1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What are the most important attributes for your EDC blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by el_murdoque, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@dgaddis: have you ever considered going to a traditional knife for what you use your edc knife for -- opening packages, opening letters, cutting string? Many of these are very small and light plus somehow seem to evoke less sense of being a weapon amongst the :censored:. There are a wide wide spectrum of choices. I've written elsewhere on here on how I've come to especially like the Case Peanut pattern for this; but even many many of the varied Swiss Army Knives (aka SAK) can do this and many of those afford you a scissor, tweezers, and toothpick...

You'd have to reconcile not having a clip, but then the young punk taking tickets wouldn't even know you had it in your pocket! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. dgaddis

dgaddis Loaded Pockets

I've got three or four traditional style knives...I just don't like them. I've got a Buck, a Case, and two (I think?) no-name something or the others, got them all as gifts. Every time I go to get my keys, it's in the way, gotta fish around to get the keys without also pulling the knife out and dropping it. So that's a deal breaker. Pocket clip keeps it where I can get it quickly when I need it, but otherwise it's out of the way.

Traditionals also aren't one handed opening, which is another deal breaker. With a modern style knife I can be in the middle of something, be holding it in my left hand, and using my right hand I can get the knife out, cut what needs to be cut, and put it back up in a matter of seconds.

3. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

The mailman rang on this joyous day. The UKPK is here.
    What I like about it right from the start is that it is such a rational decision. After sitting down and penning my thoughts on what I want and need from a knife and then bringing those thoughts in order, the UKPK simply rides top of the list of available knifes and therefore had to be owned by me.
    It does have that glove like fit that just slides into my hand.

-It is legal to carry
    -It has the immaculate Spyderco OHO, both for left and right hand.
    -It fits my pocket just well and the clip carries even deeper that my Urban does.
    -From what I gather, the BD1N is considered a halfway decent steel with good edge retention, while the knife itself was not so expensive that I'd be shy putting it to work.
    -The impact on others remains to be determined. In my hands, this does not look like a big or even medium sized knife. It looks like a pen knife.

The tension of the backspring is just right IMO, by the way. The half stop is serious and the blade locks firmly enough.

Here's pics of the new family.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

For me it is blade shape and ease of use (opening and closing).

5. Mikhail Weiss

Mikhail Weiss Loaded Pockets

I have to like it. Since I can carry what I want, that's about it. Since there are a whole bunch of reasons I like knives, I have lots of opportunities to try out different ones without worry.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I live in the UK...fairly rural, but knife crime is freaking everyone out. The upshot of this is that my blade choice is limited to sub 3" cutting edge and non locking. I now choose even smaller and non threatening knives like Victorinox officer or Spyderco Squeak. I also like my CRKT Liong Mah #5, but non knife folks react badly to everything. I'm just quite low key about how and where I use a knife now.

Moose likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Even in rural areas? Blows me away. I'd think that people working be it on a farm or even just in their home garden would have occasion to use a blade longer... without them being freaked out. Unreal!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  8. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Sad but true, Moshe. In Europe, and Great Britain; they have an anathema towards anything being seen as a weapon, or anyone advocating for 'self-defense'. So the mindset is totally geared towards, knives for use as a 'tools-only' mentality. Their populaces have been 'conditioned' to always defer to the government statutes, under which they live. Although, there are some glaring exceptions to this generality. I'm sure some of the Eastern European states have other philosophies regarding both firearms, and knives. I'm just stating the obvious, and mean no implied denigration towards our European friends, or the governments they've chosen to construct, and live under.

Last edited by Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 11, 2019
    #28 Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Buckeye Jake and Moose like this.
  9. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Needs to be reliable, pocketable and preferably multi-use. I need it for food stuff usually. So a SAK does it for me. Usually a Cadet. No need for bigger blades. When I go into the woods I exchange it for a Huntsman or Farmer model. For camping I drop a simple Mora in the backpack.

el_murdoque likes this.
  10. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I know...it's nuts. I have carried a knife of some sort since I was 7 or 8. I grew up on a smallholding and now live in a tiny city (Snowdonia area of North Wales), but I still have to be aware of what I carry, when I use it and who sees it. I can't even carry my Spyderco Manbug (my favourite small knife) legally (1.5" blade I think, but it locks, so it's the devil!!!)

Moose likes this.
  11. el_murdoque

Yes, you'll have to be aware of what you put in your pockets in Europe.
    Even though the UKPK has become my main EDC blade since starting this thread, I often gravitate towards the Manly Wasp when I'm off to more urban environments. As an example, German police of the older generations see the one hand operation of the Spyderco knives as something of a problem - and even though you won't get into any legal trouble, what actually could happen is that you'll have to surrender the knife to the police and come back at a later date once they've established that there has been nothing wrong to collect it.

The Manly Wasp has the firm two hand opening and does not lock and it is shorter than 3".
    It works for UK and Germany, and even for Denmark.

Moose and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  12. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

@el_murdoque, I can not even imagine how you live under those conditions. I live in Arizona, USA and we can carry any knife or firearm. But that's always being challenged.

Good luck and be safe.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  13. Elmiro Dungfoot

I generally agree with the consensus about this topic. A one-knife-does-all, is a pretty tall order for every situation. Which is why, I carry a large folding-blade for general survival/defense applications. A pocket Swiss Army for more 'realistic' needs (scissors, screwdriver, etc.). A multi-tool crosses-over, and fills-in any leftover gap. A solid, reliable fixed-blade is employed in the woods (KaBar, Becker, ESEE, or TOPs). All of the above should be easily maintained, and carry-friendly. Fixed-blades can/should be adapted for carry-options. As Lateck mentioned, the firearm adds a whole new dimension to the scenario.

14. el_murdoque

That's quite easy. You just have to be born in that neck of the woods and these conditions are normal for you.
    You see, I find it hard to imagine that everyone is basically allowed to carry everything. I mean it'd be a great thing for me to be able to carry any knife I'd want to, but quite hard to imagine how it must be to have the thought wedged in the back of your head that basically any bloke on the street might have a gun hidden on his person.
    Yet, it somehow works over here just as it does in your place.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Moose and Lateck like this.
  15. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

is there any particular reason why you use bold for all your comments? That's supposed to be used to highlight important stuff and not for a wall of text.

16. Elmiro Dungfoot

It makes it easier for me to read my responses on the board. Do you have a problem with that? No one else does. Ignore my posts if it bothers you. If the other members have a problem, I will just gladly, remove myself from any further responses. Have a nice day!

Last edited by Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 10, 2019
    #36 Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Buckeye Jake likes this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I find it a little odd but I am so terrified of your Avatar I would never say anything!?:p

18. Elmiro Dungfoot

A candid snap of me from 'Junior College'. I was much-more formidable back then. :rolleyes:

EZDog likes this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Says you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

I guess I can/should clarify where I am on this. I do comprehend the (pathetic!) mind-set of the sheep living in urban areas... which is why when I (under tremendous pressure! ;) ) travel to places like NYC only carry a SAK (not even an Alox; I'm very specific that it be recognized as a SAK!) together usually with a slip-joint SE about the size of a Spyderco Ladybug. I'm not really into having debates with the locals ... at least not about blades I carry!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David