1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

West Africa bound!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by deeker, Feb 26, 2016.

1. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

My wife and I are going to be taking our three boys on a wee bit of an adventure. We're going to volunteer at a mission hospital in West Africa for a six-month stint. We're leaving mid-April.

The hospital is the 2nd busiest in the country, performing around 600 baby deliveries and 2200 surgeries annually. It's a referral hospital for a very large region, including the countries on either side of it. They see between 80-100 people daily in the clinic. The hospital runs 24/7 and has 50 ward beds.

We hope to not only volunteer there, but to be able to explore the surrounding area and countries. We'll also be making a trip to Kenya for a couple of weeks at the end of our time on the continent before flying home.

Although the rather 'spartan' living conditions provide rather sketchy internet connections I will still be able to maintain some contact. If you don't mind some weird and wonderful pictures of people, places and scenery (as well as some usual and unusual EDC gear) I will try to post what's going on with us.
    We have a few loose ends to tie up before we depart. At this point we have a comfortable amount of time... but things never stay that way for long, and Africa has a way of altering the best laid plans - for better or worse!

[​IMG]

West African EDC - water basin, baby, small adze...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Daniel T

Daniel T Loaded Pockets

Have fun, I'm in my third year here...

Dan

3. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

Sounds great not somewhere I've been. I do know the people love to have a gift. I was on safari in Kenya years ago and a Welsh couple, she was a teacher, brought clicky pens and wee spiral bound notebooks as gifts. Adults and kids went mad for them. I was staying in a hotel in Mombasa and before the days of Kindle ran out of books having to buy some locally. I put the read ones by the bin for the lad that cleaned the rooms. When we got back to our room he was waiting for us at the door. He asked if I could write him a letter confirming I was ok with him taking the books. Whether he read or sold them I know he benefitted from them in some way. I know you will be on a different journey but a small gift can really help break the ice. Good luck, it'll be a great family experience.

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  4. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

That's some great advice. I don't think I had heard that before. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

5. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I don't think I want the locals expecting hand-outs for the six months we will be there for... but I do understand where you are coming from. There are times where gifts can be (both or either) appropriate or expedient.