1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

well i think i might of scared some of my family members

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Tango 191, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

well i was at a family outing( in florida) with some aunts and uncles and cousins from out of state(NJ) and their was a joke made that they need a knife for some stupid thing ( i forgot the context) and my aunt catches my eye and asks do you got a knife, i say well....she responds you got your swiss army knife or something, i reply: something a little bigger than that a wiped out my Benchmade 710 that was cliped to my pocket everyone froze in their tracks and just stared :shocked: :shocked:.....my mom made a comment how i use it for my job (not employed/ full time student ) to justify it (both my parents knew i carried a knife among other things)but my father flipped out(saying it wasn't legal.... acting like he has extensive legal knowledge..... i set him straight about the legal issue....i know alot about the law ) to react like he had no idea in front of family because their BIG anti knife/gun freaks which i didn't know at the time :shrug:(woops) so the rest of the day couldn't be more awkward getting little glances at my pocket ect

i was wondering if anybody else had any of the same experience id like to hear them :)

2. knestle

knestle Banned

I still cannot understand why a woman who has NO reaction to a 10-12" kitchen knife would freak out when a man takes a 6-7" knife out of his pocket. :(

3. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

i agree with you 100% i didn't even take it out fast like i normally would it was a hand over type of thing after slowly opening it :(

4. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

At my pizza shop, we got quite a few 24" rocker knives for cutting the pizzas. Yet, I still the looks when I pull out my LM wave.

5. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

That does seem odd, a Wave is just a boy scout knife with a few improvements.

6. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I have some kids who work for me that live in an upscale part of the town. They have different perceived ideas over what is socially acceptable.

7. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

i get what your saying but still my entire family knows that im harmless..... im studying to become a police officer.... upscale or not she was asking for a knife so i didnt know she wasent expecting to see a knife

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I carry a SAK with me for situations like this, besides it's really useful.

9. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I think she would react even worse if the man took a 10"-12" kitchen knife out of his pocket... ;)

10. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

you shouldnt feel awkward about someone else's(even family) unpreparedness! remember it was them that asked you for a knife! and if they feel its to big or to military/tacticool looking thats there problem! cause we all know when the poo hits the fan e.d.c.ers are royalty among any class of ppl!

11. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I carry a SAK in addition to a larger folder, just to avoid this type of problem when I'm out with the wife. I don't care about the comments or stares but it bothers her.
    You have to remember there are way too many people who because of various circumstances view knives in a bad light. A kitchen knife in the kitchen won't bother them because its SUPPOSED to be there. They have seen them all their lives and used them there. Nevermind that the majority of assaults with a deadly weapon when its a knife is actually a kitchen knife, they just won't see it that way. A pocket knife however, esp. a more tactical looking one will scare them. Big media portrays this knife as being used by three types of people. LEO, military and criminals. If you aren't the first two, you become the latter by default and will subconsciously trigger a fear response. Intellectuals and radical free thinkers also tend to fall into this category. We are "evolved beings", violence is never justified. Meaningful dialog and discussion can resolve violent encounters, barring that, just do what the "neanderthal thug" wants and you will be fine. Too many people never bother to look 5 miniutes ahead of them and think "I may need a knife at some point" because they live a charmed existance and nothing bad ever happens to them, just others. And I'm not just talking self defence here, I'm talking in general.

12. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Too bad you weren't carrying a (legal) firearm to really give them something to talk about.

13. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

im my car i was :)

14. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

the other two knives that i would of had on me is on my leatherman wave and keychain which i left in the car sooo....

15. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Lately, when somebody asks for a knife I pass them my Skeletool, it seems to be even less `knifey┬┤than my SAK to some of the wetter people I meet .

16. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi,

how much more schizophrenic can it get?

Sorry, but if someone asks me for a knife, I give them a knife, and if they then can't deal with seeing a knife, that's entirely their own problem - family or not.

Tough if that results in trouble in the family, but that one's definitely not on you. Don't let anyone guilt trip you for doing something that is perfectly reasonable and even legal!

And: Stay friendly and calm, use good reasoning and make it clear to them that you're not the one causing the problem. Don't let them get away feeling all "clean and white" and good about themselves.

Cheers,

Matt

PS: It's quite interesting in itself that someone who's an anti knife person doesn't carry a knife but then asks around for one when they need one, too. Maybe point that out to them...

PPS: Next time you meet, how about sticking something really bulky, e.g. a case for sunglasses or whatever, into the same pocket and enjoy their glances? :evilgrin:

17. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

If you live in Florida purchase a switch blade and go nuts.

Family or not giving you troubles about something as small as a knife i think is ridiculous (probably because i get the same guff from my family)
    long story short dont worry about it.

18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Tango 191,

Someone posts something like this every couple of weeks, and it's usually a younger member. They are completely shocked that someone would dare to question something that they have decided is just fine.

Granted, you are legally allowed to carry a BM 710 in Florida. However, maintaining good relationships with family members is more important than making sure that they know that you have a knife and that it is your right to have a knife. Hopefully, in a few years, you will learn that discretion is the better part of valor.

Perhaps you could get a small SAK as some members have suggested. Or perhaps gift some Victorinox SAKs to family members over time. Then they will come to appreciate the value of having a good knife and more accustomed to pocket knives.

Even then, some discretion is still necessary. When someone asks me "Do you have a knife?", I say "What do you need it for?" I have had people use my pocket knife to do such things as pry open a paint can, clean their finger nails :green:, and cut themselves trying to hack open a blister pack (which is a task for shears).

Do not offer to let someone use a pocket knife if:
    - you think they may react negatively
    - you think they may cut themselves
    - you think it is not the right tool for the job
    - you think they may flick it around and behave foolishly with it

19. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

or to say the things clearly:
    do not ever let someone use one of your pocket knives

:lolhammer:

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator