1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What brand of flashlight do you most often choose & why?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 9, 2017.

1. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I’ve been using a lot a Streamlight Pro-Tac HL USB. A very good friend gave it to me as a gift and I am really impressed with its power. It’s small enough as to be comfortable in hand but bigger than my usual EDC flashlight so I keep it on a clothes cabinet and take it with me in the family car every time we go out. We move a lot around the city and other places therefore it gets used very often.
    3 user selectable programs:
    1) high/strobe/low 2) high only 3) low/medium/high. I use it on the first one to chose from High, Strobe, Low. -The high mode (1000 lumens high mode), reaches a 219 mts stream distance. The strobe mode is powerful enough as to even disorient an offender. USB rechargeable (in the light)

[​IMG]

2. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

It’s nearing two years since I made the original post. I thought I’d make a short update. I have since had two Thrunite flashlights stop working inexplicably. One a T10 and the other an Archer 1Av3. Neither had been used all that much and were in like new condition. I didn’t bother with the warranty. Didn’t want to take the time. I have another T10 that has been going strong for about 3 years. It gets used a lot and has been dropped a lot. All my other Thrunite including 7 TN4A’ are still going strong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norseman likes this.
  3. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

@dmattaponi It looks like it's a dies-soon or goes-strong ... I had one (out of four) Ti3's that died (well, only moonlight mode was available) after a few weeks. So I will put my spare Ti3 through some testing (like using it during daylight) to see if it survives the "burn in time".

Maybe a good reason to test my "when needed" TC12 - and trying also other brands mentioned here and on CPF, BLF, etc.

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Really started at Nitecore P12, found four sevens, then surefire, then OLight and I'm thrilled with OLight. Excellent product, great customer service, addictive flash sales, and an ever developing tech and product line. Theyve been my daily lights for probably a year. All my pistol lights are streamlight and inforce. I'd go OLight there but, custom holsters. Gotta say, pretty sexy looking lights in my opinion. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

A Fenix TK15 was my first good LED light . I have mostly Fenix lights and a Thrunite TN4A. A Fenix E05 has been my keychain light for many years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Reliable simple ergonomic usa surefire

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

CV801 likes this.
  7. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

Olight is by far my most purchased light over the years.

Maratac & Lumintop are second, though somewhat distantly.

8. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

It’s funny ...this thread came back to life and I see you told me about Eneloops back in 2017. I forgot about them and then just discovered them recently and am now using them in my TN4As ...just like you told me 2 years ago!! I should’ve listened back then! LOL

Other changes are that one of my Solarforce L2Ps is ok the fritz. Also I stopped EDC’ing my Fenix LD12 and switched to the Nitecore MT10C. I wanted a Tail click/side click light for EDC but I found I would accidentally depress the side button on the Fenix LD12 when drawing it out of my pocket and hitting the tail click in a hurry. That doesn’t happen with the MT10C.

I’ve since added other more respected lights to my collection but 5/3 I ordered the Olight Seeker 2 Pro and LOVE IT. Not for EDC but definitely a general purpose house/camping light for sure. Based on that I’ve ordered the S1R Baton II I’m going to see if I like as my EDC. I really like a tail click on an EDC but I’ll see how I like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#88 Norseman, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Surefire for weapon and 'tactical' lights. My other most purchased brand is Fenix, but over the years as lights have gotten better, I find that even cheap lights are fairly dependable. I have an Olight in the car, A Sunwayman in the kitchen drawer, a cheap Nextorch pen light in my briefcase. They all work even the cheap Nextorch

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I forgot: my most recent weapon light is an InForce for my Sig p320. I really like it. Bright enough for indoors in a small package and the ergonomics work better for my thumbs forward pistol grip. Very easy to activate with the thumb of my support hand. I think this is inherently safer than using the trigger finger. No chance of the trigger finger hitting the wrong switch in times of crisis :)

11. 340pd

340pd Loaded Pockets

Malkoff
    MDC 1CR123
    MD2
    HD18650

twin63 likes this.
  12. jivers1993

jivers1993 Empty Pockets

Olight S Mini CU
    I got it for Christmas in 2017 and have carried it every day since then. The best flashlight I have ever had.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't have a strong brand loyalty to an brand, but there are certain brands that I consistently find to be at least satisfactory.

Fenix - solid lights, usually only available in a clean white light

Zebra - decent lights, great headlamps, available in warm tints

Lumintop - the Tool Ti is my go-to EDC light​

I enjoy some other lights, but don't consider them a "go-to" brand: Foursevens, Nitecore, NitEYE, and Jetbeam.

14. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Ordered the Nitecore Tip2. Never had a Nitecore flashlight. Always gravitated towards Surefire but the specs on this keychain light looked pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Since making my initial post two years ago, I’ve tried HDS and love it. I still have my Fenix lights, as well as recently adding a few Jetbeam, but the HDS is definitely now my go to.

I love the UI and user selectable options. The rotary control is awesome for selecting exactly how much light you want, while the tail switch gives the quick on/off. The durability is also very nice with a good solid feel. The tint temperature and HiCRI selections are also nice.

16. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Peak for me (and one Malkoff AA). Been on a USA kick lately.
    Aluminum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Copper:
    [​IMG]
    Stainless:
    [​IMG]
    And some Mule heads:
    [​IMG]
    Malkoff:
    [​IMG]

17. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

Zebralight (SC64w, SC62w, SC32w, SC52), because: 1. build quality and durability; and 2. excellent outputs, runtimes, and regulation; and 3. no magnets
    Nitecore (HC30 NW, TIP, TUP), because: 1. build quality and durability; and 2. excellent outputs, runtimes and regulation; and 3. no magnets