1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Are You Eating Right Now? Part 3

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Valerian, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

No, the incidence in the U.S.A. is very low...that was a worldwide number & more of the cases are in underdeveloped countries. The U.S., like most first-world countries has protections in place. There is not an "immunity" you can develop against worms, so that theory is bogus. As former President Reagan said, "Trust but verify". I verify I won't get trichinosis by cooking pork. It's not communicable, so every one else can do what they want. There's a reason many religions come down against eating pork. They may not have known how disease was happening, but they knew to avoid pork and all would be well. BTW, some wild game is also susceptible to trichinosis...nasty stuff.

2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

@Tesla
    That's not entirely true. I suffer from colitis ulcerosa, and that is considered a "first world" disease. People who get exposed to dirt, shady meat (read worms and bugs) etc. like in Africa and so on, do not develop it. Or at least, in comparison it is neglectible. There has been a study on it. So to say that there is no such thing as immunity to (the damage) worms do, is not true.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

The idea that eating habits in religion have to do with health is far spread. Yet, it’s not true. Different dietary habits and rules are in place mainly to distinguish between “them” and “us”. Like so many other rituals in religion. TBH I thought the same way. Then a few years ago, someone who studies the whole topic, explained to me, that it’s about showing faith.
    Plus, I did not say anything about immunity. We are on the same page here.

Austria est imperare orbi universo.

A.B. likes this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I said something about immunity. And studies have shown that the more you are exposed to harmful germs, the better your immune system. I can testify to that. After my diagnosis, I started eating food without preservatives and all that crap. Eat meat freshly killed. And presto. No more bowel troubles

echo victor likes this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Except Trichinosis is not a germ; it's a worm. You can't get immunity to it by exposure.

6. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Ok, to be clear. A study has shown that colitis and crohn can be managed by ingesting worms. And not the fishing kind. The ones that are found in bad meat and dirt. People in 3d world countries simply don't get it because it is all they do. Hence, my comment on immunity

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You're basing your understanding on something from a single source? There are still people who believe the Earth is flat, too. I suggest you at least check a few sources before being so dogmatic. Start with the Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_restrictions_on_the_consumption_of_pork
    Maimonides definitely believed there were health reasons for the proscription of pork.
    BTW, I'm not an anti-pork crusader. I just believe in cooking it for safety reasons, as do most people in the U.S.

8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

No. Not a single source. Since I am a sufferer of colitis, I kind of read up on it and got advice from many pros in their field. Their advice was: stop eating crap with preservatives, your immune system will only get stronger through exposure (guess you are an anti vaxxer since vaccinations contain the disease to make you immune. That is the way it works). Maybe the pros in the US have a different approach. But say what you will, since that whole covid crap we chose for herd immunity and we are a hell of a lot better off then the US. Sorry for the rant. I am a little stressed and tired. Cheers from Holland

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Firstly, I could not find any reference to the "study" you refer to in an internet search--maybe you'd care to quote the source of the study....maybe "VoodooMedicine.com"?
    Secondly, it certainly is not the prevailing opinion of the medical community
    Third, Your assertion that people in 3rd world countries don't get colitis & Crohn's is debunked by the facts: http://www.cureresearch.com/c/crohns_disease/stats-country_printer.htm

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

No, you've made an incorrect assumption. I get vaccinations, but your assertion that they "contain" the disease is incorrect, medically speaking. I fear we've taken the discussion a little far afield, however & should get back to the topic...:cool:

11. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

In comparison to the western world, it is nothing. And by 3d world, I do mean the people in the back country. Not the ones that live in the city and eat processed food. And the study is pretty new and controversial. But, it seems promising. I keep reading up on it since it almost killed me and could strike again. I will look it up and post a link for you. I have it somewhere. The old saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" comes to mind...

12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Nope. Vaccinations contain the disease, very reduced in strength or even just parts or dead. But none the less, they are in there mate

13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

But, getting off topic here. Fish, roast potatoes and a salad

Tesla likes this.
  14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

You might wanna keep the ball flat here, pal. At least I consider this as a friendly community and your tone is not very friendly. This at the same time ends my discussion about this topic. That’s because I don’t go down the rabbit hole of heated arguments again.

Austria est imperare orbi universo.

A.B. likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm going to come in at the tail end of this discussion.

As y'all know (or can figure out!) I'm a Jew. Famously, there are a number of animals who's flesh we do not eat. Pork being the virtual 'poster child' for this proscription. Muslims in general do not eat pork either, although they do eat many types of flesh which we do not.

With regard to rationales. Maimonides (aka the 'Rambam'), was one of our greatest sages. He was also a physician, and derived 'explanations' for many dietary constraints, pork being just one. He also came up with explanations for not eating meat and dairy together (something else we are known to avoid; also another difference with our Muslim 'cousins'). And no, Maimonides was neither the first nor the last to derive such explanations.

Coming down to basics though, Judaism does have an extensive list of 'mitzvoth' (aka 'commandments') which we follow; total of 613 on the books (many cannot be fulfilled due to the absence of the Temple in Jerusalem). But I digress. The mitzvoth can be categorized in various ways: actions which are prohibited vs actions which we should do is one such categorization. Another categorization are those for which a 'rational' explanation is GIVEN in Torah (aka the Five Books of Moses) vs those that are categorized as 'chook' (the word is a Hebrew word; this is as close as I can do it in English) meaning it has to be taken on faith. Period.

The rules of Kosher (dietary constraints in this discussion) animal flesh come down to pretty much 4 categories of living animals: (1) land animals are ONLY those with a true split hoof AND which chew their cud. Which btw excludes camel. (2) Birds that are permitted are actually listed by name in Torah; as are prohibited birds -- mostly predatory birds and scavengers (e.g. vultures) (3) 'seafood' - fresh or salt water - are permitted IF and ONLY IF they have both fins and scales. This has led to some interesting discussions, for example regarding monkfish. Turns out when they are immature monkfish do have scales and hence are considered 'kosher'. OTOH, ALL shellfish and crustaceans are NOT. (4)finally, and of mild interest, 4 species of locust are identified in Torah as 'kosher'. Problem is many Jews of the world - especially the European branch known as Ashkenzai, have no idea what these various locusts look like. I've heard a story that during a study session on the subject there were some Jews who came not from Europe but rather for the last 2,000 years had lived in various Middle East 'neighborhoods' -- they were amused and absolutely stated they DID still know which locusts were which... :)

One last anecdote which usually becomes interesting in the USA in November. When the Jews of Europe first started large scale immigrations to the US, they were puzzled about what to do with regard to eating 'turkey'. Which are not mentioned by name in Torah. I do not know how the debates went, but in the end, turkey were considered to be similar enough to chicken, Cornish game hens, etc, and therefore could be considered 'kosher'. To everyone's delight of course!

This may be more than some of you wanted to know. Sorry about that. I'll also say that I've only 'scratched the surface' of the rules of what is kosher... Didn't even touch on how animals should be slaughtered for example....

I know I know TL:DR rules....

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Tesla and A.B. like this.
  16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Very interesting, Moshe.

17. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Back to what this thread is about,

Brisket, sausage, bacon and baked beans. It's probably not kosher, doesn't have worms and tastes incredible!

[​IMG]

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Interesting how different cultures look at what's "good food" It's my understanding, for example, that Europeans generally don't look at corn in the same light that Americans (North, Central, and South) do. I'm sure everyone has personal & cultural preferences, but IME, most people like what they grew up eating. I understand Ben Franklin thought the turkey should be the national bird, but in our family circle, we usually include another meat (usually beef brisket or ham) at Thanksgiving. I'd like to hear what others have to say on what's good and not good. My sister always put sugar on buttered biscuits, but we all made fun of her for it....:)

A.B. and Moshe ben David like this.
  19. Moshe ben David

You'd like Thanksgiving at my friend's home. He just about ALWAYS prepares brisket AND turkey. YUM! Just no butter on the biscuits.... ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Tesla likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Tell you what. I am known to cook up a pot of something similar ... could be labelled chili or as my wife calls it 'stew' depending on which and how many 'chili peppers' I include ;). As you might expect, any sausage in mine is just not pork based; and if I bothered to have a meat product salty like bacon it would be a turkey bacon...

Yeah I know. Not your bowl of chili. I do usually use one of the commercial chili mixes, usually something labelled 'Six Gun' or similar.... with the spice mix at full throttle...and sometimes then some! :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

A.B. and DSRacing like this.