1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Froley, Jun 18, 2011.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I've been in a reading rut for the last few months. Just can't seem to get excited or focused on reading. Not happy about it but can't seem to break through it :unsure:

ran23 and kertap75 like this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I get that way sometimes too. I read mostly sci fi/fantasy or historical fiction. when I get in a funk and don't feel like reading I'll change it up some and pick a different genre. Non fiction, spy, poetry, classics,even the occasional romance novel. Sometimes it's as simple as finding a new author. What do you usually read?

GatorMedic likes this.
  3. GatorMedic

Almost exclusively non-fiction, 90% of which is military history. I do find sometimes I can recharge by reading a novel, but honestly don't know of any I'm interested in right now that aren't along the lines of historical fiction which somewhat defeats the purpose.

scbubba and kertap75 like this.
  4. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, it seems harder for people who read mostly non fiction to find something different to enjoy. Maybe something like a short story anthology that can be read in shorter bursts with less commitment? I know there are some anthologies of things like soldiers letters and military speeches. Historical fiction might be worth looking into even though it's not very different then what you already read. I'm guessing you wouldn't like alternative history stuff though, most history buffs that I know can't stand it lol.

GatorMedic likes this.
  5. No Agenda
    • In Omnia Paratus

No Agenda Loaded Pockets

I just started A Serpent's Tooth by Craig Johnson.

Blade Girl likes this.
  6. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I think this is completely normal--I for one go through alternate time periods of weeks of absorbing huge numbers of books to weeks of not interested---

GatorMedic likes this.
  7. GatorMedic

Short stories is actually a really good suggestion if I can find some I might be interested in. Will have to take a look into that, thank you. I honestly think I might need to read something completely different to perhaps recharge, something not military or history. But as my reading is focused on that I wouldn't even know where to start with that search... Maybe read a sports book or something but honestly want a novel or short stories that read like a small novel...

scbubba and kertap75 like this.
  8. GatorMedic

I do as well, but this spell has lasted for several months with only a week or two of any solid reading. I've made a few attempts at getting back on track because I want to get back into enjoying it, but just can't seem to get over the hump this time. I guess I just need to find that amazing, life-changing book that sucks me back in...

scbubba likes this.
  9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I love collections of short stories because you can quickly read through a story in one sitting and then come back and start a new one instead of breaking off in the middle of a longer story.

I don't know how you feel about western stories, but the western author Louis L'Amour was a favorite of mine in my teenage years. When he first started, much of his work was short stories for the adventure type magazines of the time. After he passed, his children published several volumes of his short stories. They're not all westerns, many of them are WWII stories, adventure, exploration, boxing, mystery, and survival themed stories.

Other authors I like that have short story collections are Jeffrey Deaver and Jeffrey Archer. Also, you could try some really short stories, Microfiction or Flashfiction collections generally have stories that are under 1,000 words or sometimes less than 250.

Since you like non-fiction military history stuff, there's a few books out there that are short story collections of various accounts of soldiers, pilots, etc. When I was younger, there were a couple of books, Aces and Aces over Japan, that I read a few times. Great accounts of fighter pilots during WWII.

kertap75 and scbubba like this.
  10. GatorMedic

Water-Rat I used to read Louis L'Amour a lot in middle school cause they were the only books in our school library that I actually liked lol and we were required to read for one hour each morning. I only read his westerns though, didn't know he wrote on other subjects as well. Might be worth a try to get back into them when I need a non-fiction break

Thanks for y'alls help. I did some searching today and picked out a couple books to try to get me out of my rut. I started looking for books on kayaking adventures as I wanting to get into that hobby soon and wound up purchasing the hardback Without a Paddle: Racing Twelve Hundred Miles Around Florida by Sea Kayak off of Amazon. Seeing as how I have to wait for it to come in the mail, I looked around some more and also ended up buying the Kindle edition of Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail and have started to read that. 50 pages in so far and seems like a good read for me at this moment. Hope it's the spark that rekindles my reading

kertap75 and Water-Rat like this.
  11. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

I just finished "The Cathedral and The Bazaar" Eric Raymonds claim to fame.

Last edited by GermanyChris, Mar 2, 2015
    scbubba likes this.
  12. EFras

EFras Loaded Pockets

The Roald Dahl short stories are fantastic!

GatorMedic likes this.
  13. 8steve88

8steve88 Loaded Pockets

Pillars of the earth/World without end by Ken Follett a couple of epic books. Set in 1120-1147 and 1327-1361.

14. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists by Dan Barker

I've just ordered ANOTHER copy of The End of Faith by Sam Harris. Love that book!

GrayMouser likes this.
  15. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

Confessions of an English Opium-Eater by Thomas De Quincey.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  16. GrayMouser

I may have asked this before, apologies if I have, but how do feel about Christopher Hitchens?
    Big fan myself.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  17. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I like Hitch a great deal. Missionary Position was my introduction to his written work but I've seen lots of his debates on YouTube.

GrayMouser likes this.
  18. GrayMouser

Have you seen the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate? Very cool.

jonny8642 and scbubba like this.
  19. GrayMouser

Last edited by GrayMouser, Mar 4, 2015
    AK Adventurer and scbubba like this.
  20. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Inca Gold
    A Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler
    (I'm addicted to these PItt novels, and everything else Cussler writes)

Water-Rat and GermanyChris like this.