1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Froley, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Breck

Breck Empty Pockets

A Canticle for Leibowitz

WsRub04 likes this.
  2. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I just finished reading Stephen King's "Thinner."

The first half of the book is horribly slow-paced, but contains most of the horror in the story. The 2nd half moves faster but is tough to believe even by the standards of horror-based fiction. The ending was . . . Well, I could see the ending coming from several miles away. Which actually would have been fine, if it wasn't for the fact that it was even worse than what I expected when it finally arrived. Sort of like biting into your very first, giant, chocolate bunny; only to realize it's hollow inside.

Even King admits that his least popular novel is "Rose Madder." (Actually, it starts out great and would have been a very compelling novel if the supernatural elements had been left completely out of it. And, if it had a proper ending instead of one that was blatantly tacked-on.) "Thinner" is clearly a very close 2nd.

4. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Ready player one---new post cyber punk novel
    [​IMG]

5. jspalding

jspalding Empty Pockets

6. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee Empty Pockets

The end of growth - Richard Heinberg. Its about the current world financial predicament

7. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

The Siege - Rhiannon Frater

8. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

WillAdams likes this.
  9. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

Daimonic Reality by Patrick Harpur and Night Photography: Finding your way in the dark by Lance Keimig. Both are excellent.

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Break no bones - Kathy Reichs. I started her books at the beginning of the summer, and hoped to finish them all before school starts. I guess I'd better hurry.

11. nellyhartley

nellyhartley Empty Pockets

I’m reading Beloved by Toni Morrison. It’s dark, disturbing, painful and beautiful.

12. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

George R. R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons- the 5th book in the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series. Perhaps not quite as good as the previous books, but I'm still loving it. Just need to wait for the final two volumes to be published.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

"98.6 Degrees: The art of keeping your a s s alive." by - Cody Lundin.

Written before he became 1/2 of the TV show "Dual Survival," Lundin's book is a bit different than many on the subject of survival. It's not a full-blown manual. Doesn't stand well on its own, but would make an excellent supplementary book in a well-rounded wilderness survival library. Just a bit of vulgarity in the book. Illustrations are fun and educational to a degree. Ironically, Lundin claims that his book kills some sacred cows and steps on more than a few toes with his outlook on survival in the wild. But actually, it doesn't. His biggest divergence with other books on the subject is that he doesn't advocate actively trying to catch fish or animals for food. Reasoning quite correctly that many survival situations last 72 hours, and thus more energy might be spent than necessary on such an activity as fishing or hunting for food.

Lundin also advocates against wasting time building a stil to collect water. Pointing out that his students have always ended up exerting more energy, and thus losing more water from their bodies in building such a thing than the amount of water it ended up providing. Lastly, he advocates carry 3x more water than what other survival experts recommend. Other than that, Lundin actually ends up agreeing with conventional wisdom and the status quo.

He does go into great detail about clothing choices and his own personal survival kit. Pointing out that such kits are easily to assemble and need not be expensive at all. Definitely worth reading.

14. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

A Nightmare's Prayer, by LtCol. Michael Franzak. He is a retired Marine Harrier pilot. The book details his squadron's exploits during its yearlong deployment to Afghanistan in the early part of Operation Enduring Freedom. A good read.

WillAdams likes this.
  15. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

You and I have similar tastes. I'm too much of a "type A" to read fiction. Drives my wife nuts.

16. smithy

smithy Loaded Pockets

I read everything Terry Pratchett throws at me ! Read all Discworld Books started to read them in the German Translation later on I had to have them in English !

Then of course there is "Jack Reacher" by Lee Child read most of those in English and guess what in the last book i finished was a reference to that character. The book was "Under the Dome" by the King. Stephen King that is.

Right now its A.Lee. Martinez " To many curses" in the German translation " Zuviele Flüche"

I personal recommend you to read Bill Brysons "A short History of nearly everything" for a "science book" its quite a page turner.

17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'm not even supposed to be reading right now. I'm supposed to be writing. My editor is going to have my legs broke if I miss another deadline.

WillAdams likes this.
  18. nellyhartley

nellyhartley Empty Pockets

I’m reading Beloved by Toni Morrison. It’s dark, disturbing, painful and beautiful.

19. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

The Inner Circle by T C Boyle.

20. Ghostface

Ghostface Loaded Pockets

Just got Lights Out by David Crawford. Gonna start reading it when Irene lands...that should keep me busy till its over.