1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

well i think i might of scared some of my family members

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Tango 191, Sep 13, 2009.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

My wife is an anti knife-er. Early in our relationship, her mother asked for a knife to open a package. I pulled out a Spyderco Delica (!!!), and she asked "why are you carrying such a big knife?" When I asked why she asked, she responded that it's "scary."
    That night she was cooking dinner, pulled a 10" chef's out of the block and I fully dove across the kitchen island screaming, hiding under the kitchen table. She freaked out, ran over, yelling "Oh my God, what? WHat happened?"
    I stuttered in terror....pointing at the foul implement in her hand "you have a nnn--nnn----knife!!!!"

She hasn't questioned me TOO much since.

2. AJ Dual

AJ Dual Loaded Pockets

I have a bad habit of snapping out my Emerson/Benchmade Super CQC-7 under gravity and handing it to the person who "needed a knife" without actually looking at them, while continuing another converstation with someone else, eating, or doing whatever, and pretending to not notice them going... :shocked:

:lolhammer:

What do I care? It's not as if I'm "out of the will" if family freaks a little... If you don't telegraph any shame or sheepishness at having a knife, people are less likely to find an opening to criticize you for it.

Granted, being an overweight suburban milquetoast IT wage-slave and father of four helps, but the incongruity of it all just makes it better. ;D

[​IMG]

Even better is when the person who has no clue how to operate a frame-lock has to hand it back to me and let me know they can't figure out how to close it. :laugh:

3. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

hahahahahahahaha good job O0

4. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

look im 18, im pretty sure i have used my discretion positively on many occasions ( no criminal record ect.) i also haven't had any really bad reactions from anyone before just he occasional glance, when im asked for a knife i first look who is asking and if i trust them or what not, second i had no idea that anyone was gonna react negatively, nor do i think that it affected my relationship with my family, at least i hope not.
    In response to your points:

Do not offer to let someone use a pocket knife if:
    - you think they may react negatively- I had no idea they were anti knife
    - you think they may cut themselves- person i gave it to was 50+ pretty sure they know how to use a knife
    - you think it is not the right tool for the job- They asked for a knife so.......
    - you think they may flick it around and behave foolishly with it- like i said before in previous post they were 50+ they have common sense or at lease i hope so

also i have not decided what is "right" and "not right", i decide on how i should react when the situation calls for me to react i.e. i was directly asked for a knife so i produced a knife

5. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

As the 'gunner' in the family I took a lot of heat (and still do, but don't care).....until the Rodney King riots broke out, and all of a sudden my extended family members wanted to borrow firearms...

Of course they never wanted to train with them.

Too bad I was out of town and couldn't help them.

6. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I've thought about doing that :)
    but.....my common sense got the better of me ;D

7. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I also had the habit when i carried a much smaller knife to do the same, just flick it out hand it over and them looking at me with a puzzled look because they didnt know where the "button" was to close it.....i was a liner lock ;D, anyway this event has not shamed me at all that i carry a knife it just made the rest of the day a little uncomfortable :(

8. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

jag-engr: With respect, but I disagree. No one should feel the need to go over the top to make the world seem to be what someone else would like it to be, and to be worried about someone's knife phobia when asked for a knife is just that. I don't encourage aggressive knife behaviour and the OP wasn't behaving aggressively either, but if someone asks for a knife, they need to be able to deal with seeing one.

Also I don't think it's a good policy to try to make the world like anti-knife-freaks want to have it, because that is assuring them that they are "right". Obviously, there are situations where you should lie low to avoid trouble, depending on the people around; but a family outing is not such a situation at all.

If good relations with family members are based on the condition that I do what they think is best, there just is no basis for good relations, and I don't think that's my fault in that case. He wasn't showing off his knife, which one might consider inappropriate if one doesn't know the view that people present have on knives - he was asked for it! To me that almost looks like someone trying to find out if there's anyone around who they can criticize for having a knife.

I also most certainly won't spend money on and carry an additional pocket knife that I don't need just to make anti knife freaks feel more comfortable!

By the way, this is not an age related issue at all.

smokelaw1: Genious!!!

Cheers,

Matt

9. knestle

knestle Banned

Yeah! What he said. :highfive: O0

10. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Wellsaid !!! :) :)
    Thanks!!! :) :)

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I think I initially misjudged the OP. Usually posts of this sort take the tone of "how dare the :censored: question my right to carry as big of pocketknife as I want - stupid :censored:". Usually it's a younger member with something of a superior attitude. I initially thought this thread was going to go the same direction.

However, I still stand by my advice to ask, "What do you need it for?" That can give a lot of incite into how they view knives and if they have any business using your knife.

I agree and firmly believe that every opportunity to help people see knives as everyday tools should be taken, if appropriate. It's just that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Or maybe just a knee-jerk reaction to the social & government doctrine that all knives are evil weapons of brutal death.

Human beings feel compelled to comment on things, even things they know little or nothing about. When they see anything out of the ordinary, they comment. Most people think of their grandpa's slipjoint or an SAK when they ask for a pocketknife. When they see something else, their mind searches for what they know about knives and defaults to the "fact" that knives are "evil weapons of brutal death", since that is what they have been told. In a group, it only gets worse. People tend to follow a negative or fearful argument quicker than a new argument. If one person yells "fire" and one yells "false alarm", people are going to act like there's a fire.

12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

* Interestingly, the software edited out a commonly used combination of the words "sheep" and "people", likely due to the negative condescending context in which it is usually used.

13. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

jag-engr, no worries, hope you didn't see my post as personal criticism. Also it seems that we don't have that different views on the subject at all.

To ask "what do you need a knife for" is indeed a good idea, even though I think that for reasons partially different from yours: To find out if they are going to ruin my knife by using it as a screwdriver or breacher bar, or if they are likely to hurt themselves.

I like your expression "evil weapon of brutal death". In fact I like it so much that I might occasionally replace the word knife with it for educational purposes, e.g. in a restaurant setting. It really highlights the ridiculousness of the whole knife fear craze.

I sometimes wonder what the world will look like in these kind of regards in a few decades from now. I guess we'll see...

Cheers,

Matt

14. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Just to throw another two pennies into the discussion, I always ask a borrower what the knife is to be used for. Four years ago, when I started up at the job I'm currently at, I had a Mini-Covert and then my Wave knife blade both snapped off by stupid people at work. I lent them out without a care, and got them back in parts. The real pain was when I had to replace them, as the stupid people refused to cover the costs of their stupidity. My tools got broken being used improperly, and I know better than to do that. Needless to say, those people never received help or usage of my stuff again.

It's not like I'm being nasty about it. People that I know for sure that won't abuse my things will get usage without comment, and people that I'm less sure about will get usage that I approve of with a spot of advice. People that are about to do something stupid or have abused/made fun of my EDC gear get bupkis.

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Thank you - I thought of it myself. ;D

16. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

It's a fair bet that people who do not regularly carry their own knives will not appreciate or respect the expensive, good quality knife they are asking to borrow off you, neither will they be aware of the damage they may do to the knife or themselves or whatever is in close proximity to the blade because it is so sharp and they lack the skill and/or the experience to use it.
    I no longer lend any locking knife to anyone who is possibly unaware of how to close it, I have lost count of the number of non- knife people (NKP) who have wrapped their fingers around one of my shaving sharp blades in an attempt to close it without looking at the thing first.Warning most people seems to have no effect so to any apparent NKP I offer to do the cutting for them.

17. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

If no one here has never been to NJ then they wouldnt understand. NJ folks have been programmed to think all weapons are evil.

18. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Thats why i specified the state.

19. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i thought camden nj was the most dangerous city in america at one time or still today and baltimore is the most murderous?

20. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Phobias (including gun phobias) are by definition irrational...