1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What 18650's?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Boudreaux, Apr 22, 2017.

1. The Essential Illuminator

The Essential Illuminator Loaded Pockets

I quoted True Talon,he is the one who should be replying, it was his comment.;)

Since you answered for him, can you verify the brand?

Reading his posts he states that EFEST is the ONLY unprotected battery he uses. EFEST is made in China! His could have been a Fake.

Although I have never had a problem when I used them, which was before I switched to and strictly use Samsung,LG,Sony,Panasonic/Sanyo for all my torches..mostly Unprotected High drain cells.

Last edited by The Essential Illuminator, Jul 1, 2017
    #21 The Essential Illuminator, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I'm curious what kind of battery this was, as well. I have a lot of, both, protected, and unprotected batteries, but from reputable sources, and have never had any issues with any of them, venting, catching fire, or anything close. I use high quality smart chargers, and am fanatical about maintaining the batteries, regularly.

3. The Essential Illuminator

The only logical answer would be EFEST. He stated that is the ONLY brand of Unprotected batteries that he uses.

He is the only one who can tell us for sure.Until he responds I can only base the answer on what is in his posts.

Same here,,,never had an issue and I also use quality batteries[Panasonic/Sanyo,Samsung,Sony and LG] and chargers[Opus,KP and my 3 X Fenix ARE-C2 which I have had for 3.5 years]

I am also a fanatic like yourself in maintaining my batteries! I check voltages w/ DMM after charge, before use[after 1,2 3 days rest] and after use. I also keep track of Charge cycles. My Orbtronic 18650 3400 Protected batteries were purchased on 12.21.2012 and have 470 cycles! Dedicated a thread on CPF to them!

EDIT:True Talon has NOT been seen in 9 weeks and 5 days! Maybe we will find out by Labor day!

Last edited by The Essential Illuminator, Jul 2, 2017
    #23 The Essential Illuminator, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  4. NorthernHarrier
    • +1 Supporter

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I just bought two unprotected Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA cells from Liionwholesale. These cells are quality cells that work well in flashlights. Liionwholesale has quality products, excellent prices, and responsive customer service.

I also recently bought the protected version of the same cell from Zebralight. I will use the cells in their flashlights. Zebralight has a method of adding the protection circuit that results in cells that are shorter than many others with protection circuits.

5. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I have a few of these as well - very solid batteries.

6. The Essential Illuminator

:D Jon is a great guy. Great customer service and products.He has gone above and beyond in giving me replacement chargers when the warranty was up, replaced OPUS chargers because I was not satisfied w/ the voltage after charging was complete! He has also given me wholesale prices[the lowest he gets] when I was out of work for some items.

Just got 8 X 30Q from a group buy on BLF a month ago. $5.09 each,,,,,,no shipping for me!

He is my neighbor and I have the luxury of going to the warehouse[1.5 miles] and getting my stuff!

NorthernHarrier likes this.
  7. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

I use unbranded Samsung NCR 18650B from Banggood. I'm not linking because I'm not sure of the rules on this, but I did my research and found them to be genuine. Green wraps, black tops on the protected, green wrap on the unprotected.There is print under the wrap which I thought was dodgy, but it turns out to be a mark of a genuine cell. Banggood don't label them Samsung, but they are, and they're very good. Been using them years now.

The Zebralight SC600 doesn't need to take a protected cell as the torch has inbuilt protection and only needs one cell at a time. I'm confident enough to use them in triples in an Olight, but I do check the battteries 'marry' in terms of charge time and finished voltage after charging. This is more key to safety than protection circuits. My vape is a big hitter for the batteries, way more so than a light, but it's built to take the shortest 18650s I can get, so I use a pair of well married unprotected, keep them topped, check voltage regularly.

Don't run your cells down, keep them active. There's a fallacy about stretching the battery by running it right out then a full charge. With Lithium Ions this is bad advice, keep them charged.

8. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

It depends. If you have a surefire 6P type light with 1x18650, go with an unprotected Panasonic, what's the latest-greatest, it's 3400 mAh and I think 3500 mAh is either here or right around the corner.

If you run a 2x18650 configuration light, go with 'protected' cells from Orbtronic, etc. they are the very same 3400 mAh Panasonic that's the gold standard but with a protection circiuit added.

If you are in a missing critical environment, keep something in mind. Protected cells have 2 problems.

* They cut off suddenly, leaving you in the dark. Imagine yourself in a cave or in dark basement somewhere. You get regulated lumens that stay strong until the very end and then the protection circuit kicks in - not sure at what voltage, maybe 2.5V and you are in total darkness in a nanosecond.

* The protection circuit makes the cell a few MMs longer but more important, more vulnerable to damage - it can suddenly fail. It introduces more variables into the equation.

For the ultimate in reliability, use unprotected 18650 cells in a Surefire 6P-type lights and just recharge them when the light gets dimmer. Or 123 cells which also slowly, gradually decline. But there is nothing wrong with unprotected Panasonics. I've used them for the last 10 years, all generations beginning with 2900 mAh.

jag-engr likes this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Not all Li-Ion chemistries are the same, either. Many people feel that the newer IMR cells do not need a protection circuit.

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

True, they don't 'need' one but it still helps a bit to prevent for example over-discharging in poor applications (tho modern imrs are not that sensitive to this as classic high capacity cells). It's really a case of picking the right cell for the right job. The two greatest tools for handling li-ion cells are still knowledge and care (and probably will be for quite a while).

neo71665 likes this.
  11. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Last set of 18650 was LG HG2 (Brownies as the kids call 'em ) for my Q8.

Good batteries, probably fairly close performance wise with the 30Q. [​IMG]

12. The Essential Illuminator

I have very few protected batteries left. I primarily use 30Q, VTC5A , VTC6 and now VTC5D which according to Mooch[vape world] is slightly better than the VTC5A. I had two HG2 batteries and were not impressed. they degraded faster than the aforementioned batteries that I mentioned[and use] above.Personal preference, I have no further use for them when cells like the VTC5D/VTC5A and 30Q exist. :)

The VTC5D seems to be only available at the time as a Vapcell re wrap.

[​IMG]

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Last set of cells i purchased was half a dozen Sony US18650VTC6. My dyson vacuum now has more life than she ever had XD, 70Wh vs the original 30Wh many many moons ago. I love 18650s ;)

14. tbirdowner86

tbirdowner86 Loaded Pockets

Let me put my very limited knowledge and experience. I am anal. I will admit it. If I install a Kenwood stereo headset, I have to install ALL Kenwood components. It's just me....With that being said, use the batteries that come with the brand. I wanted a 2nd battery. I went aftermarket on my Olight. I bought a Nuon battery at a Batteries Plus store. After a 24 hour charge I put in my flashlight. I couldn't get the 5th level(I have heard it called "turbo") or highest setting. Thought it wasn't fully charged. I put it on for 24 hours more. No change. member said in a different forum said something about it being (un)protected is what causes it. Whatever that means. Then they said that Nuon is known for issues with some high end brand of flashlights.

15. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I am using 18650s from Fenix and Olight. Very good batteries, hold charges well and provide good run times in my Fenix TK15 and TK47UE.