1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What’s the best value in the knife world right now?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by rlewpolar, Dec 15, 2021.

1. rlewpolar

rlewpolar Loaded Pockets

Who makes the most value packed, high quality knives for a very reasonable cost? After buying 3 SAKs this week, I am going to go with those as my answer. I cannot believe how much value and quality is packed into a $30-$40 SAK.

Let’s hear you opinion and maybe share some of your high quality, low budget knives. I’ll start

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#1 rlewpolar, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    ZMZ67 and dmattaponi like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Mora, Opinel. And Victorinox of course

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

ramjet likes this.
  3. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Joker knives. Especially the fixed blades, Lynx, Ember, Nomad, Bushcrafter.

tbzbbt

ramjet likes this.
  4. rlewpolar

rlewpolar Loaded Pockets

Thanks, never heard of them. They look very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

Victorinox and Mora knives get my vote.

ZMZ67 and ramjet like this.
  6. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Joker, BPS and others found in Amazonia. Are perfect bushcraft outdoorsy knives.
    The victorinox is just like a spare tool box in your pocket.

Problem with swiss army is that you cannot stop at one. Just look at the alox folk. We end up with tons of these! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

microbe likes this.
  7. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I wanna say Manly. The Wasp has a S90V blade and G10 handles and sets you back around 60 bucks.
    I have had mine for quite some time and put it through its paces, even some abuse -- and it's holding up great.

8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Gosh, I'd have to go with the Civivi Elementum folder. D-2 steel, G-10 scales, ceramic ball bearings (lightning fast open), and really well finished and thought out. Tip-up carry. 2.9" blade, and sub-7" OAL. Tight lock up. All that for $44 bucks!

Really solid EDC knife for the money.

[​IMG]

(Even comes with a hard case (?), polishing cloth, sticker and a care booklet).

ETA - Otherwise, I'd have to go with the Benchmade Mini-grip or similar, but these are a much higher price point. Benchmade has always been my EDC...until I added this Civivi to the rotation.

ETA 2 - Regarding opening speed; I think I can probably open this Civivi faster than an auto will open. This thing opens lightning fast with just the flick of a finger!

Last edited by DCBman, Dec 22, 2021
    #8 DCBman, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    twin63 likes this.
  9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Regarding SAK's, they're fun to collect, I have a few of the limited Alox's. Functionally, I'm not sure they fit my EDC needs very well. My main issue with them is they are hard to open and close. I usually need something I can open in a flash with just a finger flip and/or one hand. I don't want to be tying up two hands (usually have something in my other hand anyway, hence the need for the knife). SAK's are probably safer (somehow) due to this, but to me that is a major drawback.

They sure do look purrdy though.

10. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have the Wasp and the bigger folder one with an oval opening hole - whose name escapes me (Peak?) Both in S90V and coloured G10. I got them in an upstairs knife shop in Amsterdam. They have quite stiff action and are razor sharp. They don’t get much use - to be honest the action scares me when opening or closing. I have a Manly Patriot fixed blade in D2 which I particularly like as a value proposition...

tbzbbt

11. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Spydercos and ESEE are now stupidly expensive in Australia, so I am looking for value in other places. I like the Boker fixed blades like Prymate and Rhino, Cold Steel folders such as Airlite , Code4 and Voyager give you good solid tools for not too much cash.

i bought a Ganzo Firebird with carbon look scales. It is a super fast flipper with D2 and cost me 50AUD.

tbzbbt

ran23 and echo victor like this.
  12. hurld8898

hurld8898 Empty Pockets

I just added the Civivi Cogent to my collection. Awesome button lock flipper for the $$. I had intended to dye the Jade scales, but I think I might keep them natural......[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

xevious and ZMZ67 like this.
  13. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Empty Pockets

I just bought another Buck 110. Picked it up at Walmart for $34.95 and was surprised to find it had a leather belt pouch. Also the SAK Super Tinker is a great value. Ive been carrying a 110 since the 70's and then added a SAK in the 80's. With these two on me I feel well equipped.

14. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

When it comes to lightweight pocket size, Victorinox is IMHO absolutely unbeatable. Best price, best-proven tools, and extremely durable.
    Additional price argument: used, popular models like a Spartan are almost free.
    And the Victorinox lifetime guarantee is really crazy! You can send in a Victorinox that has been completely worn out from decades of use, it will be repaired and sent back like new. Unbelievable!

Inexpensive, proven fixed blades: Mora.

I don't really know anything about folders. I had only some from Böker Plus, CRKT and Smith & Wesson and was always disappointed with the poor quality.

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

That's a screamin' deal on the Buck. If we're lucky, we pay 80 euros (about 91 USD right now) + shipping.

Anyway, my vote for the best value in the knife world is Rough Ryder. I got my first few recently and I'll say they're at least the quality of a Case of similar format (I've always been into Stockmans but they have most traditionals) for 1/3 of the price. Great materials, scales have less gap, and they snap better than the Cases I bought lately.

Line Dawg and ramjet like this.
  16. Madstabber

Madstabber Empty Pockets

I’d have to say TwoSun and Civivi for the more budget oriented. For knives made with more premium materials that still pack the value I’d say Bestech and Kansept. Both excel at fit & finish using more premium materials.

17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Value is a complex equation.
    Before even considering the value of one specific knife, one ought to look at how many knives one has vs. how many one actually needs.
    One higher priced knife that checks all your boxes might be better value than 5 "value" knives that almost checks those boxes.

I will agree that Morakniv and Victorinox seem to have good value products, but as far as Morakniv goes, I consider them "stash-knives"/just in case knives or beater knives. When your looking for a more well made carry knife or something with a specific use in mind, you might find yourself in the Garberg price range, and then the competition is more fierce.
    Victorinox, though they offer regular fixed- and folding knives, only their multi tools and kitchen knives really appeal to me, so from my point of view I generally just consider them a multi tool brand. Their plier-less multi tools has no doubt an incredible price to quality ratio, so even if I find their implement combinations somewhat dated, I still find them a good choice for certain types of use.

So, a good value knife for me, is first of all one that I know I need. Need not being defined in absolute terms, but rather as making an identified task/activity carried out easier/better/more enjoyable.
    Materials and price point must be suitable for the intended use. E.g. for salt water endeavors I rather buy one knife in H-1/LC200N/Vanax than a new 12C27 Morakniv every so often. Where risk of loss or damage is the main concern, it will be the opposite conclusion.
    It must (as far as reasonably possible) be responsibly produced with regards to worker health, safety and compensation, environment and IP. Value on my end, should not come at somebody else's expense.
    This last one is tricky, but it basically rules out any Chinese produced knives, simply for lack of transparency. It also rules out some distributors such as Amazon.

I only have two new folding knives planned for 2022; Spyderco Dragonfly 2 wharncliff in k390 and a TRM Neutron 2. Both will be acquired as the result of very careful consideration, and if they work out as I hope, I'll be able to sell two or even more knives from my current selection. Also both companies seem to adhere to a high standard of ethics.

I have no fixed blades planned for 2022, but I have two still incoming that was technically bought in 2021. A Spyderco mule team in magnacut and the TRC knives / DBK bushcraft collab.
    The Mule Teams, though not intended as "one off" user knives, they certainly provide great value in that role.
    I also believe TRC makes good value, quality knives. I initially wanted to try the South Pole model, but availability was an issue. The DBK model came around with perfect timing, and was in some regards even more appealing than the South pole, so I decided to make that my gateway knife to evaluate the brand. Given it's limited production run, it's probably the easiest model to flip with minimal loss if I deem it doesn't justify the price for my use.

I guess my "value" knives are in the higher price bracket value wise, but I don't need very many, they should all last a lifetime, so if I like them, the value is there.

garza and echo victor like this.
  18. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Just as a quick follow up to my last post;

I didn't reach these "conclusions" in a total vacuum. And they're still continuously changing, so they're not conclusions at all, really.
    My 5 year anniversary of joining EDCF is actually coming up in just 4 days. In those five years I've done a ton of misguided acquisitions and found "reasons" to accumulate a lot more knives than I needed. Safe to say I learned the hard way, but also evolved as a person as well as the fact that life moves on; new challenges arise and old solutions become less relevant.
    While acquisitions that become irrelevant for some reason or another isn't particularly advantageous from a financial point of view, they were still a means to develop my preferences. It's hard to put a value on that, but I hardly consider it a net loss.

A.B. likes this.
  19. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Best value to me is gonna have to be buck knives. IMHO the warranty on them, they are easy to find, and priced reasonably puts them at the top of my list.

Not knocking other brands or claiming their warranty is subpar. Heck of the 4 knives I carry daily none are even a buck (yet, custom 110 in the works).

garza and dmattaponi like this.
  20. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

The Manlys break in nicely. You can loosen the screw a little bit to make them go easier. I EDC'ed a Wasp for about a year and this one opens and closes easily, those sharp clicks on the way become gentle bumps.