1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What about your neighbour and co-worker?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by twoisone, May 15, 2016.

1. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

You and I both know the value of EDC, and recognize much of the equipment, from sebenza to 6P, but how common is it? Is your neighbour or co-worker carrying a 'zaan or a hds rotary or ---submit your whatever tool here---?

Just curious what you think.

2. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

My office neighbor is a good friend and he liked one of my knives so much he ran out to buy a CRKT folder. I had already given him a tactical flashlight for his birthday. He is almost there. So much fun to watch the kids grow up!

twoisone likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

What are you saying? Is that English?

Moco and F-Bobby like this.
  4. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

I interpreted the question as 'does your neighbor do the EDC thing'. I'm used to interpreting languages, so I made some educated guesses. I just checked, he is from Canada....perhaps my Franglais (french+english) is better than most :)

twoisone likes this.
  5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Most of my neighbors and co-workers don't edc and the ones that do don't know that it's called edc. And none of them would know any of the nicknames for edc items mentioned in the OP.

sungame and twoisone like this.
  6. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

We call each other "ladies" and other names I can't say here.
    We don't call it EDC. and were carrying stuff and admiring each others stuff(stuff being guns,knives,lites, diving equip. and other misc. and sundry items) before we knew that we were edc'ing.:cool:. Most of us probly' still don't.

twoisone likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I was actually talking to TWOISONE. I'm not sure why the quote didn't show up. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

twoisone likes this.
  8. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Half the guys at work carry cheap folding knives. Tac Force tier. Everybody uses a phone for a flashlight. No gear beyond that.

twoisone likes this.
  9. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Glad some of you understood! For the grammarphiles, no worries.

10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My neighbor is a retired mason. I still rarely see him without a Mora on his belt, whether he is working in his garden or enjoying a ride on his el-bike. He probably wouldn't understand the meaning of EDC even when spelled out and translated (not all older Norwegians are very fluent in English). He just does what he has always done, I suppose; carrying the tools he needs to get the job done. Of course, that is what EDC is really about, whether you like to throw about abbreviations on an Internet forum or not.

twoisone likes this.
  11. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

What's an el-bike?

12. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Perhaps it should be abbreviated as e-bike? I mean a bicycle that has a little electric motor that gives you an extra boost, especially on tough uphill stretches. You still need to pedal, but the engine helps you move further and faster with less effort than a regular bicycle.

Lately, these bikes have become very popular over here, especially among the elderly and as cargo or commuter bikes.

twoisone and baccar-3 like this.
  13. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

My coworkers used to laugh at my old Maxpedition bag full of EDC and called it my "Man Clutch"! Until the day one of the ladies in the office locked their purse in the desk and my trusty Boker prybar saved the day. Since then I've dazzled them with my gear that has done everything from light up the backs of desks to connect computers to snagging keys dropped behind file drawers with my extendable magnetic pick up. Buddy of mine has caught the bug and now has flashlights, multitools and at least 2 different fire starting devices!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I can remember seeing bikes like those here in the US at times of gas price escalation, OPEC 'actions', and the like. I think they were labeled 'mo-peds'. I know I've seen them for example in Asia also.

Moshe ben David

15. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i got my coworker hooked on stuff, he wanted a knife he could use for everyday tasks and defend himself with so i suggested the spyderco endura and he loves it, also his birthday just passed so i gave him a leatherman Blast NOS

16. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

My coworkers think a knife is used for wire stripping and paint stirring. My neighbor is a modern day Gladys Kravitz.

17. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

The only person I know that really does the edc thing is my brother, who happens to be LEO. And his sons to some extent. But none of my coworkers or friends or neighbors carry much beyond wallet/ keys/ phone.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Talkatap

18. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I have only one brother out of three and one friend out of hundreds that interested in gadgets in general. We informed each other of sales, availability of new tecnologies, helped each other's in procurements. We tried our best to help other see the light. We usually give out advices and EDC items to friend and family who seem to have the need. My proudest moment is when my now active duty, commissioned nephew ask me to help him choose a flash light. I gave him my Surefire p6x, a Seiko solar dive watch and a ZT350 to start. I got his parent to get him 5.11 socks, Oakley sunglasses and Under Armor T shirts and undies. Over time I see friends and families convert slowly. No one is at our fanatic level just yet but there is hope.

Water-Rat likes this.
  19. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

A few of my co-workers carry SAKs or multi-tools (usually Leatherman). I don't recall seeing too many knives or flashlights.

20. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I don't know anyone else who EDCs at all, but I've become known for being the guy who "definitely has [item], just go ask him" amongst co-workers and friends alike — and they (seem to) rely on me to be around with said items... from my on-person load out and items in my EDC bag to tools in my tool totes. Sadly, I've impressed and advocated plenty, but no one ever catches the bug. I have not seen anyone show up with EDC items after an encounter with my gear or my knowledge. The closest inspiration in recent memory would be a co-worker eyeballing my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants and asking what they were, how much they cost and where to get them. Perhaps he'll realize the benefit of ripstop, water-repelling, gusseted, comfortable, organized and ultimately functional pants, no matter the brand. Here's hoping.