1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Backpack should I buy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by vaughn71765, Aug 26, 2009.

1. vaughn71765

vaughn71765 Empty Pockets

I am looking to buy a backpack in a couple of weeks and as I have looked over this site I have been overwhelmed by all the different opinions of what makes a good EDC. So I will give you what I am going to do with it and possible other uses. Then I would like some input into what you think is the best EDC for me. I am giving you the chance to shout your praises and rants about the packs out there and then I will weigh and measure everything and make my decision. So here goes:

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop that I love to take with me everywhere, so I need to be able to take it and the power cord, mouse and headphones as well. I have several books for paramedic class as well as a couple of folders. I need to keep a large assortment of pens and pencils, and markers with me as well. After that it is pretty simple I would like to stock a FAK for a family of 5 (3 of which are female) and be able to use it as an overnight or carry-on as well. I am going to load it up for working on an ambulance and other hostile environments that I am required to work in with my other certifications.

So now is your chance, what would you think is the best pack out there for what I want to do. Tell me, persuade me, rant about that piece of junk you bought and will never let anyone buy one if you can help it. I just want to know what are the best choices for me. If you have questions ask and I will be happy to tell you. Thanks and hope to hear from alot of you. :popcorn:

2. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

I will be original for once and recommend Oakley Icon III backpack instead of usual maxped stuff.
    Great pack, really, not that much internal organisation as my beloved Falcon II, but really nice. Good to carry laptop too, although I don't have Dell Vostro to see how it fits there.

3. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Jansport Odyssey is a surprisingly well made pack that also fits your needs well at a reasonable price point. You can bend the aluminum frame stay for a custom fit.

Phil

4. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

well, as somebody who is looking at his next backpack, i'll tell you about the packs that have attracted my attention:

- a bunch of the Lowepro computer/camera combos seen here. not a big camera person but the modular nature of bags are appealing

- camelbak urban rover (d/c'd and tough to find but they pop up on evilbay)

- the newer camelbak urban assault (and XL)

Kinda trying to move away from the tacticool and find something that's very functional/practical but a little lower key than the maxped products i have. urban rover doesn't quite do that but better than my malaga.

5. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

you can't go wrong with a 5.11 RUSH 24. I don't own one but I can tell you it is a great backpack. Just buy a padded case for you laptop so you can place it safely inside.

6. sbiner

sbiner Loaded Pockets

Yes, and it'll help narrow your backpack search because you have the "padded" option factored out. just a thought. :D

7. vaughn71765

vaughn71765 Empty Pockets

Wow! ;D I didn't expect such a wide variety of choices. I guess I will have to add some now to things I would like. I like the thought of a hydration bag in the pack. I will also say that I am very tactically minded and there is a local store that builds military equipment so I can always add components to to the pack if need be. I know that I am changing some of the things that might have you suggest a bag but I figure I should let you know how I think before you spend time trying to defend or support a bag. I have looked at a couple of the bags already and they are pretty awesome so keep the suggestions coming. I did look at the Falcon II even though it was not recommended I like the way it can be compressed and expanded. Anyway, thanks for what you have sent and keep it up.

8. ewenit

ewenit Empty Pockets

I'd recommend a North Face Recon. It looks to be made specifically for your needs.

9. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

Check out the Booq Bags.

Higher end but man, are they cool!

10. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I'm going to mention one I have owned, and one I haven't.
    The Eagle Crossover Pack is one I have owned. With what you have described that you want to carry, you need something more then just a laptop carrier. You need a bag that can carry a laptop, and a FAK to cover 5 people. Plus you want to be able to use it for a carry-on, so you need a good size bag. I thought I had posted pics somewhere of the Crossover I owned, but I can't find them on the forum. I think it might do the trick for your needs. And it only cost about $100. Great bag at a great price.
    Here is a link to Eagles site: http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=16162&cat=60&page=1

Some pics of the inside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't owned one, but I like the looks of the Camelbak Urban Rover. Cost more(around $150.00 or so), but it probably has better small pockets for the little things. I think both packs are around the same size in volume(2100 cubic inches or more.) I know the Crossover will hold a 12" record in it, no problem. The gentleman that bought it from me wanted it for his DJ gigs.
    Both have some molle, so you can add a pouch or two if needed.

Let us know what you decide. :)

11. GregBFL

GregBFL Loaded Pockets

I've been looking for a laptop backpack and all the reviews I could find spoke very highly of the Tactical Tailor Enhanced Day Pack. One review compared it to several of the packs previously mentioned it this post and ranked it first. I haven't purchased it yest but if your interested here is a link to TT's website http://www.tacticaltailor.com/enhanceddaypack.aspx . I've found a couple of places you can get it delivered for around $100.

12. Just Matt

Just Matt Empty Pockets

Kifaru is a good place to start looking. Especially if you want something that is customizable to add stuff on. https://www.kifaru.net/AG_1.html#

Also check out Mystery Ranch/Camelback's Tri-Zip packs. I love my TAD Gear Fast Pack but it seems a little small for everything you want to do.

13. tbird911

tbird911 Empty Pockets

I Got a really nice Mystery Ranch 3-day assault with laptop carrier insert and medical / velcro pallet for sale-- never used.