vs Open I might carry it, but I'll do either depending on my mood for the day. 9mm ammo has really caught up and has cut the 'need' for a .45. I use Critical Duty in mine.

Lets be honest, if you can't get the job done with a magazine (Or 3) of 9mm you're likely not going to(Unless you yoke up to a shotgun or rifle). You would also want to ask yourself 'What the heck just took a magazine (Or three) of good 9mm bullets and still hasn't stopped doing what ever it is I wanted it to stop doing (Threatening others, robbing a store, shooting people in a mall, breathing... etc)

16. AMilliron

AMilliron Loaded Pockets

AIWB G29 4th Gen, 20 rounds, loaded pipe......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. inkb0t

inkb0t Loaded Pockets

Glock 42 (.380)/Clip Draw/IWB

18. Bowhunter84

Bowhunter84 Loaded Pockets

Sig Scorpion Carry 45. I carry it IWB everyday.

[​IMG]

19. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Beautiful!!! :)

jrad, MTFatboy and Bowhunter84 like this.
  20. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Depends on what pistol I want to carry! 9mm, .45ACP, .45LC, and 7.62x25 have all been lugged around in the last few months depending on location and activity, with .40 S&W, .357 Sig, .357 Mag, 10mm, and .44 Mag all in the extended rotation. No one caliber is best for all situations, nor any one model of firearm. 9mm, my least favorite, gets the most carry time because my P938 is the most convenient to carry.

Last edited by MTFatboy, Jul 22, 2015