1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What about kifaru?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by dairycreek, Aug 30, 2010.

1. dairycreek

dairycreek Empty Pockets

I read bits and pieces about Kifaru products and am trying to get a "handle" on them. Are they quality or hype? How do they compare with Maxpedition products? They seem to be really expensive. Are they worth it? Any and all opinions welcome.

2. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

I do not own any Kifaru products but know people who do. I have heard more than once that they are definitely top of the line with no hype. But, for top of the line they surely charge top dollar. I have never heard any bad comments about Kifaru other than the prices they charge. Very well made and extremely durable. On the other hand, I am a big Maxpedition fan and am very satisified with the quality and durability of their products.

3. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

No hype involved, handbuilt in colorado and designed by one of the "old timers" of the modern backpack. Top notch!

4. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Really nothing to compare,they are two very different companies,who sell at different price points,aimed largely at different markets.

Maxped is EDC good.....Kifaru is bet your life on it good.

Mike

5. AndyW

AndyW Loaded Pockets

A very good way of putting it!

I can't afford Kifaru gear either but as others have said, I've never heard a bad word said about it.

Had/seen/heard about some MaxP kit that could have been finished better (some loose threads/seams) but on the whole it's good kit.

Andy

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Kifaru gets top marks in military circles - all made in America product lines and custom fitted based on height/weight/waist size.

I have yet to find anyone, in real life or on a board, complain about the quality of the product. Unfortunately, the price usually keeps me from taking the plunge, but they have a clearance sale going on for last year's stock of tactical packs - I bit the bullet and bought a Navigator at 50% off. Even with the discount, it was still $250-ish dollars.

But like I said, the company's reputation is solid enough for me to feel good about taking the plunge and having a 4,000 cubic inch ruck pack lying around is never a bad thing. ;)

-Trevor

7. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

Kifaru is the ultimate heavy use equipment. If you ever have the opportunity to handle one, you'll see why.

Like Mike said, "Maxped is EDC good.....Kifaru is bet your life on it good"

8. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

I have a Kifaru X-ray, organizer & a few pockets.

I got them after viewing Yellowhammers photos and reading some of the thousands of reviews about Kifaru.

After waiting semi patiently for it to be made & shipped (6 long long weeks) I got the box, opened it & picked the x-ray up.

My first thoughts were "this thing will last longer than I will" and the second was "Why did I wait so long to buy this?"

The bag is so far past overbuilt it's not funny.

9. nfa

nfa Empty Pockets

I have some of the organizers and pods, which I think are clever and useful...

I have friends with the packs, and I think they're radically too expensive...they're very well made, but so are lots of packs that cost a lot less...

I have packs (that cost a fraction of what a Kifaru pack costs) that I've been using hard for 20 years, and when they fail, it tends not to be the zippers or seams, it's a catastrophic failure from ripping on a rock or some such...Kifaru packs will fail from these things also...

It is my opinion that some people, with lots of money, buy these, and other expensive gear, as talismans against the dangers of the outdoors...

Jamie - nfa

10. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

I've owned or own several of their pouches and backpacks.

They are one of the highest quality manufacturers in the world.

Maxpedition products are well built for the price, but aren't designed very well. 5.11 products seem to be built better and have more thought put into the design; they're also in the same price category. Kifaru, however, has a hand-built quality that simply cannot be beaten. While some of their designs may not suit you or your needs, handling any of their packs will instantly confirm why there is such a price difference between Maxpedition and Kifaru- because they're worth it.

11. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

You have to also take into account that most of the Kifaru packs you see folks showing off on the internet where built for one audience and purpose. The Military. The tactical line of Kifaru is overbuilt for a reason. Soldiers are hard on gear. Way harder then any civilian hiker/edcer. Their packs are made from 1000 denier cordura (not many companies are made from that material). Their stitching is top notch (never seen a seam fail). And of course a warranty and customer service that is second to none. It's a value when you added it all up.

12. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

They are simply the very best that there is. Mystery Ranch, and maybe Recon Mountaineers may be as good, none are better. Not hype, simply fact based on my experiences - I have several Kifaru and a MR and RM.

13. Lightleak

Lightleak Loaded Pockets

I just got a Kifaru G2 E&E, it definitely is different compared to Maxpedition. I own some Maxpedition stuff and really like it, it´s tough, well made, etc. Yet the E&E is just perfect, has a much smoother (yet bombproof) feel, has a thinner cordura/nylon fabric liner inside and has a simple yet brilliant design. To me it seems that Maxpedition is made for a huge market while Kifaru will not make a single compromise regarding quality.

I also have experienced an exceptionally capable and friendly customer service ordering from Kifaru.

My next large backpack will have a rhino on it.

l.

14. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

I'm liken the X-Ray, I don't have it but just might some time soon......

15. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Saying "Kifaru is better" is a gross oversimplification. It is designed for the military, as panzer states above. However as a civilian, your needs aren't identical or similar to the military. I don't wear body armor, I don't get shot at, I don't lug around heavy radios. It is like owning a Ferrari and driving it around town at 20 mph. Big status symbol that might impress people, but it doesn't do anything better than normal gear at 3x the price.

I haven't been impressed with the few pieces of Maxpedition gear I've purchased and sold.

16. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

True. The only thing is does better is last longer.

17. Fusion

Fusion Empty Pockets

I like Kifaru packs, but I also loved Mountainsmith packs and still have 2 oolllllddd school Day Packs. Many of the Mountainsmith features are built into the Kifaru packs which is why I like them, also a Colorado Company and I work just up the street from their shop, so a bit of hometown favoritism.

I have to agree that Kifaru packs are a bit easier to use vs. Maxpedition. Maxpedition are built ultra bombproof but I have heard many complaints of turning the corners with the zippers on the Jumbo's and other packs can be difficult until they are very broken in. I still have problems with the zipper binding up turning the corner on my Colossus.

That being said I have more Maxpedition than I do Kifaru and my current EDC is the Sitka (Awesome).

18. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

One of the big selling points for me was the modular design of Kifaru gear.

What I carry varies according to whether I am going to work, to town shopping, to provide medical coverage at an event (indoors, outdoors, raining, sunny, in town, out of town etc) or going to meetings.

I like the fact that if I need to I can strap a jacket to the bottom of my x-ray with the provided (removable) straps or put it under the two compression straps.

If I need more space I can attach the medium pod I have.

I will be obtaining a few dock & lock pockets to create "sub-loads" that I can attach as situations dictate.

19. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

And work better. I've loaded up my EMR with over 100 lbs of concrete and blocks and hiked it 8 miles up a trail. And survived. Try that with a Maxpedition anything.

20. tacdrivrnc

tacdrivrnc Loaded Pockets

+1 on Kifaru for hard use anything. I have a Kifaru Gen 1 E&E bag for daily edc stuff and have used it as a day-hike bag when backpacking. It is not the most comfortable due to the thin webbing and no waist belt if you put 10lb of crap and a full 70oz water bladder in it, but it has been drug through, around, and over crap that have shredded other bags. And it is incredibly modular. I do have Maxped organizer pockets attached to it, though. 2 Tactile mediums on the sides and Tactile large on the front, all mounted with malice clips to "box" the E&E bag and make it fillout/stand up. But that has been a recent addition for edc, and I haven't taken it into the woods like that...too bulky with the extra pouches added.
    It really depends on what your intended use is. If just for everyday edc and mostly mild uses, maxped is fine. But if you need something that will take abuse, don't mind spending $$$ and want a military look, then Kifaru fits. However, there are plenty of other manufacturers of gear bags that are better quality than Maxped, not as pricey as Kifaru, and will carry your edc stuff just fine.