1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Well, if this is how it's going to be, I don't think I can continue to be a part of it.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by T.H.Cone, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Who saw the title and thought I was storming off?

1. I did

13.9%
  2. I didn't

47.2%
  3. I didn't, but I was hoping for a miracle

38.9%
  1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

LOL, how many of you were hoping I'd be renouncing my EDCF membership in this thread?

Sorry to disappoint.

Last month, I railed against the new HD electric motorcycle that was highlighted in the then new issue of Cycle World.

I've just recently been able to calm myself down enough to pick up the just delivered current issue of Cycle World and what do I see? Polaris is coming out with a side-by-side three-wheeler that is even more ridiculous than those three-wheeled snowmobiles that middle aged women with new MC licenses wave at me from.

It's called the Slingshot and I can't believe what I'm seeing. It's even got seat belts.:eek:

I'm at a loss for words. If this is modern motorcycling, then I want no part of it.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Aug 29, 2014
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I just looked it up. I'll wait for the one with side air bags:rolleyes:

4. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

Well safety is the most important priority and Polaris are making sure that nobody files a lawsuit against them for lack of safety.
    I mean if you can get hurt on a 3 wheeler , with the helmet AND the safety belt , then you must be on Superhuman Showdown.

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Next they post Government Warning stickers.

"SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Dying in a three wheeler crash may be hazardous to your health"

ManVsLawn, Lou_G, swany66675 and 6 others like this.
  6. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

Especially when it does not have a roll cage and doors :eek:

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I came by to see who hacked your account. :p

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Actually, I wouldn't mind trying one of those for a day, especially on some nice mountain twisties like they show in the vids. You're practically sitting on the pavement, so no matter how fast you're going it feels like you're breaking the sound barrier. Wouldn't own one. Doesn't look like something you'd use to commute to work in or run to the grocery store with, so it wouldn't be very practical.

This is from a Forbes article: "But the 2015 Polaris Slingshot is not a car. It is a three-wheeled motorcycle."

No it's not! Quit calling it that. It's a freakin' 3-wheel car, you moron!

:)

If that's a motorcycle, this is a bicycle:

[​IMG]

Got a guy at work that commutes in on (in?) one of these. It weighs 150 lbs. and takes up as much space as a compact car. If he takes the bike paths, I'm sure everyone else is just thrilled. Even on roads he likely can't keep up with traffic and would be a pain to pass. Good thing we work different hours.

Last edited by Blackheart, Aug 29, 2014
    Lou_G, scbubba, swany66675 and 3 others like this.
  9. Blackheart

Not to change the subject, but since we're speaking of motorcycles...

On the way home yesterday, I passed a guy on a motorcycle (yes, I can say with absolute certainty that it was a motorcycle) the likes of which I'd never seen before. It was set up like a tourer with the back seat and all, it had full body work, and I could see a Harley double-thumper poking out of the plastic here and there. It must have been custom, but it looked slick (refined?) enough that I'm tempted to say it must be production. The bodywork was the weird part. It was painted stark white and was all swoopy (that's right, swoopy). Lots of broad curves and the back end narrowed in with some futuristic-looking treatment for the tail-lights.

It really kinda' looked like the guy was riding a giant swan (I kid you not). There's no way I'd be caught dead on such a thing.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

10. T.H.Cone

You had me at hello.:D

I read those first five words, stopped, laughed loud enough that Mrs. Cone asked what was so funny, and then read the rest.

Probably some kind of bagger. They're almost as bad as a three-wheeler. I blame Arlen Ness.

11. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

If it's got 3 wheels, it not a motorcycle.

12. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

For various reasons my best friend and riding partner of 38 years isn't able to ride with me anymore. I've looked at three wheelers and sidecar rigs but they just aren't our style. Maybe if I sell all the bikes and hold up a liquor store or two we can manage the price of an Ariel Atom two seater minimal body work and all about performance.

U

microbe, Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  13. T.H.Cone

Scott, there are very good reasons why someone might go to a three-wheeled system, little kids or a disability, for instance. My mocking isn't directed at those people. I hope you didn't take offense.

I've spent a fair amount of time on a Triumph Thruxton with an aftermarket sidecar and a Ural, which obviously has a factory sidecar. The Ural, especially, is a fun ride. My sons spent many hours in a sidecar and you can still have fun and make memories and I hope you and your riding partner somehow find a way to make more memories of your own.

When they were really little, their tiny little helmets barely protruded over the top of the deck and we would get lots of looks and thumbs up for all sorts of people. It seemed like people couldn't help but smile if we were next to them at a stoplight or something. Then they probably wondered what sort of person puts a little kid in a side car.

[​IMG]

Lou_G, swany66675, thePlumbah and 4 others like this.
  14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Honestly, I'm not surprised... just look at what that industry did to 4 wheelers/atvs... side by sides with 4 seats,SEAT BELTS, DOORS and HEATERS, full cage, motors and widths bigger than some jeeps/SUVs I swear!

Modern Motorcycling lost a lot of my faith with the death of the kick starter. From here on out its probably all down hill. Yes, I love my electric starters, but No kickstarter at all on a bike is just so asinine. Its about as dumb as if they put automatic transmissions or power steering on bikes or ATVs. Oh... Yeah. nevermind.. :rolleyes_revamped::cry:

Which is ironic as anything can be, since off road 3 wheelers have been illegal to manufacture and sell for 30+ years because they were so dangerous, since 3 wheeled vehicles are so easy to flip over... ;) :rolleyes_revamped::rofl:

15. Blackheart

You know, I just looked at the prices for the Slingshot. Base model is $20K, SL model is $24K. :eek:

Don't know what I was expecting... Twenty-four kilobucks for a car, meh.

Insurance could be entertaining.

swany66675 and T.H.Cone like this.
  16. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

As a Harley rider the electric motorcycle doesn't bother me. In fact I'm intrigued by it. Do I want one? No, but I think the goal is to learn how to make bikes more efficient and I'm all about using technology to make motorcycles better. I believe this electric motorcycle trend will result in better battery efficiency and the development of stronger lightweight materials to be used in bikes.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  17. T.H.Cone

There may be a South Park Episode (13, e12) with your name on it, DC.:p

swany66675 and dcmassena like this.
  18. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

haha...whatever. Loud pipes save lives...am I right? LOL.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  19. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I, for one, love the slingshot. I can see your perspective coming from a motorcyclist stance. I am coming from a car enthusiast stance. For about 20G I can get a sporty vehicle that I can register as a motorcycle and pay motorcycle insurance. I will not ride a motorcycle where I live, but I would drive one of those! I think of it as a spiritual successor to a Morgan 3 wheeler, not a bike for fat guys. And I have always had a thing for vehicles such as the Morgan, Aerial Atom, T-Rex, BAC Mono, Lotus 7 etc.

To each his own!

20. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

To me the slide started when they utilised chains to drive the rear wheel,,,,, they are brutal ugly things,, uncompromising and they demonise the machinery. Shaft drive is characterless and modern belt drives are totally lacking in any sort of grace

swany66675 and hal_chase like this.