1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Froley, Jun 18, 2011.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Of course, you are absolutely right. You just don't do this kind of thing. But Melville does. And that is exactly why I like it!

I do not quite agree with you on this point. I do not believe that Melville does this just to present factual details. If he did, I guess I would agree with your verdict on the book. However, I believe that Melville includes his long, rambling, essayistic passages partly to give character to his narrator, partly to provide the right backdrop to the story he is telling, but mostly just for the heck of it.

I do agree that long passages contain mostly nonsense, but it is a refreshingly novel and well-written kind of nonsense. Granted, I don't think I would bother reading another book written like Moby Dick, but that is kind of the point here. You stated yourself that you have literally never encountered this type of nonsense before. Neither have I, and that's exactly what makes it so enjoyable.

Again, I beg to differ. As another writer and former magazine editor (not comparing myself to Melville either), I have seen - and produced - my share of first drafts. Whimsical as it is, I do not think Moby Dick reads like one. Apart from the very end, which always seemed like an afterthought to me, I think the novel is quite well put together. Even though Melville makes a lot of detours, I think he arrives at the right place in the right time, after a rather interesting journey. That is quite rare in first drafts.

Froley likes this.
  2. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

The Hastur Cycle from Chaosium, Think I'm gonna read the whole series.

3. Montag84

Montag84 Uber Prepared

Open by Andre Agassi

4. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

50 pages in and so far this is very pleasing--funny--a trailer park girl in a cyberpunk future--inherits a fortune and a criminal gang--all while being hunted by
    internet-uploading camera wearing psycho's attempting to kill her.....

ran23 and Dorian like this.
  5. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

For once since school. I'm reading more than one book.
    "Modern Homesteading: Rediscovering the American Dream" by The Wranglerstar family
    "My folks Claimed the Plains; a Treasury of Homestead Stories" Found a first year print from 1978
    "Bushcrafting 101" by Dave Canterbury

Sharaz_Jek and Lellobeetle like this.
  6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

First off, my apologies for the late reply. I didn't get a notification. Honestly, people are free to like what they like. You like the fact that Melville scewed over his own readers and acted like a raging jerk. Well, that's what you like. Not going to dispute that. Only thing is, when authors do that, the vast majority of their fan base doesn't react to it in a positive way. Hence, one reason "Moby-Dick" was panned after its initial release.

That is one point we'll have to continue to disagree on. Ishmael himself is the narrator for most, but not all, of the book. His character development was already taken care of near the start of the novel. For me, the textbook chapters, along with the nonsense chapters came off as mostly useless filler. Something to break up the pace and monotony of a story that mainly takes place in one setting with a set cast of characters. Melville does introduce other characters. But none last too long. There were two incredibly funny moments in the novel, and I wish Melville had put in more. The sermon to the sharks, and how Mr. Flask remained an "unbuttered man" were hilarious. But doing things just for the heck of it is another reason the novel was initially panned. He did things for the heck of it for about 3/4 of the novel.

I'm sorry but there's a reason why other professional authors haven't done that before. You're trying to take one of the biggest issues with the book, a great reason for even hard-core book lovers to skip it, and trying to present it as some sort of wonderful thing not found in other novels. It doesn't work that way. Some things.... no one has done in the past, or since; simply because no one was dumb enough to do it before or since. And the same applies to authors. Nonsense is nonsense. There's nothing refreshing about wasting time, reading gibberish that a professional author like Melville knew better to include in his novel, but did so anyway. An author can include an insane character in his novel. Can even have that character spew forth nonsense at times. But not when that character is the narrator himself who goes off with his thoughts in literally over 100 chapters.

That becomes nothing more than aggravating. I finished the novel, but I'll never fault any reader for not doing so. Heck, I wouldn't even fault them for tossing it in the trash before finishing it. Melville's book doesn't deserve its classic status. Get a half way decent editor to trim it down to 1/4 its size, and then it'll deserve its status. The novel as published deserved being panned by the critics. After the novel, Melville thought himself a failure as a writer. And honestly, he was right. Here he had an incredible novel. Something truly fantastic. A thing of great literary worth..... And he buried it under a sheer mountain of manure. It does honestly read like a completely unedited first draft.

Once again, we're just not going to agree. It was definitely a journey. Occasionally an interesting one. I found it to be one filled with detours and dead ends. For those such as myself who enjoy really getting into a novel and just devouring it, Melville made that impossible. Imagine being in a Ferrari. You're on a perfect road closed off to other drivers. You punch it!! And every time that needle comes even close to 50mph.... The brakes kick in thanks to the computer in the car and stop you in your tracks. Turns out, it's not a glitch. The car's engineers intentionally wired the car that way. THAT is what Melville did with "Moby-Dick."

artaxerxes and Daywalker like this.
  7. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Bridge of Spies.

Halfway through the book I went and watched the movie (really good!), but there's not really anything to ruin since it's a true story that already happened. Looking forward to continuing to delve into the details in the book.

Sharaz_Jek and moostapha like this.
  8. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Book worse than Moby Dick, in my opinion...Heart of Darkness. What a sheer waste of time. Also absolutely hated Geek Love.

I like biographies and am reading Casta Diva about Montserrat Caballé. If you're not really interested in opera, it'll be deadly dull to you.

Stutz, Sharaz_Jek and Monocrom like this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I like watching operas, but I don't think I really care to read about them.

When I saw Carmen for the first time, my (then) gf and I showed up early and wound up in a lecture about her as a femme fatale...uhh....yeah. Apparently the guy was published. I don't get why.

Anyway....

I'm still working my way through Dresden and Bond. Reading Dresden is honestly a less-rewarding experience than James Marsters reading it on audible. And I always forget how incredibly detailed Flemming is....about so many weird things considering what he got factually wrong. Still fun.

Daywalker and Lellobeetle like this.
  10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Moby-Dick was so mind numbing that I took a week off from reading. Even now, I decided I wanted something fun. So...... "The Zombie Survival Guide" by: Max Brooks.

Stutz, Sharaz_Jek and Daywalker like this.
  11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I guess that's one thing we can agree on.

Monocrom likes this.
  12. Montag84

Montag84 Uber Prepared

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Froley likes this.
  13. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

An excellent choice----!

Montag84 likes this.
  14. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

About 50 pages in---I am enjoying this----
    [​IMG]

BFG and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  15. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

She played one of my favorite Doctor Who companions, Romana. She was taken from us far too soon as well.

[​IMG]

ran23 likes this.
  16. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

The Hastur Cycle
    Started reading everything from Chaosium...

Durandal64 likes this.
  17. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Didn't know about Mary Tamm , Thank You.

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  18. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

Yeah. She passed on the same year as Lis Sladen. Admittedly, I had a hard time with both.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  19. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

wow talk about a dark and gloomy day here. thanks again. Mary--I', turning 62 soon.

20. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Mysteries of the Worm/ De Vermis Mysteriis by Robert Block