1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What’s your favorite Victorinox EDC knife?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Gasman-Marvin, Sep 21, 2019.

1. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

Lifelong knife collector and enthusiast here. My favourite knives, and the ones I carry most often, are all Victorinox.

With many to choose from, my daily carry is usually one of the following, in no particular order, but circumstances depending. It may change several times throughout the day, based on where I’m going and what I expect to do.

Huntsman (today...so far...!)
    Rambler
    MiniChamp
    Cybertool 34
    Ranger
    Spartan
    Farmer
    Cadet

Others that sometimes get a look-in, some semi-retired due to age or sentimental reasons: old Spartans, Lumberjack Economy, Climber, Camper, Waiter, Pruner, Classic SD. The Hunter, Helmsman and Swiss Tool X don’t get carried often, simply due to UK locking knife laws.

Not complete lists!

Mrs. EMarkM is getting me a standard SwissChamp for Christmas, the first of this model I will have ever owned. Excited!

Last edited by EMarkM, Nov 7, 2019
    #21 EMarkM, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

1. Huntsman
    2. Evogrip 18
    3. Trekker
    4. Pioneer Alox
    5. Cadet

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

Pioneer X and Classic every day,

Leon68 likes this.
  4. Matt E.

Matt E. Empty Pockets

5. Matt E.

Matt E. Empty Pockets

6. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I've had this one since 1968, I'm sure there are a number of Forum members who got one too.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#26 medic68, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  7. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

The last year or so my Pioneer X has gotten the most use. Next up after that would be either my Mountaineer or my Troubleshooter. All of them have dangler clips on the lanyard / keyring attachment.

I have come to appreciate the Executive for dress occasions also. Turns out surprise surprise to be a much more useful set of tools than I used to give it credit for. Back when I was constantly working on computers at my office I used to always carry a Yeoman or a Scientist for the mag glass and inline phillips. I even had several customs made up years ago to give me specific tool combos, but most of those stay home due to sentimental value these days.

8. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Cybertool 41. Carried in my EDC bag, in it's pouch. Used it at home, work, outdoors, in the car, ON the car, all over the place in fact. Got it from the Victorinox store in London, and got all the extra tool inserts they made at the same time - just as well I did, they've discontinued some of those inserts, and replaced the 41 with letter sizes since then. Excellent tool, don't leave home without it ;)

9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Just started carrying the Swiza D04 since it is locking.

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

REAL knives don't belong on a keychain, anyway! :D

medic68 and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

I can't remember what mine is called. I went slightly larger than needed for two reasons, wanted black scales and the little hook on the bottom is so antiquated I had to have it. It is for carrying packages tied up with string. And that is one of my favorite things!

12. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

Black, with the hook and therefore, I’ll speculate, scissors: The Climber, perhaps?

A firm EDC favourite if so.

13. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

Could be other than hook & scissors its just the standard fare of blades, screwdrivers/bottle & can openers. I honestly carry it solely for the scissors which I use to trim the ends on my hand rolled smokes. I then tamp the ends down with my titanium Inchworm. Great knife though.
    Off topicma bit, before they stopped selling stuff (lord knows why?) Option Gray had a SAK in alox that was just a Cadet w/scissors. I am really bad w/namesmso does anyone remember its moniker?-a had said name too much.

14. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

15. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

@Tallboyjim & @EMarkM , I think you are the only ones who give the Mini champ good ratings so far.
    It might be sligtly off topic, but could any you just give some quick insight into why?
    I bought a custom Mini champ from Daviz Black last year. Just wingin' it with no previous experience with the model, and although it's very nicely made and has a nice selection of tools, it seems so tiny and fragile. Can it be used for anything more useful than opening letters and replacing batteries in plastic toys?

16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Certainly :)

The nail file is better that the classic SD and the manager. There’s some rounded tool - I don’t even know what it’s called - which I feel is a better pry tool at an absolute pince. I prefer the pointier knife (orange peeler?) For getting into tight parcels, it’s certainly better than the small spear point of the manger/classic and it scores better too.And yes, that little Phillips has proved a godsend (albeit that’s on a manager that I also own). Designated package opener - for me at least - is helpful. For office/urban stuff it’s quite enough for me, and given the tiny amount of weight increase, scores above a manager if that’s all I’m carrying on my person.

aicolainen likes this.
  17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Thanks, @Tallboyjim !
    I guess I just have to carry it for a while to discover its potential, and see that it actually holds up with some use.
    I do like the way they did the phillips, that is reason enough to give it a try

18. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

The Phillips - like the one on a manager - has been a godsend in my line of work.

aicolainen likes this.
  19. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

A lot of the Vic's run neck-and-neck for favorite position: Evo, Silver Tech, and Alox all vie for 'first-place'. Hard to pick the lead one for post-position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'Huntsman' deserves an 'Honorable Mention' too!

[​IMG]

20. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

I do indeed love the MiniChamp.

In 58mm I own a Classic SD, inherited from my late wife and never carried, a Rambler and the Mini.

If I’m going either Alox or discreet, I’ll take either the Rambler or the Mini along. The current Mrs. EMarkM , myself and whomever I’m with always seem to appreciate the tweezers, toothpick and scissors.

My Mini omits the toothpick to give me tweezers and pen instead.

Whilst the Rambler has all the essentials and is super discreet, if I feel the potential need for a pen, or sometimes just because I fancy it, the Mini comes along instead.

The round-tipped tool mentioned above is officially a cuticle pusher, and does work as such, but is actually a chemist’s spoon. The so-called orange peeler (again, it works) is actually a cut & picker tool, again a chemist’s implement, showing the history of how the tool came to be.

Both tools are useful for myriad other tasks!

Are the knives tough? Ask Jack Knife here on the forum. His wife, like many of us, has done her best to use a 58mm to destruction, and they withstand the test!

For most urban, suburban and even rural use, those tiny blades are often, not always, all you need.

Moshe ben David and aicolainen like this.