1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wharncliffe/Cleaver style folder recommendation?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by TJ S., Dec 24, 2016.

1. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

New knife bug bit me hard this year - I'm eyeballing the Spyderco Yojimbo2 right now, but I'm not totally sold. It'll be an EDC knife, mostly boxes and small cutting tasks around the shop but defensive use is a consideration as well. Budget up to $200. Wharncliffe might not be the right blade for the job, but I'm really looking for something in that style - love the looks.

Any suggestions from you fine folks?

Biolabob likes this.
  2. heck333
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

I find that wharncliffe type blades work best, for me, as a do-it-all utility blade at work. I carry a Yojimbo2 regularly, or a ZT 0808, if I want to change it up.

Greg

TJ S. likes this.
  3. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Any issues with the Yo getting hung up in your pocket? It looks a little wider than I'm used to.

4. HiCap1

HiCap1 Loaded Pockets

None at all. Note how the grip is tapered. Hand and stuff goes into the pocket easily when the knife is clipped to the pocket. Me, I never use the clip.

HiCap

TJ S. likes this.
  5. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Appreciate the info. Unless something else pops up, I'll be grabbing that one.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I almost bought one of these. A lot of the reviewers said they use it as an upscale boxcutter. You might also be interested to know that the knife was designed by a guy who is heavily into self-defense; wish I could remember his name but I confess I forget. Most comments were that his knife was in fact optimized for self-defense.

I ultimately did not buy it because for my general knife use I prefer to have something with some belly for cutting and slicing; the Yojimbo 2 really has no belly. Ended up with an Endura ss with a saber grind. Like it a lot. Just waiting on the release sometime this year of the PM 3...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

TJ S. likes this.
  7. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

The designer is Michael Janich from Martial Blade Concepts. Thanks for the insights - I'm going out tomorrow to put my hands on some knives, but unfortunately I don't think I'll find the Yo locally to play with.

8. woolfam

woolfam Loaded Pockets

I have a Spyderco Centofante 4. I believe they're no longer made. I love the look of a Wharncliffe blade and find that they excel at opening packages / cutting cardboard / etc.

What I've found they are not good at is cutting anything on a surface - like on a cutting board. You cannot chop with one, because your fingers do not allow you to get the blade fully flat to the surface. And if you use one to slice things - like on a cutting board - the tip dulls before the rest of the blade, and you can end up with a rounded tip.

Consequently, I've found that even though I really like the knife, I do not carry it as often as I do one with some belly to the blade.

9. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the advice, folks. Skipped on the Wharnie for now and went with a more all purpose EDC - Paramilitary 2 is on the way based on the overwhelming amount of people that think its the best choice. I'll be revisiting the Yo2 or something similar down the line.

10. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Don't forget that 2 is 1 plus it's just fun owning multiple knives!

SV-97 and TJ S. like this.
  11. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Absolutely. I've always got at least one on me with a couple more in the bag.

Gary Gross likes this.
  12. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

I have a couple Spyderco Yojimbo 2's and they function well as a Wharncliffe. I set one up for right hand carry and the other for left. For lefties, the compression lock may be a pain to release. Recently, I also bought a couple Kershaw Leeks, one with aluminum scales and a liner lock and the other is the stainless steel frame lock. The Leek cost less that the Yojimbo 2 is is more practical as an EDC. Both the Yojimbo and Leek have very sharp and fragile points and you need to be careful in usage and in not dropping them on a hard floor, such as concrete.

Spyderco says they will be making the Delica with a Wharncliffe blade.

Also, when you consider actual usage, sometimes the best box cutter is a box cutter; I strop those disposable blades and I do not fret about using them.

Moshe ben David and TJ S. like this.
  13. Biolabob

Biolabob Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Got the Yojimbo for xmas this year. It's a keeper but not my fave. No lanyard hole. It's wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffoutlaw76, Nick4305 and TJ S. like this.
  14. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Paramilitary 2 came in yesterday - I'm impressed. Its pretty tight out of the box but other than that, I dig it.

Ippon likes this.
  15. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

A Benchmade (Mini) Griptilian with the sheepsfoot blade may be an alternative. On the other hand I don't know if the blade style is close enough for you or if you really want a totally straight cutting edge.

[​IMG]
    (picture linked from benchmade homepage)

16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Until today I'd forgotten that I have a small Wharncliffe style folder. Cold Steel Tuff Lite; available in either PE or SE. Mine is the SE. Compact; reasonably priced; nice solid lock. For me at least, ergonomically very comfortable! Also comfortable in the pocket.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Water-Rat likes this.
  18. Navitimer1884

Navitimer1884 Empty Pockets

Have you considered the Brous Silent Soldier flippers? Beautiful knives and uniquely designed.

19. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

The Brous are awesome little knives but 3" is a bit short for me. The Yo2 was pushing it as far as minimum blade length, that was the final determining factor in ending up with the Para2.

20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Hmm... how about a Spyderco Kiwi 4? It looks pretty neat for a Wharncliffe, but the price has kept me away. They just discontinued it, but it seems most places still have it in stock.