1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What brand of flashlight do you most often choose & why?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 9, 2017.

1. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I actually don't have a favorite brand of lights.
    I have found that most flashlights with reputation to be fairly durable and reliable, works very well for everyday tasks. I really appreciate moon light features for walking around in the house at night or at camp late night.

Moose likes this.
  2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Streamlight; specifically the Protac series. I have a 1L/1AA (EDC), 2L (work) and an XL (house) and find them a great deal for the money!

Wishoot and twin63 like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have 4 NiteCore Tubes and one NiteCore Tip. They range in age from about 5 years to a couple of months. Never had a problem with 'em. Which is probably why I have continued to buy/carry them!

My other go-to brand is Streamlight. Couple of Microstreams that ride in pockets and/or FAK. Couple of Stylus Pros that ride in my bag or in varied FAK in house or car. Love 'em because they've been reliable, use easily available cells (AAA), and UI is just plain simple which suits me!

Smattering of others around the house; in car console, etc. Including a few MagLites of various sizes including a few that are pre-LED ;) that hang around in various rooms of the house. Still love these (sorta like I love Streamlight) because they use readily available cells (AA; C-cells for the one that rides on the car backseat) and are just plain dependable and easy to use.

Call me a stik in the mud or call me a traditionalist. I just like stuff that works ! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

^^^^^^
    Like he said....

I gravitate towards Streamlight. I feel they offer the best balance of simplicity, cost, reliability and features.

My needs are simple. I use flashlights when I'm walking the dog, hiking or hunting. I have almost no need for specialty batteries, multi-modes or overly complex interfaces.

5. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Although I am not carrying one currently I normally pick Olight. Other then they have been good to me I like they way they look, function and the way they recharge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

suburbDad likes this.
  6. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Most of my torches are Fenix-brand, and have performed as advertised. Although, I have both a Nitecore, and a Maratac which also see EDC duty. Klarus, and Streamlight are also in the stable.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Elmiro Dungfoot, Jan 21, 2019
    #66 Elmiro Dungfoot, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. Berit

Berit Empty Pockets

The only brand to never have failed me is Surefire.

8. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

Streamlight is always my go to. I tried to branch out and picked up an Olight S1 mini recently, but the side mounted button caused it to turn on in my pocket multiple times. It’s a shame too because otherwise, I really liked it. Now it just sits in a drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wishoot likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I believe that the Olight S1 has two ways of locking the battery out, did you not try those??

Moose likes this.
  10. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

It's all about price, features and reliability for me. Sure, I have clusters of lights in certain brands but that is because I prefer their UI over others, but I chose them because of the UI not the brand. That being said, off the top of my head here are the brands I have 2 or more lights of;

• Fenix
    • Sunwayman (My EDC is a V11Rvn)
    • SupBeam
    • Convoy
    • Nitecore
    • Streamlight
    • BLF
    It's been years since I have purchased a light so am out of touch with the current makers.

11. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

I’m not sure, it was a while ago. I’ll have to look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moose likes this.
  12. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Last week I'd have said Lumintop.

I have two Tool AAA's and can Imagine getting more Lumintops in the future.
    I like the form factor and that it's a tail clicky. Also the modes make a lot of sense to me. You simply cycle through mid-low-high and all modes are a good fit for my needs.

But than I had an Olight coming in. A S1 Mini Baton HCRI.
    All my doubts about this lamp evaporated after a few days of use.
    The button on the side is tight and recessed enough that it won't activate in my pocket - and even if, there's a lockout.
    The larger diameter does not sit uncomfortably in my pocket.

I found some benefits of the baton concept, however.
    -The magnet and tailstand ability are quite nice, even the Mini Baton illuminates a room sufficiently when set on high and placed on a table.
    -The fact that it comes with a rechargeable battery ready to go is very handy. I chose the Mini because it has the USB charging that is available basically anywhere I go and I don't need to bring spare batteries or an extra charger.
    -The operation is quite clever, especially accessing the moonlight and turbo mode by holding / double clicking the button without cycling through the modes.

Right now I'm looking at a second one - I found an offer for the Baton S1R II with 30% off. Tempting.

Inner Prop, demPho and Moose like this.
  13. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I have found Olight’s and Thrunite’s customer service to be fantastic. I keep going back to them

Moose, FiaOlleDog and ace19636 like this.
  14. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Fan is originally, then on to FourSevens and thrunite, then on to Olight. I like the user interface.

15. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

My most carried light is my Hanko TTT because of the beautiful wall of light it casts. I just like this light and how easy it is to carry.
    [​IMG]

Surefire is a close second. I enjoy swapping parts around to suit my needs for a certain application. I also love their warranty and support. If something breaks they just fix it, usually with a newer light.
    [​IMG]

16. post tenebras

post tenebras Loaded Pockets

My most-used flashlight is my EDC, a Surefire Titan Plus AAA.

17. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

The Titan Plus is an awesome light. I use it when I want to carry a flashlight, but everything else is too big.

Moose likes this.
  18. Ellis Chapman

Ellis Chapman Loaded Pockets

Emisar D4 is all I buy now

Strayz likes this.
  19. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

Astrolux S43S
    small(using 18350) and very bright with ramping.
    It will drain the battery very quickly on turbo and it gets hot.
    Also can use a 18650 with accessory tube.
    What I call the pocket ripper can be unscrewed from the tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by dorebow, Jan 31, 2019
    #79 dorebow, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  20. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

Man, I been rocking thrunite ever since they came out. Comparable to top leading lights at half the price and pretty solid quality thus far.
    Of the 3 Olights and 3 different thrunite's I go with the latest model TN12 rechargeable. And I'm really picky about my options... I hate strobe mode, and require a tailcap button vs. side operation to name afew things. And one of my favorite things about them is the slick velcro pouch they all come with.
    Some of the best rated are usually the most overpriced and overheating...

suburbDad and FiaOlleDog like this.