1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What are the top EDC things and methods you have learned about here

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by BklynBoy, Oct 28, 2013.

1. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Top things that I learned about here and adopted into my life:
    • There are these new things called "LED flashlights" that make pocket carry of a bright light possible
      • Corollary: Pocket carry of a small bright flashlight makes life much more convenient, so I always have one on me now.
    • The existence and utility of small multi-tools. I now carry a Leatherman Squirt in my pocket every day. Formerly I viewed multi-tools as something you put on your belt only when you needed to do some handyman work, normally left in your tool bag.
    • That carrying a small pocket knife daily is useful. I never carried a pocket knife for years. Now I always like to have a relatively small slip-joint for mundane cutting tasks
      • Corollary: I acquired some decent sharpening tools and have learned how to sharpen much better now.
    • That as an average US urban car-commuting office worker, about 70% of the threads here, while interesting, have no bearing on my life.
    • That there are far more brands of bourbon than I ever knew about, and that I actually like drinking some of them which I would never have tried were it not for the "what is your favorite bourbon" thread.

2. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

+1 +1 +1!!!

3. Elduka

Elduka Loaded Pockets

There are so many things and so many different style of everything that it is so hard to choose
    Im not the only one out there

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  4. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I have learned how to Acid Etch. How to make some para cord knots. How to make lanyards and twisted copper beads. More about flashlights than I thought possible. Lots and lots about Multi tools. Most important learned thing to me though is, Not to take for granted a particular knife or brand, just cause it's not what I am used to. I have some really outstanding knives now, I'd have never looked at before. Nice Topic.

Xiii and Southpaw like this.
  5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

SAKplumber and warchild like this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just realized I've written on here before. Looks like I've kept the same philosophy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

Prioritize items and create a core carry that you are comfortable carrying and using everyday. Compliment your carry with items on a situation by situation basis. Put your system to work, tweak and refine as needed. Finally accept that you will never be 100 percent ready for everything life throws at you so you can stop worrying about your gear (not entirely of course :p).

Oh also everyone does things differently learn and grow not just from your own experiences but from others as well but really that applies everywhere :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  8. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Pry tools save knives. Old eyes love lights. Suspension clips keep you from getting stabbed by your keys. Splitting your car keys off the main ring is a great idea. I'm still learning how to sharpen things, so I can't claim a victory there, yet :). Making stuff yourself is rarely economical but always satisfying. You can always count on your friends here.

Cheers, Ted

powerring likes this.
  9. WichitaJLJ
    • In Omnia Paratus

WichitaJLJ Loaded Pockets

Mumbojumbo and Vesp got me into the KSF pocket sheath a year ago.

I now carry a fixed blade and a flashlight everyday easily because of its introduction of the sheath :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I just received one of those as a gift and I must say it will be something I have multiples of from now on.

SAKplumber, Xiii and swany66675 like this.
  11. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

Modular systems work wonders for me. I don't need to hike my bulky car key with me of I don't need it, I can just unclip it in a second and toss it back in the drawer. If I'm somewhere knives aren't allowed then off I clip 'em. No more unnecessary weight.

EDIT:- Also this way if somebody wants to borrow something of mine, I don't have to sacrifice my whole keychain to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. DavieWavie

DavieWavie Loaded Pockets

Better a small knife/torch in the hand than a large one at home.

So many times now someone at work has mocked my spyderco bug or led lenser K3 for being small and wimpy, saying I have a real knife, a mans knife, where? At home or in the car ect ect. Well I have the last laugh when my wimpy knife works perfectly and they are trying to chew through a cable tie saying if only.

powerring likes this.
  13. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I think a lot of people have the same feeling as I do. I am not alone and there is a name for people like me :p

14. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

That knife scales are called scales. That used gear is okay. That I'm not the only one more interested in taking something apart than purring it back together. That ruining a tool while trying to customize it is an investment in education, not a waste of money.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

The number one tip I learned here at EDCF, long before I was a member, was that you can carry 6' of paracord down one pant leg by folding it in half and looping it through a belt loop. Don't even realize it is there.

WichitaJLJ and SAKplumber like this.