1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Weekly Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by victograph, May 31, 2020.

1. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Curious, and probably not doing it to the level of others, but I’ll ask to learn. I do carry one knife daily, it was a kershaw scallion, now its this bugout. They stay in my right front pocket. I don’t have a large rotation collection so it’s there daily. Each week or two I stop and take the blade out to check it for loose screws, I will run the blade through the ceramic sharpener with a little oil, remove any lint and wipe the blade with 90% isopropyl alcohol.
    The small blades I barry are in slip cases and about once a month get an edge check and clean.
    Wondering if others out there follow a regiment with their edc carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Mabrowns

Mabrowns Loaded Pockets

I like Stropping then alcohol cleaning

3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Nightly if I used the knife I'll check the edge and sharpen or strop. Maybe a drop of oil if it needs it.

Monthly I take my auto apart and clean it.

4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If they don’t grind, I don’t mind.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

colin.p and bringerofgame like this.
  5. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

I carry two knives regularly (EDC). One is the Executive from Victorinox and the other is the 535BK-2 Bugout. I use Spyderco ceramic stones and rods (absolutely no oil or water on them). If either has been used, I check the blades later at home and give a swipe or three on the Spyderco fine stone/rod.

I would up your game, OP, from that pull through sharpener and maybe buy Smith's 3 in 1 system or the Lansky rod box. Both are around $20 and will serve you much better.

But sure, all tools, to work their best, need to be maintained. Just drop the oil from sharpening with ceramic. No good. Try gun oil (like Remington) for lubing the hinge on your knife. Benchmade sells something too.

6. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the information, will look into the sharpeners, and gun oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Not a regular weekly thing, but I put my EDC UKPK S110V on the Sharpmaker (extra fine stones) every couple of weeks or so, depending on how it feels. Oil is quarterly or when I think it needs it but, as I cut fruit with mine every day or so, I use olive oil rather than mineral.

My SwissChamp gets a bath every quarter with the assistance of a couple of sizes of bristle brush, and a drop of two of olive oil once dry.

8. Stealth digger

Stealth digger Loaded Pockets

I sharpen at least once a week with daily use and most of my gear gets cleaned frequently.

9. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I have no maintenance routine with my blades, mainly because I have quite a few so it'd take a couple of hours to go through them all, assuming full disassembly, cleaning, and sharpening.

I have six 3.25"-4" defensive folders that get rotated through, one for every day of the week Sun-Fri, while the Friday blade gets carried on Saturday as well. I also carry a medium stockman as a general use knife. These seven are by far my most-carried and most-used. They only get cleaned when they appear or feel dirty. They only get sharpened when I find myself dissatisfied with their cutting performance. Otherwise, stuff gets left alone.

I note whether or not a knife needs cleaning when I empty my pockets at night, and my blades dont dull if they don't get used, so if I go a week without cutting anything then there is no need to sharpen or strop.

No maintenance routine: just service as needed.

colin.p, Moshe ben David and Lateck like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

A man after my own heart! :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

11. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Most often, if the knife seems to not be sharp enough for me, as I am walking through the kitchen I will run it over a honing steel or the diamond hone. That usually works. Previously I used a Spyderco Sharpmaker on my folding knives but I recently got a set of Japanese wet stones and I will be using that on my folding knives form now on. Hell, I don't do weekly maintenance on my guns let alone my folding knives.:)

12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My EDC rotation are all M390 or CPM-20CV steel. They hold great edges and I've never had a corrosion problem. When one gets less than super sharp, I sharpen it (usually on a Sharpmaker). When they get dirty I clean them. After any kind of service, I lubricate them.

During cold months I'll probably sharpen them once. During the summer, when I'm out and using them a lot more, maybe twice.

If I have to wash a folding knife in water due to whatever I did to it, I will blow all the water out with air as much as possible and then take extra care with lubrication.

13. Moshe ben David

I'm one who only sharpens a knife when it just isn't cutting. I don't mean not shaving hair sharp. I mean not cutting. ;). But then, I don't really do any intense cutting chores. No routine breaking down of boxes, etc.

You might even ask why I have the collection I do and why I rotate them etc... given the above. Heck, I just like knives. And other sorts of hand 'tools'...pens for example. But I digress..

Regarding cleaning. Since my knives are lightly used, not much cleaning gets done. The exception both at home and when I'm out would be a knife I use for food. Apples, cheese, etc for snacks. I have two knives in a special pocket slip dedicated to use at restaurants. Which these days are lonely and forlorn (the knives I mean ;) ). I'm a diabetic, so I always have a couple of alcohol wipes in my wallet and at home -- come in handy for instance for prep for glucose testing. I use wipes like this to clean off a blade after the food prep, on the spot. Really do the trick; no water involved.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

BklynBoy and chaosmagnet like this.
  14. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I don't have a regular regimen to cleaning and service. It gets done when needed. I carry a SAK Pioneer and a Case or Buck Stockman daily. I do have a BM AFCK and a few similar knives that I haven't carried in years and when I did I never took them apart. Just flushed them with hit water as I do with my Buck 110/112.

Also around here calling a knife a "defensive weapon" is just asking for trouble.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Used daily, taken care of daily. Kind of like a woman. Maybe I shouldn't have said that...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

16. Moshe ben David

No....I think you're right on the money!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

A.B. likes this.
  17. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Yikes! I didn't know they needed maintenance. I sharpen my Executive on the bottom of a coffee cup and these.....oh well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

colin.p, Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Sharpening on the bottom of a CERAMIC coffee cup counts... depending on the cup and how much steel you need to remove! ;). I trust @Willy knows what he's doing. ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

19. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Ceramic??? That explains a lot.

20. Moshe ben David

Or could be porcelain. Technically, ceramic and porcelain refer to the same sort of thing; both are fired clay. Porcelain just is based on a clay with somewhat different mineral content and finer grain size. Usually porcelain is tougher than ceramic. fyi, I sold flooring for a few years.... ;). There are even some porcelains that are machinable like steel...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David