1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What bag faults or quirks drive you crazy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

What bag faults or quirks drive you crazy? , are there any designs that make you scratch your head or anything youve noticed that makes zero sense.

Maybe if we discuss them we can improve design.

Havoc 30 looks nice but that molle panel in the top seems just for visual appeal, it looks as if anything added there would topple the pack over or make opening difficult.
    The main beaver tail has none seems odd.

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I hate bags that fall forward when sitting on the ground fully loaded. That said, it's not enough to make me hate my Rush 24 even when it falls over all the time.

I'm not a fan of the grommet holes in the bottom of the 5.11 Rush series bags. It's a double edged sword. It makes it easier to clean out the bag, but if you set the bag down in a wet area, the gear in the bottom of the bag gets soaked.

I wish more bags came with devices to properly manage webbing. I hate having the webbing from the strap adjustment hanging everywhere. Yeah, it's easy to counter with a rubber band or to purchase a web dominator or something to do the job, but I think that's something packs should just come with.

3. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Good points i agree with all of them

4. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

To take care of the 5.11 Rush grommet holes, check out this thread: Plugging a Rush's Holes!!

RoadWizard and _mg_ like this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Straps losing their adjustment drives me crazy. I have to adjust the shoulder straps of my Vanquest Trident 20 EVERY time I put the bag on. Ugh!!

6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I know of the various ways to plug the holes. For the moment I decided to leave it be and see how much of a problem it really is. So far, it's only been an issue once.

7. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Compression strap buckle that gets in the way when un /zipping the main compartment.
    Big vertical zippered openings

_mg_, 343KD and Water-Rat like this.
  8. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I start out carrying versipak clones. The fact you can't set it down and it stay upright irritates me greatly

9. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Straps that have no traction. I have an (expensive) Tumi shoulder bag that slips around like crazy. I got it for airport use, but whenever you lean over to check your luggage or whatever it falls in front of you. Useless.

10. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Try and drizzle some hot glue on the strap, should give you more traction. You may have to experiment with different types of glue

11. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Gentlemen,

Please check this out: How to prevent a webbing strap from slipping. Problem solved. Good luck.

LivingUpNorth and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Packs that don't zipper all the way down both sides. I love my Rush 24 and specifically got it to replace an old pack that zippered 3/4 down one side and only 1/4 the way down the other side.

343KD and backwater-otter like this.
  13. backwater-otter

Agreed. Can't wait to get my Rush 12. It's going to be so much better than the Red Rock I have that only zips halfway. Storage increases dramatically.

Batsy and Water-Rat like this.
  14. backwater-otter

Another big one for me. That's why many Maxpedition products seem too crazy to buy, they have straps and compression everywhere.

15. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I had a previous version of the TNF Jester. The admin panel covered only the lower half of the divider. As anything put in the main compartment succumbed to gravity and ended up at the bottom of the bag, this meant that a half-full bag was fully filled at the bottom and completely empty at the top.

Dumb design making the bag as bulky and awkward as possible at all times.

16. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Good idea, but not doable on the Vanquest. The ends of the straps are stitched to a loop around the primary strap.

o6eah and Skunk Ape like this.
  17. Sigdog

Sigdog Loaded Pockets

Zips that require two hands every time because they either go around a sharp corner of are just plain hard to pull along in a straight line!:mad:

Bad sholder strap designs on backpacks that make the straps slide off the sholders too easily.

Yes as karlito said..... can't stand packs with that front compartment with a long vertical zipper (sides are usually ok because they are usually used for drink flasks ect.).

I EDC a J-Tech Herecles backpack, very heavy duty, zippers right down both sides, really nice construction........ but heavy!

Last edited by Sigdog, Nov 6, 2016
    PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  18. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I hate bags with black internal materials. Lighter color interior with contrast on anything like the edge of a pocket or zipper is a huge plus.

I hate 2 handed zippers, in fact it should be decreed by the most high that 2 handed anything be banished.

I hate Messenger or single strap bags that place the strap mount points too low, thus you can put the bag on your shoulder and it is trying to flip upside down.

I really hate the weird size tiny slots in the admin section of most bags. How many unsharpened pencils do normal people carry? Why can't on of those slots be sized to take an AA or 123 light...

I also despise full width open top pockets, they just sag when loaded and really offer no benefit. Usually they are placed higher up on the back panel, where addl storage would be great, but they are often full depth, so smaller items get lost at the bottom and the weight and bulk ends up at the bottom too. Something like the zipper pockets in the moab10 is better.

I am not fond of molle panels on the front flap, as they serve no purpose. If you put a pouch on them it adds weight and bulk to a moving part, thus making zippers work harder, etc.

I am really not fond of compression straps. They get in the way, require a bunch of addl steps to get anything open and are really no use on a EDC bag. If they are removable, and whatever hardware left behind is super low profile (yeah right...) I can live with them as being part of a bag's design. Otherwise they are as useful as molle on the front flap.

And the main issue I see with gear is a "one size fits all" mentality. We are all snowflakes! I am around 6 foot and overweight, but I happen to have a big chest and wide shoulders to go with it. So I have a larger circumference under my arms and across my back. Quite a lot of gear simply just does not fit, or requires extreme adjustment which ends with the sternum strap being a neck strap, or other such problems. I also have reasonable sized upper arms, not weightlifter, but apparently bigger than what mfgs think is "normal". So a lot of clothing and gear, even in XXL sizes just does not fit. I look around and there are plenty of guys bigger than me, so I wonder why this issue exists...

mizedog likes this.
  19. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I agree with this 100%. The waist strap buckle on my Vanquest Falconer 27 requires two hands to open. The only time I've ever seen these types of safety buckles is on straps for small children (i.e. high chairs, carriers, etc.) so that the child cannot accidentally play with the buckle and unfasten them. I don't see what the purpose of using these types of buckles on a backpack serves, other than making it extremely annoying to take off.

20. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure this is a fault but it sure drives me mad. I've just been to a conference and been given a backpack. So today I travelled with the backpack and a rolling travel case across the continent and as I'm not able to wear the back with a suit I have to tried and wrap its straps around the poles of the trolley case. Despite my best efforts to twist them , the backpack squirms an cause the whole lot to topple while in motion, dragging the backpack along the ground. I suggest if the markers provide some locking mechanism between the straps to allow them to collapsed together nicely...

tbzbbt

VSchep01 likes this.