1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What bag faults or quirks drive you crazy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Nov 4, 2016.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

The Vertx Gamut has an accoutrement on the back that will allow for that.

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I too am curious about pen/pencil slots in some bags. There are 7-8 of them in my Trident 20.

Jay-uk likes this.
  3. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I use a Maxped Larkspur when travelling as is has an open "slot" on the back that is designed to slide over the extended handle of rolling luggage. Awesome, plus with the addition of a 5.11 shoulder pad (off a moab 6) I can get the larkspur across my back and in position so I can navigate an airplane isle. My roller bag is a Magellan spinner that fits the overhead compartment. The spinners are nice due to the 4 casters that swivel, allowing one to just push it along. No need to drag it behind.

4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Vertical zippers (on anything) that opens from the bottom up. So easy for items to fall out

5. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I am surprised you have trouble with this, I just roll up the excess and then bind it together with the included velcro keepers. As long as it is tight against the buckle, it shouldn't go anywhere. Do your straps not have the velcro keepers on the ends?

Just curious

kirk

6. akh_405

akh_405 Empty Pockets

Not technically a "fault" but I really hate the excessive amount of straps on my previous generation TAD EDC. It's. Everywhere.

I also really hate it when awesome bags that are designed to carry heavy loads are not made with loadcarry-assisting waist belts. *Looks at my GR2*

I generally hate it when bag straps are made so long that I can't cinch it high enough to put the load higher on my back.

7. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Mystery Ranch is one of my favorite pack companies but one thing that I've noticed is the mesh they use.....if the hook end of velcro comes into contact with it, it rips the stuffing out. Example....I wear the military gortex someitmes and when the hood is unrolled the hooks are right on the neck of the jacket where the pack strap sits and it just looks like it shreds it. It's mostly just pulling the little stuffing out. I ended up cutting all the velcro out the jacket in that location. Just a minor gripe.

Also, why use anything but a #10 zipper? Just sayin'.

Water-Rat likes this.
  8. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I think a better way to put it is....Goruck packs might have been made with carrying heavy loads in mind.....but they are everything BUT designed for it.

Ike582 likes this.
  9. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Unbuckling shoulder straps to access the top/main compartment(if it wasn't mentioned).

Ike582 likes this.
  10. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

1. Not strictly a fault but......inconsistent colour shades by the same manufacturer - I'm looking at you TAD with your 10 million different shades of foliage...
    2. Laser-cut MOLLE - Maybe I just got a lemon but everytime I'd remove a pouch from my Direct Action Ghost, there'd be white strands coming away from the slots.
    3. Magnetic closures on messenger bags....other than the fidlock buckles on my current timbuk2 especial which, I've got to say are spectacular, I've never had a bag with magnetic buckles strong enough to actually do the job they were intended for.
    4. Unnaturally stiff cordura...:frantic:
    5. Which brings me onto the 'Hair test'.....I have a beautiful white and honey basset hound and I'd swear her hair is magnetised to some types of cordura, whereas some bags (Maxpedition) it just drops off....presume it's the whole DuPont/teflon thing?...Would be nice to have a hair-resistant, non-stiff cordura......but I dream.
    6. And why does Hazard 4 cordura age badly?
    7. This is completely off-scope and more a general gripe..I like to mount a pouch for my phone and knife on the shoulder strap of whatever pack I'm happening to wear, but other than a few options from MaxP, Tad, I don't know of many other pouches that can fit onto standard shoulder strap without some kind of duct-tape job involving shock cord or the like. By the same token, surely the Bag manufacturers could do more to facilitate pouch/shoulder strap options?
    8. The 'furring-up' of some mesh material, when even lightly grazed by velcro.

zatoichi likes this.
  11. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

I'm a lefty and a lot of the slings i find interesting aren't ambidextrous. Im in love with the pdg slingshot and for me to use it id have to rip and draw with the same hand. For a $200 bag I'd expect ambi functionality.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

12. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

You could try the molle attach waist belt that goruck sell.
    I bought the molle attachable waist straps to try on my 34L gr2. The pack is too short, or my torso is too long, for them to work at all. The frame sheet also tries to literally fold in half when I try to carry stuff.

I think a GR2 in a length that suits a person's torso, with a stiffer frame sheet, could be pretty good. The other issue is gorucks are design to carry load high which is great but that's what causes the torso issues. If you lengthen the straps and let the pack sag I could maybe make it work but lowering the pack negates the extra support. I would like to try a 40l though.

13. Rockman18

Rockman18 Loaded Pockets

I have never had an issue carrying a heavy load with my 40l GR2 and feeling like I needed a waist strap with it. I have had it weighing at least 48lbs

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

14. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

If your main objective is carrying weight I would look into another pack than Goruck. I'm sure they are plenty strong but they are just a 'trendy' and super marketed pack if you ask me. There are lots of packs that address the issues you list but they aren't really in the EDC category.

15. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Jansport Zippers. UGH.

zatoichi likes this.
  16. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

It does actually carry weight very well for a "shoulder only" pack. I think if a waist belt could be made to work it would be insane. Anyways for me what I find annoying is packs that have a laptop compartment and no obvious pocket for a power supply. Every laptop has a power supply and they are mostly a similar size and shape, and you need it often. Make a pocket for it.

17. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

1) Flaps with buckles, popularized by Timbuktu messenger bags, sucked up by beard growing hipsters. Flaps get in the way; to access compartments you got to unfasten buckles, lift the flap, then unzip. If you have to have a flap, then get one with a zippered pass thru like the Able Archer Satchel, now that's the way to design a flap. Otherwise, waterproof/dustproof zippers are the way to go.

2) 1000D Cordura. Actually I like it and there's definitely a demographic for it like the military and first responders; but for most civilians (even weekend hunters and bushcrafters) its overkill and too heavy. Direct Action (and a growing number of others) show that highly functional, good looking, hard use, tactical style bags can be made of lighter weight 500D Cordura. For most urban/suburbanites heavier 1000D is a marketing/fashion fad.

#37 gearheavy, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  18. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

General complaint with backpacks, when I wear dress shirts, the straps crinkle my dress shirts. I can hand carry, but sometimes, the bags are too heavy to hand carry. Don't know if there's any way to solve for this.

19. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Have you tried wrinkle-free dress shirts? Nordstrom's and all other major dept and men's stores carry one version or another.

20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I only wear wrinkle free... i don't think it matters especially because the backpack weighs so much with all my edc gear