1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What brand of flashlight do you most often choose & why?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 9, 2017.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

All of my current user flashlights are Thrunite. I can't say that I set out to choose this brand or that I think they're the best out there,but I've found myself choosing them for the following reasons:

1) They are economical.
    2) They have features that I like (neutral white options, easy mode switching and mode memory, very long lasting moonlight options with a nice combo of various light levels and runtimes.
    4) Reviews claim durability.
    5) Good selection of AA battery lights (which all of mine are).

And so, because of these things, it just so happens that all of my current lights are Thrunite.

How bout you all. What do you look for in a light, and what brands has that led you too?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

#1 dmattaponi, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I started with Fenix years ago and still have close to a dozen or so from them. Though I have/had several other brands like Nitecore, Thrunite, Surefire etc.

All of the Fenix lights have been rock solid...some other brands not so much, mainly Nitecore. Innovation is great, but a light that keeps working is even better. Though, there are some great offerings from Thrunite, Zebralight, Acebeam as well. I do have a soft spot for Fenix as, IMO, helped quality lights into mainstream EDC.

Plus, their customer service is top notch and they are very active with giveaways with the community.

sungame and dmattaponi like this.
  3. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

These are my lights...

Olight S1 Baton
    Olight S1R Baton
    Maratac Stainless Steel AAA
    UltraFire 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED
    Refun(TM) 2000 Lumen Flashlight Led Cree T6 Xm-l
    Mini Cree Led
    Gerber 31-000919 FIT Light Tool
    Streamlight 73005 Nano
    Streamlight 73001 Nano
    Streamlight 66318 MicroStream LED
    Streamlight 66120 Stylus Pro Pen
    Streamlight ProTac2L
    Thrunite Ti3
    Thrunite Ti4 Penlight
    Thrunite Ti5
    Lumintop TOOL XP-G2 R5 Black
    Lumintop Tool XP-G2 R5 Copper (ordered today)
    Sunwayman M11R
    Nitecore EC20
    Fenix E01
    Fenix E15
    L3 Illumination L10 Cree XPG2 (in 3 different colors)
    L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B
    DQG Fairy EDC CREE XP-G2 R5

There's really not one brand that sticks out. These are AAA, AA, CR123 and 18650. I just want something that's going to fire up each and every single time I reach for it.

Shike and dmattaponi like this.
  4. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Recently, I have been buying numerous Streamlights. They have good availability, fair prices and decent design.

RED-FIVE, Lellobeetle and dmattaponi like this.
  5. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Over the past 15 years I've tried numerous brands. I'm pretty hard on my gear so most of them broke. The one brand that held up over the last 10 years or so was Surefire. I dropped a G2 off the roof once, watched it bounce twice off the deck, and into the pool without the light even blinking and I was sold. I recently picked up an Olight to try out and it's a nice light but not quite Surefire durable thus far.

Slumber, Lellobeetle and dmattaponi like this.
  6. mrtwohands

mrtwohands Loaded Pockets

Still rocking my Olight S1 Baton. Really like the size, easy to handle and multiple output settings. Also, really like the fact that it has a moonlight mode, .5 lumens I believe. Works great when you need just a touch of light

Lellobeetle and dmattaponi like this.
  7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Slumber, azpops, EZDog and 1 other person like this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

What Mumbo' said,all the way!

Slumber and dmattaponi like this.
  9. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

Mostly Fenix. I must have at least 8-10 of them. A few Thrunites, and some NiteIze lights. I buy them for the quality/cost ratio and use. I will admit, I am not a flashlight fashionista, so paying the $$$ asked for some of the lights ain't gonna happen.

10. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Nitecore for their innovation eg.
    LA10 for its lipstick CRI lantern
    SENS AA for its inbuilt accelerometer that changes intention depending on inclination
    SRT7 for its magnetic ring and many modes including variable intensity, beacon, SOS, strobe, Red,Green,Blue
    MH20 for it compact form with large reflector and rechargable interface
    EA41 for compact 1000lm form with 4xAA
    ...usw

tbzbbt

11. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Most of my lights are from FourSevens and more specifically from their Quark series. A number of years ago, they had pass around box here. After trying them out, I was hooked ever since. To me, they are economical, bright enough for my needs, run off of AA batteries and can take the abuse. They been dropped into grease traps, swimming pools, flooded drains, side of the mountain, etc... and they keep working. A few years ago, they had a 50% sale and I grabbed a few for Christmas presents. The recipients appreciated them and still have them to this day.

reppans, twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  12. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

4Sevens Quark 2AA is my edc. Vehicles equipped with an Outback Mini Mongo (my wife hates twisty switches and multi modes; strobes give her an instant migraine).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

reppans, twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  13. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Fenix is most used, either E05 or E01.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

sungame and dmattaponi like this.
  14. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

at home I have two malkoff's.. a hound dog and a 18350 little light
    at work I have two sunawaymans
    and in my bag I carry a lenslight

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

Surefire and Streamlight.

Surefires are mounted on my rifles and I have several by my bed.

IMO, Streamlight's 1-AAA Microstream is the pinnacle of a perfect EDC light, so that's what I use 99% of the time.

Slumber and dmattaponi like this.
  16. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Streamlight and Surefire. (I only use CR123 varieties)

• Streamlights are weatherproof, rock solid, incredibly tough, and feature rich without being overcomplicated. I've carried a ProTac HL for 5+ years and it has never let me down once, in any way. It has been through wind, rain, hail, snow, ice, 100º+ temps, sweat, mud, dust, falls, and everything in between. I own ProTac 2Ls, 1L-1AA dual fuels, polytac & TLR variations for firearms, etc as well. I'll gladly continue to entrust my safety, security, and utility to Streamlight.

• I've owned a Surefire Minimus headlamp for 6 years and it is arguably the best headlamp ever made. I use it twice a day, every day, without fail for dog walks and it too has been through wind, rain, hail, snow, ice, 100º+ temps, sweat, mud, dust, falls, and everything in between. It has the perfect broad halo of light with no focused center beam, just an even wash of white light that illuminates your area. Every Petzl, Fenix and Thrunite I've tried all have a very focused center with a ton of bleed... it just isn't anywhere close to the same. Unfortunately, you cannot find Minimus anymore... at least, not the fisheye lens metal unibody design I have. All of their new stuff is either plastic or has a much smaller LED aperture.

dmattaponi likes this.
  17. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Counting the number of each brand Olight wins out. It is however not the brand I'm choosing most often as my on body EDC, that's usually Thrunite or Fenix and now lately Eagletac. A Zebralight is probably my next light and I bet that will see some EDC rotation.

My Olights are mostly for specific uses, for example my H1R (head lamp) resides in my work bag and comes in handy when drawing blood, starting IV access, dressing wounds or whatever needs doing in awkward positions. My S10R is my desk lamp, my S15R goes on my bedside table and so on. One exception is the copper S2, because that is a nice looking flashlight that get rotated into my EDC when I expect light use and want to be a bit more classy. :rolleyes:

18. Trigger's broom

Trigger's broom Loaded Pockets

I generally stick with Fenix or more recently Olight, never had a problem with any. The brand i avoid is Thrunite with a 3 for 3 failure rate & no response from customer service on any occasion was enough to stop me buying their brand.

Honourable mention to LED Lenser, had a P3 with a fault & they replaced it with a new one no questions asked.

19. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Definitely Surefire. I've had other brands but always come back to Surefire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shike and dmattaponi like this.
  20. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Just added a Thrunite TH20 headlamp to my may list of AA neutral white Thrunites..

Sent from my TM101A620M using Tapatalk

Lellobeetle likes this.