1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Weird Question: Does anyone EDC a Netbook?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Pillgrim, Jun 3, 2013.

1. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Most days I carry a Dell XPS 13 ultrabook. It's got a Core i7 processor, 4GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. Plenty fast for my needs, and it's also small and light. When I need to carry something smaller and lighter, I carry my Nexus 7 tablet.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

2. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I carry a HP Envy m6 it had the best graphics card I could find for gaming, It can get me to this website which is all I need, and It has notepad so I can shutdown my home PC remotely.:D

3. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

server time out

4. xxkid123

xxkid123 Loaded Pockets

I own and use an Asus EeePC 1001px as my main computer, so obviously I've carried it around a bit too...the experience has been interesting. With the n450 processor, and a lot of the other atom processors, your performance is going to be pretty crappy at best, but it's still doable. The new netbooks running around with celerons (the B### 1.1ghz something something) seem to be much faster and snappier.

From my use, I think that traditional netbooks, running full OS's are pretty much obsolete. A netbook is made for out and about running around stuff, yet they're slow to boot up and to get into a working condition. A windows netbook might need a full minute to reach a point where you can start working, with linux that time might be shortened to 30 seconds. Turning it off requires navigating to a menu (more time!), and standby mode can be a little iffy with a limited battery. Usually I use mine after class ends to work on random projects, so I really notice that time.

However, with a tablet or a chromebook, you're looking at seconds to do everything and standby modes optimized for speed and battery saving. You no longer really have to worry about getting your computer running, and then cleaning up afterwards (aka turning it off), it's just there, ready to work.

Just my two cents, I haven't used a tablet or chromebook of course, although like I previously mentioned, I do use a traditional netbook a lot, and I comparing time spent doing things to my smartphone (or a mini tablet if you think about it).

5. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

I have two Asus eeePC 1000HE, a black and a white.

The black one is somewhat of a clone to my desktop, it has all the software I use, it gets updated when I update something on the desktop and I sync all my important data to it a couple of times per week with one click. That, I used to carry daily for years when I was working for a company far from my home, it's useful for a programmer to have all his code, notes, emails e.t.c. with him when working away from his PC. At this point I carry it mostly when I travel but very few times as an EDC. It still plays various important roles on my home setup, but that's another conversation.

The white one has only a few programs installed and it's what I carry when I need to have a PC with me (with it, sometimes, I also carry a tiny 3G WiFi Router). I also carry it when I need a PC downstairs, at backyard, where the king goes alone e.t.c.

6. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a netbook, Toshiba NB-Something, it served it purpose, sold it over a year ago and bought a galaxy Tab 7 for couch surfing and holidays. The times they are a changing.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

My MacBook air uses very little power on standby (I have switched it off once since I bought it, for a flight, I'm not counting rebooting for a software update though)
    If I didn't have a password to enter it would wake from sleep in less than 5 seconds, with the password it's less than 10
    It has pretty good battery life when working, and lasts a month if I just put it to sleep and away in my bag, and does tasks that I just can't do on an iPad (process .cr2 raw files, dump pictures to a hard drive, edit video)
    All in a package not that much bigger than a 10" tablet like the iPad.
    Sure it's not a "netbook" as such, but it is an ultraportable computer, in a similar form to the netbooks.

I do agree with your statement though, work has a bunch of "pool" netbooks, that nobody ever uses.
    The idea is, journalists take a netbook out with them to jobs, to file stories with quickly from remote locations.
    In reality, most journalists have bought their own iPad or similar tablet that does the same job, much quicker and easier

8. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Don't carry one

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

+1 Why yes.... it's just like computing.... with oven mitts on. :nah_disagree:

Portability is a nice things, but sometimes there are definite drawbacks. There's a lot to be said for touch typing...

Somtimes, it hard not to picture this:

Plus some mobile versions of online apps are essentially handicapped versions of the originally. Google Maps provides a "classic" link allowing you to use the same version you would use on your desktop as kind of a reluctant admission of this.

ATB,
    Sam

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Writing this out on a Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 which I carry pretty much everywhere.

Display is daylight viewable, so it's a map reader/MP3 player in the truck, and I use it for pretty much everything else I don't need my work desktop for.

11. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I have a Acer Aspire One, dual core, 8gb ram, 120 ssd hd, Windows 8 running through Classic Shell, that I leave at work during the week and bring home on the weekends. I keep everything needed in a :censored: sitch on it, all of my Ham radio programmers, important pdf docs etc... Its a redundant set-up to my main laptop which stays in the shack, I keep these two computers set-up almost identical except for the main rig runs XP. I paid about $200 (WM) for it and another $150 for the ssd drive and 8gb of ram. It is a great little netbook, very fast and pretty darn powerful only drawback being no cd-rom drive.

12. scanchattanooga

scanchattanooga Loaded Pockets

I sorta-EDC a Panasonic Toughbook CF-19. Win 7, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD. It's become my main computer as most of my knowledge base lives in a MediaWiki install on this computer - which right there rules out a tablet since I need Apache with PHP support and MySQL.

I'm finding it even more useful with Remote Desktop, since I have an older WinXP box with a big monitor and regular keyboard and mouse, so if I'm at home I can just RDP into it and get the benefits of a big screen and regular keyboard.

Just picked up a 5.11 MPC to tote around the computer, power supply, an iPhone cable and a small USB mouse. Seems to be a perfect fit.

13. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

I just got a MacBook Air 11 to use in some online classes I am taking to get a degree. I'm thinking Maxpedition Typhoon backpack as a EDC/work back to carry it it with all my other crap, or something a little cheaper in that same size and form.

14. cabba2203

cabba2203 Loaded Pockets

I used to EDC a Dell Mini-10" but the batt life was so pathetic on it I stopped. Went to an iPod Touch and now iPad with retina display.

15. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

Galaxy Note 2 fills my mobile computing needs most of the time, if I need a little more I got a ARM Chromebook I just got. Used to have a 10" netbook running Ubuntu, but the battery is pathetic, and the only use for me on the go was a web browser anyway.

Long live the Chromebook!

I just need to find a repurpose for a old netbook.

bzimmerly likes this.
  16. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Check out chromebooks :)

mta5888 likes this.
  17. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

I don't EDC a netbook persay, but I do EDC a Google Nexus 7 or a Samsung ChromeBook. I just got the Chrome Book and have used it almost exclusively for 5 days with no issues. There's 2 things with a learning curve about it; 1. there's no right-click button(use "alt" key and click) 2. there's no delete or home/end keys. Neither one of those are deal breakers in my eye. It weights .7 lbs.

18. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

You can also do a two finger tap on the pad to perform a right click.
    Home is CTRL-ALT-UP
    End is CTRL-ALT-DOWN
    Del is ALT-BACKSPACE

(Yes, I would also prefer separate buttons in each case. :) )

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I always figured if it was necessary for me to have a computer, it would be worth doing properly - so I will typically carry my smartphone on me for the usual sort of tasks, but if I wanted to be doing something more intensive than checking wikipedia or email it would be worth having a proper laptop with me...

Tablets and netbooks seem like an odd inbetween to me - awkward enough to carry that you need to be carrying them in a bag or case, but at the same time not really powerful enough to do more than view media or small scale tasks. I can still see how many people find them so useful, but at the same time just can't see much need to spend the money myself - my android and macbook suit me for the moment.

For those who do use them for typing much, how about a bluetooth keyboard? I am pretty sure I have seen a friend using a generic apple wireless keyboard with his ipad, which does seem like a good compromise for typing longer passages if you are not a fan of the virtual keyboards (though I will admit that I have actually gotten on with them surprisingly well on the ipads I have used - you do lack that tactile feedback, but it is still surprisingly easy to accomplish near-touch-typing.

20. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: