1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What’s the best value in the knife world right now?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by rlewpolar, Dec 15, 2021.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Buck and Victorinox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21 dmattaponi, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    garza and ramjet like this.
  2. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

The first thing that came to me when I saw this thread was Victorinox. Currently carrying a Pioneer X and a Buck 110.

ramjet likes this.
  3. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I agree. For me, Mora. Great blades with a comfortable girp and a good sheath for the price of a sandwich.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

ramjet and A.B. like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I owned a lot of models. Eventually got the Garberg. And I like it a lot. But the best one is still the humble Companion. It is a hell of a knife. Cuts like a razor. Easy to sharpen. Only broke one, once. But that was my own fault for hammering it with, you guessed it, a hammer.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

ramjet likes this.
  5. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have just received a Joker Erizo skinning knife with N390, black Micarta and red liners in a beautiful leather sheath. It feels wonderful in the hand with impressive fit and finish and costs less than a Dragonfly. If you are looking for a fixed blade Bushcraft or Scandi style hunting knife then check out Joker knives. Steel is generally Bohler N390 or Sanvik 14C28 stainless. I have a Lynx and another Erizo in Orange with black liners incoming...

rlewpolar likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

Entry level Kershaws are my vote...I have a ton of them and some have seen some harsh abuse. Great designs, built solid, they sharpen easy (cheaper china steel) and look sexy. Ex: Cryo or Emerson licensed.

7. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I'd have to say Crescent Knives. These thing punch WAY above their weight class; cheap (sub $20), sharp, FAST deployment and lightweight. These things are real sleepers![​IMG]

SwampDonkey likes this.
  8. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Buck Small with SV30.

9. rlewpolar

rlewpolar Loaded Pockets

I own a Mora Companion. Recently got it and it feel really good in hand. The thing is, it feels so light and flimsy. Are these really that durable? Haven’t put it to the test yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have owned my Companion about a decade as a truck knife. No durability issues and it is cheap enough no one has wanted to steal the knife.

11. InLine4

InLine4 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    $4.87 at Walmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. InLine4

InLine4 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    $11.84

Nick4305 and garza like this.
  13. OhCanada

OhCanada Loaded Pockets

I agree with SAKS which have maintained their value with price while other brands just keep going up and up. Morakniv are no longer the "$10 knife" but they still maintain value for price.

If you want a folder, the Ontario Rat I and II are excellent value for around $50 and have stayed at that price for a while now. Less is US$.

The best value is always quality brands in new condition for 1/2 the price on the used market.

14. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Empty Pockets

For me it would be the Buck Kingsmsn. You can find on sale for under $20. Small, office friendly, practical and very natural in hand. I go for this blade more than any other I own,

garza likes this.
  15. rlewpolar

rlewpolar Loaded Pockets

I am so impressed with the Joker knives. Recently bought a Joker Ember and now have a Nomad on the way. The price of these with a top quality leather sheath and fire starter is what some leather makers are quoting me for just a sheath. The fit and finish on these knives is truly impressive and looks like they are made by craftsman who really care about their work. I’m buying more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

My orange Erizo arrived with another beautiful sheath. It was promptly commandeered by my wife whom guilted me into making it a gift. They are that good. The Lynx also showed up this time in a Kydex sheath. A capable general purpose fixed blade, similar to my Cudeman MT5. I really have found a great value brand. My next purchase will be an Ember in curly birch. I’ll report back with how it compares with my Helle Scandi knife...
    tbzbbt

17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I buy Mora knives mostly for tasks that tends toward abuse and as stash-knives to keep around in strategic places for just in case use. The price to performance ratio make them ideal for these kind of use cases. Based on my use cases, I tend to opt for the thicker blade stock versions. I have a few Companion HD's for this use, but the big surprise for me is the Mora Robust. Its MSRP is half of the Companion HD, and it's a work horse!
    I also have some of their wood crafting knives, which are also very good value, but for a very specific use, of course.

Though the Mora knives are good enough to be your primary knife for just about any task or activity, maybe it just boils down to simple vanity, but I have to admit I want something with a bit more soul for my outdoor hobbies.

I also want to mention Hultafors. I feel they often disappear in the shadow of Morakniv, but I feel they are an equally good value proposition. I have a Hultafors OK4 as a stash knife in my truck, so I get to beat on it quite regularly, and it's holding up great. I see the MSRP is about EUR 26, but I believe I only paid the NOK equivalent of EUR 18. Great value in my opinion.

Another honorable mention that kind of occupies the same space in regards to price bracket and POU as the mid range Morakniv's and Hultafors's is the Condor Terrasaur.

rlewpolar likes this.
  18. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I like my Schrade knives. Not to pricey and the auto I have had for over 5 years is still going strong!

twin63 likes this.
  19. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

That is an interesting and difficult question which can't be answered right or wrong. Actually it can't be answered at all without a clear definition of "best value", what could be understood in many different ways.

The expensive knife could be the best value when you just buy one, instead of 10 inexpensive knives.
    Socom, not cheap but good value.

[​IMG]

Ok, :censored: mode off (edit: I am not allowed to call myself a s m a r t a s s? censorship is )
    For me best value would be inexpensive but not cheap.
    A knife that can do anything a more expensive one in the same category can do. Something that gives you no reason to buy a more expensive one, beside men's greed

I was looking through the pictures on my phone and from those I have selected some, that I would categorize in that way.

You can't beat the Mora. I paid less than 10 € for mine at a hardware store.

[​IMG]

I carry it in the sheath of the Böker Plus Manaro SM-10.
    I paid around 30 € on a clearance sale for it. Perfect knife (after some little changes) and awesome value . I carry it in a pocket sheath.

[​IMG]

Actually, this is what I meant with greed. I was looking for the same, or a very similar, knife just with a more fancy steel than 440C.
    That would be the only thing I might change, the rest is perfect. But than, it wouldn't be such a good value anymore. And I would hesitate throwing it

[​IMG]

Ganzo G719. A very good automatic knife.
    Costs around 20 $. Like it more than my Protech. Polished the 440C blade a little bit.
    a
    [​IMG]

Sanrenmu 7132 and 7130. Small fixed blades which offer a lot for the money. Around 20-25 $. They have some similarities to my loved Street Beat and come with a good sheath and belt clip.

The small folder is Sanrenmu 704. Talking about best value, this is top notch.
    Got it on sale for almost nothing. Paid between 6 and 8 €

[​IMG]

Last but not least a small selection of knives which have mostly already been mentioned.
    Instead of the Socom above, I could have posted the Endura as well. I don't think that more knife is needed. But wanted

Buck Packlite Skinner has finally to be named. Big little knife. Again, the factory sheath has been replaced.

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Gesendet von meinem SM-G986B mit Tapatalk

#39 Hagbard81, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    rlewpolar likes this.