1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What bag faults or quirks drive you crazy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Nov 4, 2016.

1. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Grommets in bottom of bag. Completely unnecessary. Does nothing but let IN water, dirt etc. Its not a big deal to turn your bag inside out to clean it if you need to.

2. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

While drain holes can can let water in if you're not careful, their main purpose is to drain water out. Drain holes may not make sense if you're simply using your bag for school or work. But for many outdoor endeavors, drain holes can be a life saver. For example, I backpack and fly fish in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming every year. My partners and I are fairly aggressive waders and will hike in rivers and streams up to our stomachs and in fairly fast moving wasters. We're typically outfitted with waders and backpacks or backpack-vests (made for river wading). Stuff that needs to stay dry are sealed in separate dry-bags before stuffing into our packs. More than twice I've slipped and fallen in deep fast moving water and my pack filled with water. If it weren't for the drain holes my pack would have weighed me down, making it hard if not impossible to regain my footing on the slippery rocks, potentially drowning me. Thank God for the drain holes...they really work.

zatoichi likes this.
  3. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Agreed.

In most climates and for general, day-to-day EDC purposes, they're of limited use, but they come into their own when in the woods or on the mountain.

4. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

Exactly, I love the look of a good messenger bag but the functionality is flawed for daily carry. I much prefer a messenger/shoulder bag with a top zipper access any day.

5. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My current EDC pack has no water bottle holder which is annoying, having to stop and take the pack off to get the water bottle out.
    Also there's no way to carry a pen on the outside. With previous packs, I'd loop one through the molle so I could get at it without taking the bag off but this one doesn't have molle

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't really understand how certain design elements can be considered to be Quirks or failures if you know about them before getting the bag?
    As an example and the most cited here,not having a Water Bottle pocket.
    If a bag has no bottle pocket and I know that before buying the bag then how is this anything but my own mistake for buying a bag that is not designed to carry water in a pocket?
    There are plenty of bags that do have bottle pockets.
    My preferences are choices that I am free to make and responsible to understand before I pay the man.
    If I need something not on the bag this does not make it bad or quirky design at all?

Now if there are things that are not that obvious going in that I only realize or discover after using the bag that seem silly or negligent it is easier to consider this quirky maybe but it is still really on me for not researching the purchase well enough beforehand.

Poor craftsmanship and attention to detail are the things that signal features that can drive me crazy but otherwise maybe I am crazy already for taking it personally if a bag is not designed the way I think it should be but I buy it anyway?

Know what I mean?

7. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Just depends on your perspective. What I consider quirks or failures are things that stop me from buying an otherwise good bag. Also, I work in technology and my company and others frequently give out bags as swags, which is a nice perk. Once my company issued us bags to carry to a conference. But I hate getting Timbuktu messengers (which is a common swag) because of the flaps. Otherwise they're great looking bags. End of 2016 I had a box in the corner of my office with six brand new Timbuktus (with various company logos embroidered on them). I couldn't even give them away because no one else wanted them. Ended up donating them to the local Habitat for Humanity.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I suppose you are right,I have never been issued a bag that I didn't choose myself?

Does not change my attitude about anything I said but I am not in a position to be given bags either or if I am I can hardly hold it against the bag if it is not designed as I would prefer.

9. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

When I go to a manufacturers website to look at their bag, and they don't show the interior admin and organization details (Amazon too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Great point. It's crazy just how bad the stock photos are at many of the manufacturers' websites.

Tallboyjim, PreparedCitizen and jbj like this.
  11. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

1. molle webbings that do not follow the correct sizing.
    2. strap adjusters that constantly slip
    3. zippers that gets stuck or not smooth when opening.
    4. poor stitching
    5. poor quality elastic tubing (one used for organizer and bottle pouch) that looses stretch after a year or two.

PreparedCitizen and Jay-uk like this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This boggles my mind too!
    It makes me wonder if they realize that some of us "Shop" before buying?

Along the same line is 12 pictures of the same thing but in different colors but no detail shots that actually help to describe the bag features at all?

Last edited by EZDog, Feb 5, 2017
    #52 EZDog, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Tallboyjim and jbj like this.
  13. DScott

DScott Loaded Pockets

One of my biggest pet peeves is a poor quality top grab handle on a pack. And by poor quality I mean a single layer of material that is uncomfortable and digs into your hand if it must be used for more than a minute. In this respect, Goruck bags really get it right IMO. A very comfortable and slight padded handle makes a huge difference to me. There are times that a pack must be carried by the top handle and don't know why some makers don't understand that. A bad example of this is the Tom Bihn Synapse 25. Great bag and well thought out for comfort and then they stick a single strand of nylon webbing as the grab handle. Makes zero sense to me. Even if a maker just doubles the webbing and folds it over without padding so it's a little more comfortable to the hand, that works. Why companies don't get that is beyond me.

jkjustic likes this.
  14. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Some of the TimBuk2 bags are better than others. I have one older one and one purchased just a month back or so. They work great for my work bags, but I'm not likely to gear one out for EDC, at least not without some "bag inside a bag" type organization. That said, if you amass another pile of them, hit me up.

15. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I have quite a few messenger bags, and if they are done right you simply lift the flap and it is open, let go of it and it is shut. It doesn't get any simpler than that. I only really ever use the buckles if I need to secure something bulky that goes beyond the normal capacity of the bag. Some people will use it if their velcro gets worn out, too. Most of my messenger bags do not have zippers of any sort... maybe on an inside pocket or two, but it is not common from a lot of the companies I like (Seagull, REload, Baileyworks, etc.) that seem to focus on actual bike messenger designs.

I feel a zipper and a flap are a little redundant, so if you prefer a zipper I can see why you would not want the flap, as well. I like my flaps to act also as a rain cover, so not having anything interrupt the tarp lining is a plus for me... so I guess I would be the opposite and I do not like a zipper on my flap. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

As a disclaimer, I am not a bike messenger, I do not have a beard, nor do I consider myself a hipster... in fact I thought most hipsters carried Hershel, Topo Designs, and Freitag bags these days, but what do I know, I am just a guy who likes to carry stuff around.

16. ballast

ballast Loaded Pockets

Slippy shoulder straps do my nut! As anyone with a rush series knows if your single shoulder carrying the pack ITS GONNA SLIP!!! It's the only issue I have with my 12 & 24.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  17. dansciurus

dansciurus Loaded Pockets

I must have got lucky. My 12 is lock tight. Mines a pain to adjust. I usually have it weighted down quite well Most of the time too.

It burns when I tapatalk

18. topazbullet

topazbullet Loaded Pockets

Dark liners. I get that with ultralight, single layer bags the liner is the same as the exterior, and that's fine, but if there's a waterproof or second liner, it should be white or gray so you can see what you're trying to get.

19. th@tguy

th@tguy Loaded Pockets

My Maxpedition Lunada did some minor wear into the back of my shirt and sweater while I was on vacation. That Velcro tab for the belt at the bottom back of the bag was culprit.

20. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I hate huge, usually ugly, logos on bags. Maxpedition's logo is a good example.

I have a strong dislike for bags without structure.

I have a strong dislike for "tactical" bags that come with PALS webbing on every outer surface, even when not useful.

I do not care for patch velcro.

Myrddraal likes this.