1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wet Weather Clothing

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by ManVsLawn, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

If any of you know me, I'm a lawn ape. I do landscaping, rain or shine.

I need a good pair of rain pants. Maybe a rain suit, if the price is right.

I have a nice windbreaker/rain jacket (Columbia? garage sale find, 6$ brand new)....

But I really need some rain/wet weather 'lowers'. Bottoms. Pants. Leggings. That kinda deal.

They need to go over my baggies/swim trunk type shorts, over my socks, and preferably over my boots. Some sort of half legged zipping method, or buttons may be ideal.

It doesn't have to keep my perfectly dry through a monsoon, just keep most of my lower body mostly dry while mowing, edging, etc.

My biggest issue is durability, coupled with breathability. I do manual labor and need something that 'breathes' as best as a water-proof material can breathe.

Here is a sample picture. This is not me, and I stole'd the pic for reference.

[​IMG]

I don't care if it looks as doofy as this guy. Style was never my strong point.

Usually, with my big hat, and my rain coat, I just tough it out, shiver a bit, and get over it. After a while, though, my boots are soaked and work is miserable.:cold:

This needs to be fixed.

I'm 6ft1, about 195lbs, and I wear a 34 waist.... No XXXXL /XSmall stuff needed.

Suggestions are, of course, welcomed. I would like to stay in the 20-50$ range. It needs to be of decent durability, as I deal with sharp, hot, rough stuff for a living.

Again, I stress breathability - ability for my heat to escape. Just trying to get a feel for what is out there. I know a lot of EDCForums is clothing/bags, and I'm barely getting into that section, so don't blow me away with too much information. :frantic:

For reference, I saw a full rain suit at wally world for 20$. It was one of those 'camping' brands I'm sure you'd recognize. Heck, if those are decent, I'd try those. but what I really need is lowers, leggings, or below waist rain coverage.

Thanks a million, people. I am budget minded, so work with me!

hal_chase and powerring like this.
  2. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I suggest going on the Bay and searching for gore-tex pants or trousers. They will be in camo though. This time of year is difficult because the demand is high in the winter, but you may get lucky and win an auction for less than $50. You should be able to fit a medium regular.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Whatever you do, make sure they go over your boots. Otherwise the water will just run straight into your shoes.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

Only thing I can think of is rain chaps. They cover the legs but leaves the crotch "uncovered" to breath. DonĀ“t know if they can be found with gore-tex.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

From many many years of fishing and cycling i can say that the only stuff that actually works for me in rain is Gore-tex. It's the only clothing that really keeps you dry even if you are out in heavy rain for many hours. There are some other fabrics that will keep you dry from the outside but you will be sweating like a pig in it and drown in your sweat. :cold:
    I spent quite a lot of money on cheap rain gear until i finally got everything made from gore-tex.

MinistryOfTruth, Lou_G and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. ManVsLawn

I was experiencing this with my jacket. I was dry up top, but it all drained down below. Appreciate the extra info!

As for everyone else, I see GoreTex GoreTex.... I will start researching them soon. Highly appreciated, you all are, Forumites!

7. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Are you serious or trolling?

Nighted, ManVsLawn and kikaida like this.
  8. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I love my Frogg Togg rainsuit. Very comfortable, even on hot days. But my uses are mainly watching sporting events, hunting, and fishing. Pretty stationary tasks. I don't think they would be durable enough for what you are looking for. They aren't very expensive though, so even if you went through a couple pairs a year, you still aren't spending Helly Hansen money.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

If you shop around a little you'll find a set of ultra-lite frogg toggs for less then 20 bucks. That's what I use. I work around a golf course in Clearwater and they work for me. Put a couple sets in the back of your truck for rainy days. The only Gortex I have are my boots. It's a must for dry feet.

Last edited by wazu013, Dec 15, 2014
    ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

Sorry fellas, I find that Gore-tex breathability isn't all it's cracked up to be. Condensation is always a big problem and I've used single, double and triple layer Gore-tex garments. If you're static it's OK, but if you sweat a lot during physical activity you might find them uncomfortable. Some people swear by it, I swear when I'm in it although I like Herman's idea of rain chaps to combat the overheating problem. Gore-tex gaiters together with a poncho - enabling air circulation is a more effective combination but probably not suitable for your activities.

More helpfully, however, I can recommend Sealskinz socks. They have a merino lining and a Gore-tex outer layer so even if your boots get soaked, your feet stay dry. Again, army surplus versions are much cheaper.

ManVsLawn and goosefacer like this.
  11. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Poncho is probably not a good idea when working around things like rotating blades and maybe exposed drive belts. Just sayin'.

Gaiters might be nice, especially when working the weed-whacker.

ManVsLawn and survivorman like this.
  12. ManVsLawn

I was serious. I did not expect this type of clothing to be so expensive, since in my first post, I specifically noted I was new to the "EDC clothing" scene..

13. ManVsLawn

ghuns wazu013 - thank you for the 'cheaper' alternative. These may be an option. They won't see super heavy, daily usage, but I'd like them to last a season or two.

comeonbabylightmyfire - I was worried about this, with the gore tex.

I move, my job is movement. So maybe goretex is out because it is simply heavier, more expensive? I may try the Frog Toggs. Wazu seems to do work akin to mine, so maybe he knows whats up! ;)

wazu013 likes this.
  14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Rarely is something durable also inexpensive.

If you're willing to pony up $200 for something with a lifetime warranty that will take a LOT of abuse, check out the Arc'Teryx Gamma LT pants.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. ManVsLawn

I appreciate the high-end suggestion.

I agree, for the most part, but occasionally, there is a 'budget' item that is 'almost' as good....

For example, a Mora knife is 'budget', and most would agree it is 'almost' as good as many high end, expensive knives. Maybe better, due to price point and availability.

This is the 'target' for which I aim, in regards to the wet weather clothing. I should have been more specific, so as not to lead others to believe I was 'trolling.'

16. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I'm with Mudinyeri on this one. For ~$200 you could get a high quality breathable jacket and very durable bib style pant.

Helly Hansen would be my person suggestion, for what it's worth.

I used to work up north...WAY up north where you do not want to skimp on work wear...unless you like peeling toes off at the end of the day.
    There's really no such thing as a budget steel toe in such a case. I'm sure there is no such budget deal for rain gear when you're hacking up a lung with pneumonia either. Suddenly you're missing work and losing money.

17. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I used a FrogToggs rain jacket and pants while riding my motorcycle in downpours out west; worked well until I washed them.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  18. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

Nothing cheap is very breathable. Nothing breathable is very durable or affordable. At least not durable enough for landscaping type labor.

Gortex is one of the few fabrics that won't leaving you feeling like you are wearing a plastic bag.

A poncho style upper garment would be an affordable compromise that would keep you somewhat dry but avoid perspiration buildup.

19. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

For sure we do the same work. Florida is different than the rest of the country. Protection from the cold isn't a factor. You want to stay as light as possible. Most Gortex rainwear has an extra liner that just makes it to warm. With Frogg Toggs you don't have that. I just beat them into submission. It usually takes a rainy season or two. I cut one set into shorts and short sleeves for the 98 degree days of rain. Just hose them off if needed. They come in a pack sack made with the same material. I pack food in them when I go fishing.
    I also wear New Balance 703's and 978's which have Gortex. I slop through everything and stay dry.
    Google Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite 2 :)

Last edited by wazu013, Dec 16, 2014
    ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. ManVsLawn

wazu013 - thanks for 'picking up what I was putting down'....

I like New Balance for off-work shoes, but I'm gonna look into the 703's and 978's for lighter days. I usually wear Red Wing 6 inch waterproofs. They have saved my ankles from snapping more times than I can count. (which isn't very high, I did only graduate from UCF)

The Frogg Toggs UL 2's are in my watch list on the bay. I just need to pick a nice (fun!) color; later I will search for some orange ones. :cool:

@ everyone else that suggested Gore Tex - I will look into these for a more permanent/heavier solution. But spending 200$ of a rain suit, unless I live in the Amazon, or some wintery place filled with sleet/snow, I do not need this suit. Like Wazu said... 98* days of rain. Only for a month or two does it get 'chilly', but rarely freezing/frigid. Thank you.